WTF gear oil do you use?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
ok,
so fsm calls out API GL-5 SAE-90 gear oil for the front and rear differential. with my elocker rear and standard front i will need just over 4.5 quarts.

royal purple makes a synthethic API GL-5 SAE 90 oil, called Max-gear. sounds great, except i dont want to buy a five gallon bucket of the stuff!!
no one carries it any smaller.

what else do you use?
i thought of redline, but i am told that the friction modifier is sold separately and you have to mix it..then comes how much is right for our trucks...etc....

the friction modifier from what i understand is just for the gear mesh. it has nothing to do with the locker.

but according to redlines site, the 75-90 comes with the modifier in it already.

i guess SAE 90 is just an old oil type and everyone is going to 75w or 80w 90.

i can get royal purple 75w-90 but is like $20 a quart around here.

I'm pretty sure you only need a friction modifier for a limited slip differential but it won't hurt to run it in a normal diff. Yes the 75w-90 already has it in it according to the website. They use to sell it with and without and I always used the without. It was labelled 75W-90NS. I see now that they only sell the NS in a 75W-140.

Why the high dollar gear oil (Royal Purple, etc)?

Yeah, I use to be all about paying too much for synthetic gear oil (Amsoil), but I'm not doing that anymore. Doesn't make sense on a vehicle that I never drive more than 10000 miles a year, and occasionally get into water and I may need to drain & refill the diffs.

Whatever you get, go the 5 gallon pail route, and get a bucket pump. Sooooo much easier than trying to pour that stinky stuff into the diff/trans/transfer, and having it get all over you and your floor.

You don't need a friction modifier for an elocker. I have elockers front and rear in my '85 and I used Redline 75w-90. I used the same stuff in my diff but I used the Redline MT-90 in the 5 speed.

I fully agree. I use:

Redline MT-90 in the transmission (Gl-4)
Redline 75w-90 in the Transfer Case, Front Diff, and rear diff. (GL-5)

KLF has a decent point.

what mineral based oils do you guys like if i decide to go that route.

see my thinking is the synthetic stuff wont degrade cause there is no petroleum in it

I use NAPA 80w90 in the diffs and xfer. Never had a problem with it, but I also do the scheduled checks and maintenance. It's 4.99 a qt and is GL5.

All gear oil will degrade over time, even the synthetic stuff. In our world of off-roading, the enemy is water and dirt. Just remember that if you keep water out of it, even conventional gear lube is good for 30-50K drains.

If you run high dollar gear oil, you will be reluctant to drain it after you're in significant water, and since water is the real problem, that's bad.

The cheap stuff is fine. I like the "Coastal" brand you get at AutoZone. It's cheap, meets every spec there is and you don't feel bad about a full truck drain fill after a hard weekend. It's about $50 for 5 gallons, (used to be $20 for 5 gallons-that was a steal). Our local diff guy recommends Valvoline. It's on the cheaper end of the spectrum too-roughly $75 per 5 gallons.

Yeah, I use to be all about paying too much for synthetic gear oil (Amsoil), but I'm not doing that anymore. Doesn't make sense on a vehicle that I never drive more than 10000 miles a year, and occasionally get into water and I may need to drain & refill the diffs.

Whatever you get, go the 5 gallon pail route, and get a bucket pump. Sooooo much easier than trying to pour that stinky stuff into the diff/trans/transfer, and having it get all over you and your floor.

My transfer case and rear axle overheat when driving in the central valley of California (75mph in a 4800lb truck in 105°*heat). Swapping to Luscas Synthetic helped a lot.

But I run Carquest Gear Oil (rebadged valvoline) in the front axle and transmission.

IMHO, it depends on the rig and its use. My Mini is used as my trail rig and I concur with those that feel high$ synthetic is a waste when it will probably see low mileage and extreme dust and moisture exposure. So, short change interval.

However, my 80 series is another story. Yes, it is every much as capable off road as the Mini, in some respects more capable. But for now, and while it's still a reliable extended trip (even on paved road) rig, it gets only Amsoil Synthetic Gear Lube (axles and Xfer case). I have experienced the difference in sub-zero temps and and am convinced as long as the seals are sound and the breathers are open and working, it's the way to go. But, I also run only Amsoil Synthetic motor oil, bearing grease and ATF in it, and to quote a phrase, that's how I roll:rolleyes:

I just use a John Deere 75-90W?, or what ever it is that is close to that that I have around the farm for tractor use. I change it every 2 to 3 years so I'm changing it much more often than needed mileage wise.

Yeah, go the 5 gallon pail route and get a pump.

IMHO, it depends on the rig and its use.

Yes, I'm with you on this. I need to do the diffs and transfer in our Highlander, it certainly never sees off-road, so it will get Amsoil in this case.

i agree with most of what was said.
so my truck is a daily driver occasional wheeler. i see why the road queens need the high$ stuff and the serious offroad rigs should use the cheap stuff.

i think i might go the cheap route for now. then see how many times i go offroad / submerge the axles and what not.

thanks

oh yeah. those are for sure going on when i swap in my new axle.

so hopefully by the end of this weekend i will have my completely rebuilt rear axle with tacoma elocker installed, as well as new leaf spring bushings front and rear.

i would add the front to this weekend's list too, but i feel like that might be a little optimistic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom