"THE" FJ45 build thread (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Solution: Cut the body rib to bring the brake booster closer to the firewall ;p

Put the keyboard down and send me MY WELDER!;p

Firewall booster clearance New
Well here's a few more pics on the build. The rest of the brakes went in fairly smooth with some nifty tube bending along the way.
profante01.JPG
profange05.JPG

Disassembled what was left of the ramsey PTO off the old trans and pulled the transfer case. Pulled the clutch and bellhousing to start the 4 speed swap and guess what I found?
prof yl01.JPG

NO, I don't mean MORE YELLOW PAINT!:rolleyes:

A little puddle of oil sitting just outside an AFTERMARKET oil galley plug!:mad: Needless to say, the machine shop that built this motor ~15 years ago has long since gone out of business, so there's nobody for me to :torch: Nothing else to do but pull it and put a stock one back in.
profyl03.JPG

Can I have the pilot bearing. I'm looking for a yellow one.

ZING!

I had considered painting my engine Cat Yellow at some point. But I think this has more than convinced me otherwise. :)

Dan

Mark, What spark plug wires do you recommend using with the Pertronix set up with the coil? Do you sell them, or are they just standard issue?

Mark, I've been using stock Toyota wires for the last 10 years or so that I've been installing these. Haven't seen any issue with them. They go for $33.00 IIRC.

Mark, I've been using stock Toyota wires for the last 10 years or so that I've been installing these. Haven't seen any issue with them. They go for $33.00 IIRC.

So those would be wires from a later model cruiser, ie 78-79 2F, correct?

On to the t-case. Opened it up to find my self looking back into the dark ages. Very, very dark. Pretty much black everywhere. Pulled the guts out and this is what the empty case looked like [lightened with the flash!]
prof tc3.JPG
prof tc1.JPG

One trip to the hot tank, one trip to the beadblaster and it is much more ready for reassembly.
prof tc04.JPG

So, the question remains what you guys are doing about the unobtanium hi-lo shift forks when they get to looking like this?:frown:
prof tc05.JPG

Progress.... at a cost! Finally got the shift fork back from the machine shop and installed. Unfortunately, in the meantime, I pulled something in my back playing volleyball. Nonetheless I was determined to move forward on this project.

Got the 4 speed and the t-case installed. As anyone who's done this swap can attest, the fit is TIGHT! As timing had it, there's no exhaust on the truck at the moment, so it was slightly less work to tip the engine down the extra inch to get the t-case onto the trans!:eek:

I don't think I'll be back under ANY truck anytime soon.:frown:
profant trans inst.JPG

And yes....the oil pan is still yellow!:meh:

Well, this HAS been awhile. Ran into issues with trans tunnel clearances and slowly worked my way thru a 1" body lift on the cab to accomodate the trans. That in turn did a good job of moving the brake master cylinder into the air cleaner lid!:rolleyes:

Between prepping my 45 for Moab, and my 40 for Rubithon, and all the other projects moving thru the shop, the trans tunnel/body lift fitment took a lot longer than expected. Finally all seems sorted out tho.:) Need to shoot a couple of pics of the interior.

What I can tell you about the trans tunnel that was super cool was buying the foam kit from SOR for Mike's 45. This stuff is AWESOME. I got the 40 kit and made a couple of really minor mods to it. Used some of the leftover stuff to trim out the rear section [which is longer than the 40] The foam is BETTER QUALITY than OE, the adhesive is BETTER QUALITY than OE, and the hole spacing was virtually SPOT ON. This was money well spent.

Mike was one of the lucky ones to jump on that killer deal on 33x9.5s from Tire Rack. Ended ordering him up some NEW OE wheels, cause I think the black colored rim looks hella sharp on a red truck.

One pic for now:
MVC-020F.JPG

Firewall adapter
Mike, I finally found the camera with the pics! {I promised Mike I would post more of his build pics when I found them!:doh:]

Mark's Off Road Firewall booster:
CIMG0242.JPG
CIMG0243.JPG

Adding threaded plates to the mounting holes on the frame:
CIMG0126.jpg
CIMG0127.jpg
CIMG0128.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom