Suspension Options (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Reviewed the newbie guide on suspensions options, a lot of talk about the OME suspension package and 1" Body lift. Not looking to do any serious off roading, just some mountain trail riding to my fishing holes. Also, not interested in spending a lot of money. Most of LC budget is going to PMs etc.

What are your reviews on standard bilstein shock upgrade? How much lift do you get? Ride?
Any experience with shock spacers? Brand, ride, etc?
Other options?

I'm sure I've overlooked this same questions somewhere, so please just post the link. Thanks in advance.

Pic of my LC attached, 1993, TX vehicle 129k miles.

Landcruiser 93.jpg

I utilized the stock height progressive springs only from Dobinson. I maintained the stock shocks (new replacements) and refreshed some of the rubber bushings under the truck. Very happy with the results and it did not involve modifying the geometry of the rig. Apparently my truck was seriously sagging prior because it looks like a monster now.

@HankMoody if you are so inclined, check out the Clubhouse section and join Olde North State Cruisers. They are a great bunch of guys and gals. I stumbled on them years ago while looking for the Relic Run event held in April. Preventative maintenance is the best place to start. Fred Anderson Toyota online will be your best deals for the shocks. You can even order online and pick up in person. There are multiple vendors on MUD that would like your support. Research the “Bad Vendors Beware” thread somewhere on here to save yourself the headache of dealing with less than Honorable companies or people. OEM is a little more coin that aftermarket but I am a snob so OEM usually gets my vote.

I purchased my Dobinson’s from @crikeymike in Florida. I am not sure if he is still active or not.

@HankMoody if you are so inclined, check out the Clubhouse section and join Olde North State Cruisers. They are a great bunch of guys and gals. I stumbled on them years ago while looking for the Relic Run event held in April. Preventative maintenance is the best place to start. Fred Anderson Toyota online will be your best deals for the shocks. You can even order online and pick up in person. There are multiple vendors on MUD that would like your support. Research the “Bad Vendors Beware” thread somewhere on here to save yourself the headache of dealing with less than Honorable companies or people. OEM is a little more coin that aftermarket but I am a snob so OEM usually gets my vote.

I purchased my Dobinson’s from @crikeymike in Florida. I am not sure if he is still active or not.
Crickey Mike is active and very responsive to email via the Exit Offroad website for Dobinsons springs and shocks. He's been great at helping me sort out what I want to do with my suspension.

33" tires, OEM shocks, and decent 1.5-2"-lift springs with or w/o small spacers will get you to all your fishing holes without spending too much money.

I started out with the 1" body lift and new shocks. It made a difference in tire clearance but still rode like a 250K+ mile truck. Biggest difference came when I put on the new ICON springs.

I am happy with my lift + body lift but if I were looking to do what you are doing, I would not do the body lift. It was a big pain in the butt. I'd get replacement stock height springs from OME or Dobinsons and maybe some 20mm coil spring spacers just for a little height. Easy enough to add those while you have the springs out. If you wanted to level the stance go 30mm in the front and 20mm in the back. Then add some new shocks and enjoy. While you can clear 33's on the stock set up I found they do rub a bit at full flex and the extra little bit of height also helps reduce the center of the truck getting hung up on stuff.

I used OME spacers to level my stance and they have been fine. Really any spacer from a quality name will probably do nicely.

Dont do a body lift. You can get Old Man Emu springs from cruiser outfitters for less than $400. $187 a pair for light springs that will give you mild lift. Add in dobinson caster corrections bushing for $97 and you'll be better of then doing a body lift

Mr Moody, you are in a great location with a very active club presence willing to help and provide guidance.

Excellent advice above already provided. Agree to skipping the body lift. Put on a set of stock height replacement spring and tokico OEM replacement shocks and save the money for fishing gear.

Option b would be possibly adding 20-30mm spacers to the springs (perhaps front only if you travel light and prefer level stance) but I would jump right to option c if you wanted more than stock height (which will net you 1-1.5” lift due to aging fatigued springs) and go for an old man emu medium lift or a comparable 2” lift spring via dobinson or icon. This is a 2.5” lift but you’ll likely see more than that due to the aged springs in place now. With this you’ll want extended brake lines and caster correction ... I’d opt for plates or emkeith drop brackets over poly bushings.

Add a set of 33s / 285s and enjoy the cruiser life ahead. Hope to see you out on the trails soon.

Thank you everyone for all the great feedback! Going to look into some new springs and the associated needed accessories, thanks again. I'll let you all know how it turns out.

I'll play devil's advocate on the body mount question. I run 33s on stock coils and new stock shocks. I have a 1" body lift, no flares, and 10.5" wide skinny tires. It doesn't rub anywhere under full flex. I am planning on going with the dual rate OME stock height springs soon.

What are your reviews on standard bilstein shock upgrade? How much lift do you get? Ride?
Any experience with shock spacers? Brand, ride, etc?
Other options?
Shocks are only a dampening device. Ride height is determined by springs. Taller springs or spring spacers are what you are looking for.

I installed Dob's 2" progressive springs, C59-222V FRONT AND C59-223V REAR, with Dob's IMS shocks. It's a really nice setup, though not quite as soft as my previous TJM 2" progressive (which was too soft once I got a bumper, winch and sliders). I ended up adding spacers, 20mm front and 30mm rear, but you might want to start off with no spacers if you try those same springs. Dob's has a lot of options, I suggest calling up their main office in Florida and talking to Leonardo. He's very knowledgeable about the 80 Series and Dob's numerous offerings. Good luck!

What a lot of people have said. If you are tight on money keep it simple, buy simple but quality. Do a good set of lowish springs like OME861/862. Dont go 3-4" lift and then cry that you have a bunch of issues to fix to make it right.

1.5-2" springs and 285/75/16 will be great. Get alignment checked and if it is out add Landtank plates. Dont mess with aftermarket bushings. As time and money allow PM all your bushings with new oem and put on some good shocks. I have had good luck with Radflo shocks bit others are good. If your allignment numbers are good you can add a little hight with spacers if you want. But you dont need much hight with 285s and it starts getting expensive fast if you do it right.

If you want a bunch of vibrations and bad handling truck then throw a 4" lift on it and dont change all the other stuff on it. No free lunch.

I went some crazy places with 861/862 springs, 285s and armor. I am actually thinking I go back to 285s from 315s when it is time for new tires. I see a trip to Alaska on my radar and it just is nicer on the highway.

The post above echoes many others that I have read on Mud where people are bringing their 4-6 inch lift and 37s back down earth. There is actually a thread on here about what you would do differently if you were to start your build over and many people posted there that they would stick with a lower lift and 33s. There are also some who said they would have just gone with a big lift and big tires to start with, so I am must confess to some confirmation bias on my part. I've done some tough trails with a 2" lift and 33s, and my truck tracks straight, no death wobble and the tires wear evenly. It's easy to drive on highway and trail, and that is worth quite a bit in my book. YMMV.

Last edited:
Leaning towards replacing all the shocks with new OEM shocks, and replacing the coils with a 2" Dobinson.

Talk with Dobinson’s about your end build. Front and rear weight factors into the springs.

Spoke with a Dobinson rep, and recommended not to install their springs on an OEM shock due to possibility of over extending it.

I have the stock height option and used oem shocks. I guess I need to call them to make sure something hasnt changed since I bought the springs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom