What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (72 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Finally got around to starting my spare tire carrier. Got most of the way done. Have to make a spring pin assembly and cut the extra length off the main body. Paint and mount. But this is where it is now.

I see Jason....

I see Jason....
That's hilarious! I sent my wheeling buddy the pics yesterday and that was his response too LOL! I installed wheel studs just after the pictures so Jason is gone now. The spindle, latch and mounting plate came from Comp4x4 so I had no input on the Jason mask.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1429217950.417759.jpg

Spent some time digging through all my spare Yakima stuff to be able to cobble together 8 1A gutter mounts and 4 cross bars. Had to hack saw some stuff to get it all to work and fit. Some of this stuff is 20 years old.

Either way when I was done I put it to immediate use and went to a local mtn bike trail.

View attachment 1062474
Spent some time digging through all my spare Yakima stuff to be able to cobble together 8 1A gutter mounts and 4 cross bars. Had to hack saw some stuff to get it all to work and fit. Some of this stuff is 20 years old.

Either way when I was done I put it to immediate use and went to a local mtn bike trail.

Nice epic! But how da heck did you put it up there? :D

Nice epic! But how da heck did you put it up there? :D
Thanks! It's the World Cup edition and I've been pretty happy with it. My prior Epic was alum and I shaved 8 lbs going to the carbon frame.

Anyway, until I figure something out hitch wise to use my hitch mounted bike rack I have a small step ladder to get the bike up on the roof. It comes up to about the height of my rock sliders which is high enough to get it in the roof but not so talk that it's a pain to fold up and put in the back of the truck.

Added some new wheels to the fleet. This time for the munchkin.

It's got a solid axle in the rear and IFS front - looking for lift & oversized tire options.

image.jpg

Added some new wheels to the fleet. This time for the munchkin.

It's got a solid axle in the rear and IFS front - looking for lift & oversized tire options.

Lockers? The color is perfect! Are you going with ARB or 4X4 labs for the front bumper?

Got my rear section of exhaust made. I fanned the front half over the frame couple yrs ago. Glad to have the rear half out if harms way.
Also cut up 2 bad truxxs mts . I have to send the cutouts back to 4 wheelparts for my refund. My truck drives so smooth without two out of round tires!!
IMAG3159.jpg
IMAG3163.jpg
IMAG3157.jpg

That's pretty slick how you routed the exhaust through the skid on the bumper. I'm gonna remember that when I get around to redoing my exhaust.

????????????
After a year of trying to track down a shake I had a suspicion of tires all along. I had them road force balanced. Two tires where out of round/egg. So I got new ones from 4wheelparts under factory warranty. I had to send cutouts with dot #. Also they measure how much tread. Over 50% is full refund.

I had 5 new SCS F5 wheels installed.

There's a bit of a story behind it:

I'm admittedly picky when it comes to taking my 80 or other vehicles anywhere to have something done that I can't do. People make fun of me about it, and I make fun of myself, but, I'm not a dic* about it. When I dropped my 80 off at my local Discount Tire today, I told the rep that I wanted to be upfront by letting him know I'm a picky guy (despite the dents, cracked flares, etc., (that were mostly there when I bought it)). He was awesome about it, and said, "so, basically, don't scratch the wheels?" I laughed and nodded, and said, "I'd happily pay a higher-than-normal fee so your guys could take their time and you wouldn't lose money." I'm not sure if he did or not, though.

About an hour later I got a call from the manager--turns out they'd scratched one wheel all the way around the lip. He was apologetic, confident and professional, and had a corrective plan prepared (local alloy wheel repair, and if that didn't suffice, wheel replacement). I thanked him for his honesty. These things happen.

It was worse than I expected, with a moderate groove that may have impressed the metal. Before having the repair guy have a go, I wanted to talk to Vin at SCS.

Anyway, here are some pics of the wheel packaging, wheels unmounted and wheels mounted.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1429395914.244447.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1429395927.581954.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1429395937.353698.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1429395955.012752.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1429395970.453528.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1429395980.493203.jpg
Yes, that's a Target bag on my winch. It was really rainy today and I have yet to find a winch cover I like. I told you I'm picky.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1429395996.399951.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1429396009.407517.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1429396021.562636.jpg
The scratch, which doesn't look as bad in pics.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1429396133.312539.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom