replaced smog pump with 2nd Alternator (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

REKCUT

SILVER Star
Threads
I have been promissing pics to several people for some time. Here is my second alternator installed. The alt shop said that the part number is 7977 se and is a GM replacement alt. It you cant find it that way then tell the part store you are replacing a delco #10463140 or a #1101571. These are 2 discontinued alt's that the 7977 replaces. You might take the smog pump with you to set beside it. The holes match perfectly. You will also need to get a pulley that matches the belt width. The install is easy. The hole in the new alt is a larger diameter so I had to make a sleave for it and I had to put a spacer on to move it slightly forward. Bolts up no problem. The wiring depends on what you want. I put in a second battery and keep it seperate from my other system. I run everything aftermarket off of the new alt and battery and all the factory items on the original system. I had the alt shop make the new alt into a 1 wire system. This way I did not have to install it into the wiring harness. There are connections on the back of the new alt. The I wired to a ground on the frame. The other I ran straight to the new battery. Nothing else. It works great. I will eventually use some type of system to connect to the original battery for emergency situations but for now if the first system dies I can jump form the second battery.
Engine shot 005.jpg
Engine shot 003.jpg

Last edited:
That Alt looks close to one that works on a 92 GM pickup. (it may be the same).
I'm going to look into doing the same thing.

They said that it replaces several GM applications. The best part is that the bolt pattern is the same.

Two questions for you: what is involved in making the alt a 1 wire setup? You said you had the alt shop convert it.

Second, what pulley did you use?

Did you or are you doing a complete desmog? Or did you just get rid of your smog pump? (can you do that with out neg. effects) My smog pump is starting to act up and not sure which way i should go, just gut smog pump or replace it.. I just started looking for threads on the subject. pro's and con's .
I like the idea of a second alt. your set-up looks good.
I was wondering how guys get by desmogging and still passing inspection every year.

Two questions for you: what is involved in making the alt a 1 wire setup? You said you had the alt shop convert it.

Second, what pulley did you use?

I Went to a alt speciality shop that makes them for commercial trucks. I took them my smog pump and they came up with the alt that had matching bracket holes. I forget how much it was but it was an extra $25 to modify it to a one wire. He said it was straight forward. He just removed the plastic plug and replaced it with a stud for the wire. I dont know if he did more than that inside but acted like they do it all the time. I initially had problems getting it to excite after it sat for a while. They use these in race cars and the longer it sit the higher you need to rev it to excite the alt. 3-4K RPMs is no problem for a race car but that was tough on my 2f. I added a momentary button on my dash and the alt shop added a plug to the original port on the alt that leads a second wire to the switch and then to the battery. When I hit that switch it excites the alt. I can take pics and get the phone number to the shop if your interested in seeing how they modified the alt.

They pulley also came from the same shop. I just tried several before I found the one that worked best. I also rerouted my belts to get a better grip on the alt.

I belt on the Saganaw pump, 2nd alt, water pump and crank pulley, one one the factory alt, water and crank, and one on the ac, crank pulley

Last edited:
Did you or are you doing a complete desmog? Or did you just get rid of your smog pump? (can you do that with out neg. effects) My smog pump is starting to act up and not sure which way i should go, just gut smog pump or replace it.. I just started looking for threads on the subject. pro's and con's .
I like the idea of a second alt. your set-up looks good.
I was wondering how guys get by desmogging and still passing inspection every year.

I did a complete desmog, but if your going to gut your pump you might as well replace it. I believe it would be better if you did a complete job.

Most non left coast states have ways around inspections.

I wish I could do this but I live in Ca as well and the laws are only getting stricter.

Very cool set up.. I like the extra power option. I now run( due to exploded smog F****), a direct belt from crank to water pump, completely bypassing the SP, but am interested in utilizing that belt rotation point for some use. Could it be hooked up to a compressor?

Very cool set up.. I like the extra power option. I now run( due to exploded smog F****), a direct belt from crank to water pump, completely bypassing the SP, but am interested in utilizing that belt rotation point for some use. Could it be hooked up to a compressor?

how does that belt tension without something in the place of the smog pump?

and ive been researching this for a while but cant get a definite answer... the 3fe bracket from that location (lower driverside, where the 62 mounts the alternator), mounted to my 2f, will allow me to put a stock alternator in that location? sorry if this is a hijack, but its sorta relevant:meh:

and ive been researching this for a while but cant get a definite answer... the 3fe bracket from that location (lower driverside, where the 62 mounts the alternator), mounted to my 2f, will allow me to put a stock alternator in that location? sorry if this is a hijack, but its sorta relevant:meh:
kind of a hack job, but I simply spun a napa 36 7/8x 5/16 onto the pully. It was at first an emergency fix, as I was stranded, but I have ~ 2000 miles on the system, and it works perfectly. At first, i was worried about to much tension on the water pump and crank bearing, but it is working out, I guess this is a bit of homegrown/ redneck engineering.

kind of a hack job, but I simply spun a napa 36 7/8x 5/16 onto the pully. It was at first an emergency fix, as I was stranded, but I have ~ 2000 miles on the system, and it works perfectly. At first, i was worried about to much tension on the water pump and crank bearing, but it is working out, I guess this is a bit of homegrown/ redneck engineering.

everybody takes short cuts from time to time:hillbilly:

dont remember how it tightens on the set up I posted. I now have a saginaw with a 4+ bracket that allows me to adjust for the belt. The belt runs around waterpump, PS, 2nd alt, and crank.

Use the 2F alt. You have to cut one ear off of the 3FE motor mount ( half that bolts to the block ) to get it to work. Kevinmrowland did it on his 2F, back in the day, and he loved it.

Last edited:
Not the stock alt but a 3FE alt. You have to cut one ear off of the 3FE motor mount ( half that bolts to the block ) to get it to work. Kevinmrowland did it on his 2F, back in the day, and he loved it.

thanks bud:beer:

thanks bud:beer:

Anytime. I'm probably going to do this myself, but with a 1 wire alt. Seems easier than figuring what to do with the extra wires in a stock 3fe alt.

Not the stock alt but a 3FE alt. You have to cut one ear off of the 3FE motor mount ( half that bolts to the block ) to get it to work. Kevinmrowland did it on his 2F, back in the day, and he loved it.

Almost Johnny, the 60 alt fits in the 62 bracket, that was part of the whole mentality, have all the parts the same.
I have a thread in here somewhere with a bunch of pics.
:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom