Windshield Misery Part 2 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Another try at installing my windshield today ended in frustration. This time using a Toyota seal, if you remember my earlier post the brand x seal was rock hard and I couldn't even get it to stay on the glass. Try number two took me over an hour but using duct tape as I went I got the seal on the glass. I thought it best to let it sit for a week to take on that shape. Today leaving as much tape as I could I tried installing it in the frame and in minutes the glass came out of the seal and I gave up in disgust. This is not my first rodeo as I have done flat and curved windshields on old trucks with no problem. Looking back at those the seal fit the glass and stayed on during the installation. The one glass shop in my town tried with the old gasket and couldn't get it installed and nicely told me to come take it home. I'm at wits end and scrambling to see who I can find to do this. Has anybody here had a similar problem like this or maybe came up with something I'm not doing? This one thing is taking all the fun out of my project!

DSCF1227.JPG

Last edited:
Another try at installing my windshield today ended in frustration. This time using a Toyota seal, if you remember my earlier post the brand x seal was rock hard and I couldn't even get it to stay on the glass. Try number two took me over an hour but using duct tape as I went I got the seal on the glass. I thought it best to let it sit for a week to take on that shape. Today leaving as much tape as I could I tried installing it in the frame and in minutes the glass came out of the seal and I gave up in disgust. This is not my first rodeo as I have done flat and curved windshields on old trucks with no problem. Looking back at those the seal fit the glass and stayed on during the installation. The one glass shop in my town tried with the old gasket and couldn't get it installed and nicely told me to come take it home. I'm at wits end and scrambling to see who I can find to do this. Has anybody here had a similar problem like this or maybe came up with something I'm not doing? This one thing is taking all the fun out of my project!

View attachment 3491319
Have you tried putting it in the frame, and then installing the glass into it?

Wow. I guess I would try using a small bead of weather strip adhesive in the channel to bond the gasket to glass. Let it dry for a few days. Make sure the glass is oil/release agent free first. Maybe your rope is too thick in the outside channel. I haven't done a wind shield since the mid 70's.

You have a helper?
I thought my rubber was too big (yeah yeah) but with help pushing and fiddling with it on the outside it went in easily as I pulled cord on the inside.

Is it the correct glass? early vs late?

Did you test fit the glass in the frame to see what the gap looked like and then check the thickness of the material in the center of gasket to be sure there is enough gap to allow gasket to set proper ? more helpers

+1 for an extra 2 set of hands. You might try warming up the seal on the side you are pulling the rope out, and hot soapy water.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom