Porch Transfer Case Rebuild (Lotso Pics) (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Then remove the extension housing. This is the cone shaped deal that we just took the front shift housing assembly off of. After it is taken off you will then be able to remove the shift collar. Some of these pics were taken from the old case. That's why all of a sudden the case is all grunge and parts laying around that we haven't removed yet in the process! :)

Image 15.jpg
Image 15.jpg

Now it's time to remove the stuff on the emergency brake side. Flip the case around and pull the emergency brake drum off. Here's a picture of what's under the staked nut so you can keep it in order. There's the staked nut, a small shim, thick washer, and brake drum.

Image 16.jpg

Then take off the four bolts that hold on the backing plate. Here's the four bolts. The one marked with an "x" on the upper left is shorter than the other bolts. Just so you don't think you have the wrong bolt when you go to reinstall.

Image 17.jpg

Once you remove the backing plate the speedo housing will be exposed. This is removed next. Here's a pic of whats under that. The thin shim is the infamous shim that you may or not need to add/delete shims to at reassembly. This is the shim that is not included in the kit that I really think should be. The other parts are the drive gear for the speedometer and a space. Bag em.

Image 18.jpg
Image 16.jpg
Image 17.jpg
Image 18.jpg

Looking great bud!!!1

This is in the FAQ now!

:beer:

Next is to remove the output shaft along with all the goodies attached to it. Everything in the bracket shown in picture and attached to the shaft is coming out. You are suppossed to have a Toyota special tool to do this part. All I did was put the case in the position shown in the picture and then tap the shaft on the 2x4. The smaller gear will fit through the hole. The larger gear and bearing behind it has to come off the shaft and then removed out through the cover.

Image 19.jpg

Here's a picture of the whole assembly removed and then put back together to show you everything in one shot.

Image 21.jpg
Image 19.jpg
Image 21.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks. I've learned so much on this board and really enjoy the atmosphere on the forum I want to give back what I can.

Last edited:
The next step is to remove the remaining gear assembly. It's is the idler gear set. First remove the 12mm bolt that keeps the shaft in place.

Image 22.jpg

On the opposite end of the shaft is a cover that needs to be removed before the shaft can be driven out the end with the keeper deal on it. To remove this, I drove the shaft in the direction of the cover until it popped off. Then you can use a drift pin or whatever to drive the shaft out the other direction. Mine was in there pretty tight but eventually I was able to work it out.

Here's the cover on the other side that needs to be removed before driving the shaft out.

Image 23.jpg
Image 22.jpg
Image 23.jpg

After everything is out here is what's left. The picture doesn't show a thick washer that is on either side of the gear assembly. So in order you will have the following:
a. thick washer
b. gear set
under the gear set:
c. bearing
d. spacer
e. bearing
f. thick washer
g. Your case may or may not have a shim here. On my case I did not.
And then of course the idler shaft that everything is on.

Image 24.jpg
Image 24.jpg

PabloCruise said:
Did you measure clearances on the idler shaft before you pulled it?

I didn't, but kinda did. :D The manual states that the limit for the thrust washer on the idler gear is 0.4. I would tell I was below that so called it good. Thanks for the reminder! There were no shims in my case. From what I understand the 3 speed case, or 3 speed case to 4 speed will have shims. Anybody verify this?

This is a good time to clean up the interior of the case. I used gas soaked rags to give the interior a good going over. This is a good time to check the case for cracks and other problems.

At this point I started to prepare for the rebuild. I started soaking in groups the stuff in zip locks in an oil pan with gas. Actually I kind of did this as I was tearing the case down. I would soak a group of items, then rebag them as they were cleaned. Every so often I would swap out what was being cleaned. I'm not going to go through all the parts that are swapped out in the rebuild. It's pretty easy to see what is replaced. I will go through how I did some of the bearing replacements, etc. with my limited tools.

So here we go!

I first replaced the race shown below.

Image 25.jpg

It was basically a "tap in, tap out" deal.

The next step was to replace all the hardware on the idler shaft that needed replacement and reinstalling.
Image 25.jpg

Last edited:
is there another half to this?

haha, yeah...i somehow missed this thread earlier this year.

great stuff. wonder if he just ran out of time to do the writeup.
it was really detailed/involved so you can't really blame him for tryin, haha

malphrus

xfer case removal tool

great thread im doing this right,, now the puller i used to remove the xfer from the tranny was a proto part number 4004 J , i rented one from my rental place up the street for 11 bucks for 20 min

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom