Post editing limit (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

the general editing setting is currently at 24 hours

Parting Out, Mdse Storefront, and Vendor all allow unlimited 1st post edits.

I need to ensure the plugin doesn't create new issues (we had that recently, and downtime sucks) Once I've got some assurances that it works, I'll push the extended 1st post editing out to a few more sections.

Mod powers remain unchanged for all sections...it's 'quite likely' that event-coordination posts in the Clubhouse corners were created by a clubhouse moderator.

This sucks, but I understand why you're doing it. My thread delete capability is also gone :(

edit button is gone (again)

Hi Woody,

I noticed that the "edit" button is gone (again).
I'm in the middle of a deep going thread about clusters https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/544543-clusters-gauges-odo-meters.html and that (my) thread needs a lot of editing when new info shows up.
Is there any chance to get this function back again?
I do understand why you're doing it but why do all Mud members have to suffer for a few ....... persons?
I don't want to sit on your chair but maybe the moderators should get more freedom to handle this problem?
Anyway, I hope for a good solution.

Happy driving :steer:

Rudi

Last edited:
I've come across 3-4 of my old threads that have any thing from bad spelling to misinformation, a quick edit would fix things but instead I may infact have to ad a new post to correct old info. This is turning out to be more of a downer than I thought it would. I can imagine instances where this could turn into a quality of information issue because people cannot edit threads with inportant tech info.

Extreme example but plausible?
Say person x says one thing in post y but finds out 2 months later that it is incorrect. He then has to write post z to explain it. At the same time person n reads that the respectable person x did a job that is in the FAQ but fails to see post z that was posted months and pages later. Person n now does a repair that is incorrect and is stranded in the desert because he was too stupid to read the complete thread. Something people do all the time. I look in an FAQ section and tons of posts are edited for more accurate and correct info. The people who create these posts are almost always silver star members.

It sucks that these people did what ever they did.

There is an idea- allow editing for silver star and above, basically paying members.

arcteryx said:
There is an idea- allow editing for silver star and above, basically paying members.

Did you read the first few pages of the thread? That was the previous recommendation the first time this happened. I agree with it. Signature edited.

Last edited:
Did you read the first few pages of the thread? That was the previous recommendation the first time this happened. I agree with it. Signature edited.

Obviously, no.:doh: I read the first few posts and saw the date then forwarded to the current day. Anyway, now I have and it ticks me off that people are complaining over $20. When I see members with more than 500 posts and no star, it irks me. Not sure why as i am not getting any kickbacks from woody :grinpimp: It's a great resource and well worth the coin IMO. Ok off course. I just want my edit button back.....

Speaking for myself but also for a lot of other mud fans, I don't see why I have to buy a star to get a basic tool back to function. I have more then 500 postings, to be exactly 602 up to this day. Most of my postings are giving answers and not asking questions. Do I have to buy a star because I'm supplying answers?
Hmmmm, food for thought.

Anyway, I'm not happy with what's going on and will postpone my thread as mentioned in my previous posting until there is a solution for this problem. I have to edit my threads to keep the info correct and up to date. Member "jonharis" gave a good example of how it can go wrong.

Happy :steer: and :wrench::wrench::wrench: to you all,

Rudi

When I see members with more than 500 posts and no star, it irks me. Not sure why as i am not getting any kickbacks from woody :grinpimp: It's a great resource and well worth the coin IMO. Ok off course.

I've always been a 'free information' guy...other than seeing more advertising, ANYTHING can be done on the forum as a guest, other than posting.

Members with 250+ posts have unlimited image attachment space. Read the User Guide thread sticki'd above this one...all the info is contained in there.

The Silver Star has, and always will be, designed to be a 'thank you' for information received, not a 'requirement' to participate.

-------------------

Unfortunately, the editing issues arose when I have limited time to research and address the possibile solutions.

They are on my list. Just not this week's list :)

Thank you Woody. :clap:

Rudi

It would still be nice/better to be able to edit/update Classified ads for sure as its kind of a mess as it is without the ability to edit for updated info for the ad. Although that doesn't sound like a feature that will return to us...silver star or not?

Tagaroo.

Us long-timers have old threads that need updating every now and then. The threads that have mileage and maintenance/repair costs are great examples. Last time I updated the 100 in that thread was 168,000. I'm at 209,000 now. :steer:

I've gotten a couple PM's on informative threads I had where picture hosting had changed (this was before mud hosted etc.). I can't get in to update them so I bugged a mod and decided to start a new thread. I'm going to hold off to see if we have the return of Mr. Edit Button. :D

see post 11 - supporting members

I am confused (who is surprised?)... I have a Silver Start... is that what qualifies me as a supporting member? If not where do I "support"?

Mark

I am confused (who is surprised?)... I have a Silver Start... is that what qualifies me as a supporting member? If not where do I "support"?

Mark

Post 11 was April. This is January. Editing is limited to first post only and just in a couple sections...and that's already become problematic.

I'm looking at options, but nothing will change with Editing for at least 3 weeks.

AND, the more I think on it, and the couple people I've discussed with, the less likely it will return at all.

Post 11 was April. This is January. Editing is limited to first post only and just in a couple sections...and that's already become problematic.

I'm looking at options, but nothing will change with Editing for at least 3 weeks.

AND, the more I think on it, and the couple people I've discussed with, the less likely it will return at all.

Thanks... and I agree in general. I'm sorry people are abusing the "edit" option... it seems like such a basic function it is a shame it has to be removed.

It seems to be "good" for the OP to be able to edit in Classifieds posts where the items listed get marked "Sold".

Do what ya gotta do Woody... and thanks for doing the mud thing! I'm glad it has grown into something you can continue doing.

mark

It seems to be "good" for the OP to be able to edit in Classifieds posts where the items listed get marked "Sold".

EDIT does make sense there, and it's active/testing in a couple sections so the first-post can be managed.

Finding a 'hack' that's reliable can be challenging...the one in place now is from a reliable developer...a few others I've looked into are buggy, and the LAST thing needed on 'MUD is something that has any chance of causing issues (dealt with that in Dec, not a fan...lol)

'switched on' First Post Editing for:

Vendor Marketplace
Clothing Corner
Merchandise Storefront
Parting Out
Vehicles/Trailers For Sale/Wanted

Those sections are the ones that most benefit from having it active...will continue to monitor over the next few weeks and explore more at the end of February.

Wow.

I'll give an example of when I was glad to have the Edit button. I'd posted some close-up pictures of my key that someone later warned me could be used to make a copy and open my Cruiser. I edited the pic in Picasa, then had to change the link in my original post to reflect the edited pic. This was done almost a year after I'd originally posted. FWIW, it provided me some peace of mind.

Editing has always been usergroup limited...members have used the Report Post button many times to request personal information be removed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom