Smog pump is dead, idle pulley options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 2f from an '86 fj60 in my Fj40. It is desmogged and I had the smog pump it place just to tension the water pump belt. The smog pump bit the dust, and now I'm looking for a good, budget replacement. I did try gutting the pump and that didn't make a difference.

I think I can put another alternator there, but I need some bracket from an F engine, anybody know what bracket and years it might be? Otherwise I guess I'm looking at the SOR idler pulley.

Thanks in advance

Does your gutted smog pump spin freely. I took every thing out of one, it does not seem anything could ever go wrong with it in its current state. What is yours doing now?

I think Mark A. (Mark's OffRoad in Burbank) has a smog pump replacement pulley too. (?)

I took the impeller veins out, and cleaned out the shrapnel and other grime. When the end cover is off, it spins freely. But when I put the end cover on it binds up. The roller bearings looked to be in decent shape. Maybe I did something during reassembly and it isn't centered properly or something. I'll take another look at it in the morning.

I still want to figure out how to put an alternator in its place, its always nice to have a few options.

I made mine. Boneyard provided the pulley.
idler_sm.jpg
Idler1_sm.jpg

Jim C. builds an idler. His is about $100.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom