Transfer Case - Idler Shaft (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey fellas. 1st time posting. I had something I've been working on and I thought is was worth passing on. I've been an FJ40 owner for many years. Customized extensively. I'm doing something that as far as I can tell no one has really attempted in the past, at least not shared with the masses. The Idler shaft is a wear item that could be improved on. I wanted to give this a try and look for feedback from the community. Let me know what you think. Click on this YouTube link check it out.

1000006576.jpg
1000006575.jpg
1000006574.jpg

Ready for installation

I think that shaft is "induction hardened" not "case hardened" by the looks, but what do I know. So how hard is the gear or bearing that rides on that shaft? Two hard (or soft) things against each other will wear much more than a hard and soft thing together.

I like the second slot idea, easy enough to pull the keeper, rotate the shaft 180 and then re-install the keeper. Drilling for oil path might be a good idea too.

"Um" a few times is acceptable, "you know". Put all your items on one bench, I tend to get sea sick zooming around with the camera moving too fast. Wow I hope I do as well if I ever make a vid.

I think that shaft is "induction hardened" not "case hardened" by the looks, but what do I know. So how hard is the gear or bearing that rides on that shaft? Two hard (or soft) things against each other will wear much more than a hard and soft thing together.

I like the second slot idea, easy enough to pull the keeper, rotate the shaft 180 and then re-install the keeper. Drilling for oil path might be a good idea too.

"Um" a few times is acceptable, "you know". Put all your items on one bench, I tend to get sea sick zooming around with the camera moving too fast. Wow I hope I do as well if I ever make a vid.
Yeah, please forgive the excessive "ums" :)

Interesting, my opinion is the Rockwell hardness on the oem is 26 for reason, it acts almost like a bushing in that you want the shaft wear faster than the gear itself. Anyhow, it will be interesting to see if the McMaster one will be as good as the oem one.

Last edited:
I think the reason the idler is a Rockwell 26 instead of 50 is the same reason JIS 8mm bolts are 12 mm instead of 13 mm….if you can shave 1 penny per 1,000,000 units sold, you’ve just increased you profit by $10,000. Skipping that extra machining step reduces cost. And if a 26 harness will be good enough….then that’s profitable. Case hardening I think will help save the shaft and the roller bearings on the inside of the idler gears. In fact on the J30, 3 speed, cluster gear shaft, where the gear rides on 96 individual rollers, shaft wear is a big issue. I never thought of additional hardening….or nitriding. Cool Beans I say!!!!!

And hutson, that T case is a thing of beauty and I agree with Mark on the constraints required to make a vehicle at a profit. Also let's add the weight saving measures auto makers have to jump through to get another .01 mpg for their quota (or advertising). Think of some of the things we have all built, like crossmembers from heavy wall rectangular tubing with gussets, HD bumpers etc. Far better than what toyota or any other auto maker would ever do. Just not practical or necessary for the world of production. A better shaft here or there is something we should applaud. As far as the 'UM's', I am now so afraid to go back and look at my youtube videos. Ya know?

I think the reason the idler is a Rockwell 26 instead of 50 is the same reason JIS 8mm bolts are 12 mm instead of 13 mm….if you can shave 1 penny per 1,000,000 units sold, you’ve just increased you profit by $10,000. Skipping that extra machining step reduces cost.

I always say the Landcruiser was built durable, not well. 😆

The fanboys on here seem to be under the impression that there is no conceivable way to do it better than how Toyota did it.

If don't mind me asking, which shaft did you install?

From the little bit I've seen here concerning the OP and his obvious mechanical skills, he has way too much going on to make an electrical connection with a hose clamp. Not saying it couldn't be done with some careful insulating, but really.....

Why does your trans fill plug look like it has a block heater cord attached to it?
That hose was just pushed forward out of the way while I installed the case. It's a method to drain(equalize) fluid back into the transfer case if it gets pumped into the transmission as the seal wears.
1000006658.jpg

Has anyone ever tried cryo freezing one?
I haven't heard or seen of anybody doing anything with this shaft before. That's why I wanted to start this thread.

Why does your trans fill plug look like it has a block heater cord attached to it?
It’s a Transfer Case drain back hose. There is a ‘Lip’ seal between the Transmission and the Transfer Case that leaks sometimes, transferring gear oil from the Transfer Case to the Transmission. Running a hose from the Transmission fill plug to the Transfer Case allows any overflow to return to the Transfer Case…..in his photo you can see a barbed fitting in the Transfer Case fill port…..where you attach the other end of the hose.

That hose was just pushed forward out of the way while I installed the case. It's a method to drain(equalize) fluid back into the transfer case if it gets pumped into the transmission as the seal wears.
View attachment 3569959

I haven't heard or seen of anybody doing anything with this shaft before. That's why I wanted to start this thread.
You have the early version of the below.

IMG_0435.jpg

View attachment 3569971

Yes, that’s why I didn’t recognize it. That is level equalizer hose I am familiar with.

It’s a Transfer Case drain back hose. There is a ‘Lip’ seal between the Transmission and the Transfer Case that leaks sometimes, transferring gear oil from the Transfer Case to the Transmission. Running a hose from the Transmission fill plug to the Transfer Case allows any overflow to return to the Transfer Case…..in his photo you can see a barbed fitting in the Transfer Case fill port…..where you attach the other end of the hose.
As I noted above, good eye

View attachment 3569971

Yeah, mine is an old homemade one before anything was on the market

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom