What does the second speed sensor do in FZJ80? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm swapping a hydraulic A440 into my 1994 FZJ80 as part of my swap to a 4bd1 diesel. In doing so there are a couple differences in the wiring I am trying to sort out. One is the fact that my A442F has two speed sensors. I am keeping the original tcase so the larger sensor mounted on the tailshaft housing of the tcase will be kept. However, there is a second one thats mounted on the driver's side towards the rear of the trans. What does it do?

I'm also trying to figure out how to wire in the lockup solenoid for the A440. The A442 has about five or six wires going to the solenoid where as the A440 only has two. It appears this is because the 442 locks up in the earlier gears instead of just overdrive in the A440. Any tips on wiring that bit up?

The last part is the neutral safety switch and gear selector. Anyone have a wiring diagram for a 91 FJ80 trans handy that they could send me? I need to figure out how to make the four position gear selector work in the three position spot.

I saw some discussion about these two signal lines in the Mitsubishi swap thread.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/mi...swap-into-94-fzj80.401163/page-4#post-6515965

Post #72 in particular.

This was generally confirmed in my Mitchell Repair Manual: VSS1 is located toward the tcase and shows actual speed. VSS2 monitors magnetic pulse signals of the transmission output shaft speed. I'm still not sure what Mr.T uses the No. 2 Speed Sensor for though.

Here is a table for the different solenoid conditions for your shift selector:
upload_2014-6-17_7-0-34.png

I wasn't able to find the analgous information for the A440 equipped 80s, but here's what your rig was designed with: I can shoot you the pin-out for the TCU connectors if you need them.
upload_2014-6-17_7-8-26.png

upload_2014-6-17_7-12-6.png

upload_2014-6-17_7-12-37.png

upload_2014-6-17_6-56-17.png

Thanks man! Here's to hoping that second speed sensor is just a back-up or only used by the trans control :)

I think the answer to most my questions lies in comparing the FJ80 wiring diagrams with the FZJ80 diagrams. I'm hoping I can find an FJ80 diagram...

Thanks man! Here's to hoping that second speed sensor is just a back-up or only used by the trans control :)

I think the answer to most my questions lies in comparing the FJ80 wiring diagrams with the FZJ80 diagrams. I'm hoping I can find an FJ80 diagram...

The A440 is very easy, I used a continuity tester connected to one pin of the NSS at a time to figure out what went were. Took about 5min. I then used my 97 EWD to pin out that side. The NSS has a large white/black red/black wire going into one plug. That is the actual starter signal wire only time its got continuity is in Park.

The A440 does not had electronic lockup. That two wire plug is actually what the Cruise control uses to kick the trans out of OD (lockup) and cant make the trans lock up any faster than it would normally.

The only speed sensor you need to worry about is the one on the tale housing.

...via IH8MUD app

That's good to know. I think keeping the ability for electronic TC lock-up will be reason enough for me to stick with the A442 when I do my swap.

After a little coffee, I was able to find the electronics schematics for the 91 FJ80. Here is the relevant block.
upload_2014-6-17_9-24-12.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom