Programming a Transponder Key for 99 TLC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So what's the best solution for a 2003 or 2004? Order remote key from CruiserDan and take it to the local dealer?

Thanks for the help --

So what's the best solution for a 2003 or 2004? Order remote key from CruiserDan and take it to the local dealer?

Thanks for the help --

Maybe. If I remember right when I replaced mine I talked the local dealer down to what CDan would have charged and then discounted the programming because I bought from them... But I could be making that last part up.

I have recently bought keys for two of my Lexus vehicles. If you google it, you can get the program procedure for every year, model of lexus. Two weeks ago I used a guy on ebay out of Cali. I got a new transponder key (no buttons) for $40. You send him a working key and he supplies the key, cuts it and programs it and mails them both back to you. Took six days and I didn't have to drive all over to get my new key. A local lock smith told me I "had" to go to the dealer for a new key on my 2000 LX. If anyone wants the ebay retailers name I can look it up. I couldn't recommend him more.

Programming the transponder that allows the key to start my 2001 LC worked right away. However I have tried step #2 to program the keyless entry remote maybe 20 times, on different days, with no luck. Has anyone else experienced this, and did you find a solution?

EDIT: I should also mention that towards the end of step #2 the door lock/unlock cycles sound weak, almost like the battery is dying.

Programming the transponder that allows the key to start my 2001 LC worked right away. However I have tried step #2 to program the keyless entry remote maybe 20 times, on different days, with no luck. Has anyone else experienced this, and did you find a solution?

EDIT: I should also mention that towards the end of step #2 the door lock/unlock cycles sound weak, almost like the battery is dying.

If it's sounding weak, that means your lock motor's are either on there way out or overtaxed from heat by trying to do the lock toggle too many times in too short of a time period. Try programming your remote sequence using the manual lock/unlock mechanism by the door handle instead of using the power lock buttons.

Programming the remote requires that the timing be pretty consistent so if you're power motor's aren't able to activate in the proper sequence quickly enough, then the programming won't work.

Sending my ECM to Locksmith Charley tomorrow. Took 5 min to take out. Although there are locksmiths in my area who will reflash the ECM, they all want $300 to $450- which is a total rip-off. I have a 2000 with two valet keys and no master. I ordered the fancy 3 button original looking keys on eBay and have them cut and will set them up as two masters once I get it back and set up the other two keys as valet later. He quoted me $150. I have this feeling it is just setting a jumper pin on a circuit board to clear onboard ram- but I'm just guessing. One guy local would do it for $200 but I had to have it in hand and track him down and meet him when I was ready- Houston is a pretty big area so that was not a good option.

Note that some locksmiths have the ability to clone your valet key transponder using some type of device. The local quote was $125 for two keys to do this so if you just want more working keys without sending in your ECM, this may be an option. Sounded sketchy- but two of the 8 locksmiths I called said they could do it.

So this will all cost me $350 for two keys and reflash. But I'm in control of which are masters and it clears out all those others floating around out there. I guess a little cheaper than the $500-$550 for the keys and $100 to install the "free" ECM.

I read most all this thread and the statement that any key can be a master as long as it starts your truck is not true as pointed out by Beno and Dan and others. You must have the master to program or even clear other codes or you must reflash ECM and then those keys could be set up as the master.

image-1077916329.jpg

image-1077916329.jpg

I ordered a key off eBay for $50, and followed the steps here and had one issue.

My door lock actuator is dead, so if yours can't keep up you need to flip it by hand in sync with the lock/unlock steps.

It took me about 20 tries, I thought my replacement master wasn't compatible.

I ordered a key off eBay for $50, and followed the steps here and had one issue. My door lock actuator is dead, so if yours can't keep up you need to flip it by hand in sync with the lock/unlock steps. It took me about 20 tries, I thought my replacement master wasn't compatible.
X2. If your lock will not physically make the complete cycles you will need to flip it as your press the lock and unlock in order to get into programming mode for the door locks.

Last edited:
Sending my ECM to Locksmith Charley tomorrow. Took 5 min to take out. Although there are locksmiths in my area who will reflash the ECM, they all want $300 to $450- which is a total rip-off. I have a 2000 with two valet keys and no master. I ordered the fancy 3 button original looking keys on eBay and have them cut and will set them up as two masters once I get it back and set up the other two keys as valet later. He quoted me $150. I have this feeling it is just setting a jumper pin on a circuit board to clear onboard ram- but I'm just guessing. One guy local would do it for $200 but I had to have it in hand and track him down and meet him when I was ready- Houston is a pretty big area so that was not a good option. Note that some locksmiths have the ability to clone your valet key transponder using some type of device. The local quote was $125 for two keys to do this so if you just want more working keys without sending in your ECM, this may be an option. Sounded sketchy- but two of the 8 locksmiths I called said they could do it. So this will all cost me $350 for two keys and reflash. But I'm in control of which are masters and it clears out all those others floating around out there. I guess a little cheaper than the $500-$550 for the keys and $100 to install the "free" ECM. I read most all this thread and the statement that any key can be a master as long as it starts your truck is not true as pointed out by Beno and Dan and others. You must have the master to program or even clear other codes or you must reflash ECM and then those keys could be set up as the master.
Received the ECM module back quickly from Locksmith Charlie. He communicated the entire way and turned it around the same day he received it. I put it back in and followed his instructions on his website and it worked perfectly. I now have two masters and a valet. Two are exact matches to the factory key fob I got on eBay for $89 each and the other is one the PO had that was previously a valet key. Happy Happy Happy. image-2071767135.jpg

image-2071767135.jpg

Last edited:
Just a clarification for everyone trying this and failing like I did 100 times. If your lock actuator is weak you need to move the lock unlock button from side to side with one hand and then click the button with the other. Count 1 second for each lock and 1 second for each unlock, should work, good luck guys and great thread!

EDIT: I was able to scan in a sheet I had from the Toyota service manual on how to program a new remote. my guess since it is the same as the rest of the info on here is that it will work for nearly all of the years, i know it worked perfectly on my 01.

Attachments

• 2001 Toyota Landcruiser Remote Instructions.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 343
Last edited:
Note that some locksmiths have the ability to clone your valet key transponder using some type of device. The local quote was $125 for two keys to do this so if you just want more working keys without sending in your ECM, this may be an option. Sounded sketchy- but two of the 8 locksmiths I called said they could do it.

This is not sketchy at all; I have a locksmith in Anchorage who will "clone" LC keys for $80 apiece. It takes him about 5 minutes and then he makes you test the new key in all the locks and the ignition before you pay. If the new key doesn't work, then you don't have to pay.

To me it makes a lot more sense to simply replicate the RF-chip from a key that works, rather than ordering dodgy blanks off ebay and then worrying about masters, valets, and programming sequences.

Your mileage may vary.

Last edited:
Just a clarification for everyone trying this and failing like I did 100 times. If your lock actuator is weak you need to move the lock unlock button from side to side with one hand and then click the button with the other. Count 1 second for each lock and 1 second for each unlock, should work, good luck guys and great thread!

EDIT: I was able to scan in a sheet I had from the Toyota service manual on how to program a new remote. my guess since it is the same as the rest of the info on here is that it will work for nearly all of the years, i know it worked perfectly on my 01.

Schwein, thanks for posting this. Dumb question - are you actually pressing the lock/unlock button 10 times to go through a full lock/unlock cycle, as opposed to just lock, unlock, lock, unlock, lock?

After 30-50 tries I got it to work.

The comment above about lock actuators applies not just to the lock/unlock cycles, but ALSO to when the system is attempting to respond to the keypresses on the remote. My driver's door actuator is weak, and I had to manually help the system flip the lock in order for it to finish pairing the remote. Pretty obnoxious process overall, but I now have a flip key and keyless entry.

One last question, do these trucks have alarms when you hit lock twice on the remote?

After 30-50 tries I got it to work. The comment above about lock actuators applies not just to the lock/unlock cycles, but ALSO to when the system is attempting to respond to the keypresses on the remote. My driver's door actuator is weak, and I had to manually help the system flip the lock in order for it to finish pairing the remote. Pretty obnoxious process overall, but I now have a flip key and keyless entry. One last question, do these trucks have alarms when you hit lock twice on the remote?

The only way to set off the alarm is by pressing and holding the red panic button. Holding the unlock or lock button does nothing with the OEM key.

If your door locks cannot keep up, you do indeed need to flip the door lock by hand. It's a pain, but a fresh new key is well worth it.

Can anyone confirm that 60010 is the only key internal guts that will work on 98-02 and key internal number 60140 on the later years?

I just bought on eBay and it will not program. Key that came with car and works is 60010. eBay is 60140.

This is on a 99 LC.

I have read this thread multiple times in the last few years and being that I only have (1) master key with lock/unlock/panic buttons I would like to program another. When I say another, I mean another key with buttons so I had one cut and have tried to program but thus far have failed.

I have a 2000 LC.

First, after reading the thread it appears I must program the key twice; Once to program the lock/unlock function and once more to get the ignition to accept the key. I assume either can be performed first.

First (i began with an attempt to program lock/unlock feature) I followed instructions and was able to get the vehicle into "add mode" (lock unlock cycles once indicating "add mode")but am unsuccessful in getting the buttons to work in the steps afterwards. I know the vehicle is not accepting the new remote as the door locks cycle twice after the last step indicating "registration is not completed code not recognized".

I have (2) questions regarding the steps?
1. Do I use my already existing master key in the beginning steps and then use the new key in the last steps?
2. Or do I use the new key in every step? The instructions do not provide guidance.

The "guts" to my new key have "60010" on the back and the letter "H". Please indicate if this is the correct guts or did I buy a fake?

I was excited when the vehicle went into add mode and all my actuators sounded like they were working (I've had to replace 3 of the motors like many here) but lost faith now that my LC wont accept the new remote. What should I do next?

Thanks/

Got my 06 with only 1 key and was always worried about it! Go to an ACE hardware store and buy from them. I bought my spare key from them and it works great! You do have to get a separate push button control which they also sell!

Can some knowledgable person please respond to post #257.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom