Want to straight pipe my 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Want to know the best way to go about this straight pipe. I plan to have a local shop use 2.5" from the remaining cat back. Is it possible to eliminate the cat and still have the 02 sensors operate and have the engine run well? No motor mods or performance equipment installed yet

It doesn't sound nice. My truck had the exhaust flange break off the muffler so I was cat-back straight pipe for a couple of drives. An inline 6 just doesn't have a good exhaust note IMHO. Seemed to have less power with the open pipe than I do with a full exhaust system.

Want to know the best way to go about this straight pipe. I plan to have a local shop use 2.5" from the remaining cat back. Is it possible to eliminate the cat and still have the 02 sensors operate and have the engine run well? No motor mods or performance equipment installed yet

Depends on the year. 91-94 are OBDI, so only have O2 sensors pre-cat, so you can weld in o2 bungs into the exhaust. 95-97 are OBDII with sensors after the cat, so will throw a constant code.

You'll want something in there (muffler, resonator, both). I deleted my cat, but think I need to add a resonator. Sounds pretty redneck right now.

The tail pipe rotted off and there is a super budget muffler installed now. All the hangers are rotten or gone so a full system would have to have all those reattached. Just looking to simply route the exhaust and not spend a fortune

I've always liked the sound of a V8 with short / free exhausts but the 6 is just not the same. My old 390 with dual magnaflows sounded amazing, at least to me and everyone that within two miles that could hear it. If there are ideas to get a nice reasonable burbly sound out of the 6, I'm all ears. pun intended.

There are full systems available that sound pretty good

Depends on the year. 91-94 are OBDI, so only have O2 sensors pre-cat, so you can weld in o2 bungs into the exhaust. 95-97 are OBDII with sensors after the cat, so will throw a constant code.

You'll want something in there (muffler, resonator, both). I deleted my cat, but think I need to add a resonator. Sounds pretty redneck right now.
1995. Before and after cats but no obdII port

It will be very loud, and very s***ty sounding with no muffler.

So it is. Never really looked. I was going by the MD emissions person. Why would they know?

So it is. Never really looked. I was going by the MD emissions person. Why would they know?

They don't. Toyota and many others started compliance with OBD2 a little early. Won't matter to the test monkey because his book says not until 1996.

Mine just runs straight next to the outside of the frame and dumps right before the rear tire. Not great, but was cheap and allows me to hear the engine which was the goal. I do wish it was lower pitch but maybe even just a larger diameter pipe would help.

It's an off-road vehicle with a forklift engine, not a supercharged V8 in a sports car. Trying to make it sound like one is like trying to get blood from a stone.

no cats- y-pipe post o2 sensors on 94.....to 2.5"- a little too much flow- added a ducati adjustable flow restrictor and power came back as well as allowing backpressure to make straight thru mufflering work. straight thru with 2.5 didnt have enough backpressure to allow muffler to work effectively. lots of drone prior to restriction. this is a 26" -4" diam. muffler

image.jpg

no cats- y-pipe post o2 sensors on 94.....to 2.5"- a little too much flow- added a ducati adjustable flow restrictor and power came back as well as allowing backpressure to make straight thru mufflering work. straight thru with 2.5 didnt have enough backpressure to allow muffler to work effectively. lots of drone prior to restriction. this is a 26" -4" diam. muffler

View attachment 1144785
Thank you sir,
Don't want it to sound like a supercharged V8 just was looking for some sound and mostly a little more zoom

View attachment 1144785
Plus that looks like it's tucked up very nicely

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom