Retrofit HID's and TSX Projectors into my LX470 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Had you purchased Morimoto 8.0 they bolt right on the bracket I designed making the retrofit simple...

Lou, my friend Tony is about to do my LX470 retrofit, i think he's picking up a bracket from you tomorrow as well as some 8.0 projectors. Wanted to pick your brain regarding the oem foglight situation, it is abysmal and doesn't give me much option to choose from since it uses the tiny H3 bulbs. What can i do to get a wall of light to fill in the spots that's right down low and in front of my truck?

I’m not sure about getting a wall of light but
I’ve retrofitted small projectors in the fog light using a small bracket. I would look into Diode Dynamics LED fog/driving Pods mounted in the bumper

I've been working on this mod for 2 days now. Almost done but on inspection the tsx projectors seem to be sitting high in the opening of the metallic reflector piece and on the driver side a little inboard also. I have the projector aimed almost exactly where it was before I started this adventure. I guess I need to take apart and open up the mounting holes in the bracket to shift the projector over?

0111221656_HDR.jpg

0111221655.jpg

I was asking because my bracket was not designed to work with the TSX. Opening up the holes may help but you really won’t know until you adjust the rotation for a level cutoff.
I’ll assume you going this route to save money but your making your job twice as hard and giving up on some output. The TSX is not Bi-xenon
so it doesn’t fire as a HB your giving up some serious output compared to Morimoto H1 8.0.
Feel free to call me…I have a feel tricks to help you center the shroud
703-371-8494 , Lou

I think I have the rotation right...??? I'm happy with how it looks and ecstatic with the light output gain. Yes, going this route to save $ but in the end 10x harder and maybe not worth ithe trouble. I'm all in at 150$. Not sure I would go this route again. I guess I just need to tweak the bracket a bit tomorrow to shift the projector down then find a place to verrify/tweak the aim. I think both headlights are aiming a bit high. From my measurement I'm not losing any height on the beam where it'd should be 2.1 or 2.5 inches per 25 ft bit I don't have a good place yet to really check.

0111222111.jpg

Look at the 4 tabs on the back of the chrome shroud. I’ve used a heat gun on the two at the bottom and trimmed a bit off the sides of all four which will allow approx 1/8 of movement.
Bend the two at the bottom to lower or raise the height and trim as necessary. If you’re successful you should use a little JB Weld in the slots where the tabs rest and hold in place until it sets. Try this before taking everything apart. They don’t have to be perfect and I think you’ll open up a whole new can of worms starting over,

Look at the 4 tabs on the back of the chrome shroud. I’ve used a heat gun on the two at the bottom and trimmed a bit off the sides of all four which will allow approx 1/8 of movement.
Bend the two at the bottom to lower or raise the height and trim as necessary. If you’re successful you should use a little JB Weld in the slots where the tabs rest and hold in place until it sets. Try this before taking everything apart. They don’t have to be perfect and I think you’ll open up a whole new can of worms starting over,
I was thinking of trying something like this. I guess this is better than tearing into it again.

Thanks for the suggestion. I ended up tearing into it again. Only took about 45 min per side to "adjust" up and down is near perfect, side to side is just a touch off but not enough that anyone including myself would notice from less than 18 inches away staring straight at it so I'd say that is a win. I see that you are in Virginia, wondering if you have ever had issues come state inspection time? Headlight retrofit should fail on inspection. I'm guessing as long as the setup looks clean they are not going not know the difference? Also what about aiming the lights? Am I likely to get away with aimed well enough on a wall 25 feet away? I remember 10 years ago getting dinged on an inspection because my headlights here not aimed "correctly". I think the shop was just taking advantage of me??? anyway have you run into issues with either of these two things? Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom