Shift Diaphragm Leaking (I think...) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DoubleNickels

SILVER Star
Threads
Finally started to look for the source of leaking gear oil (1989 FJ62). What I though was a leak coming from the front output shaft on the transfer case now appears to be coming from the shift-diaphragm housing thingy (passenger side).

I'm thinking I'll pull the four bolts off that attach it to the t-case, replace with a new gasket, and re-install, in attempt to fix the leak. Before I do so, anything I should know? There are two rubber hoses coming in to the diaphragm - not sure exactly what's flowing through them (air would make sense, considering the 4WD toggle actuates a vacuum switch in the engine compartment).

Also, I'll likely make my own replacement gasket as I'd pretty confident my local O"Reilly's doesn't have one in stock and I'd rather not wait for mail order. Thoughts on this?

Just buy the gasket from Beno dude.

^^^

Aw.... come on. You underestimate my gasket fab capabilities, and my impatience. Both gaskets are essentially rectangles, nothing fancy. I'll give it a shot and let you know how it turns out.

Sorry to keep you all waiting for an update (right....).

Cutting the replacement gaskets was dead simple, but I'm confident the leak was NOT due to bad gaskets. There was one hell of a gouge on the side facing the drive shaft. I suspect a rock flung up perfectly and nailed it.

Ground down the inner surface a bit, degreased it all, and slapped in some steel putty. Holding so far!

20151011_202315.jpg

20151011_191315.jpg

20151011_191252.jpg

I was going to say (as the package does) 'Don't junk it - JB Weld it'

;)

WORD.

I'm usually all for fixing it correctly (disregard homemade gaskets, above). But in this case (non pressurized, non critical, no force) it seemed a perfect solution to just patch it up and bolt it back in!

nothing incorrect about hand cut gaskets. if you still feel bad a few weeks from now, then buy yourself a TIG machine for the next time you find a cracked aluminium case...good work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom