Transfer case 3 or 4sp (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am out of town so have to go off pics can someone identify if this is a 3 or 4 speed transfer case thanks

Screenshot_20231211_093449_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20231211_093251_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20231211_093347_Gallery.jpg

PIA to try and manipulate the pic's for me. I have a 4sp tranny with its transfer case sitting on the porch.

The 72 has the original 3sp tranny with its transfer case, but I'm not wanting to go lay in the snow to look at it.

Ratio's are different in the transfer low range - the one for the 3 sp tranny more than 50% reduction IIRC

With some changes (new parts) the 3sp's transfer case will work on a 4sp tranny - no change in high range high still 1:1, but low range low is about 1/2 gear lower - better crawling.

Ok thank you very much putting a 1970 tub on 1973 frame so looking at my options I have a 3sp transfer case but it's probley pretty beat so probley roll with 4 sp transfer and figure out transfer tunnel

Heres some info on id'ing t/cases. The reduction in gearing is more like a 15% reduction from late model t/case from a 4 speed trans to a 3 speed trans t/case. The late model case from a 4 speed is 1.96:1 and the case from a 3 speed trans is somewhere around 2.31:1.

T-Case Tech - http://www.kinzers.com/don/landcruiser/tcase_tech/

Last edited:
If you want the lower gears of the 3 spd there is an input gear that has the 4spd spline & 3 spd gear so you can run a 3spd case behind a 4spd trans.

If the budget will afford it, hit up Georg or Kurt and get an Orion. Less noise that the 3 speed case gives you, and 4:1 low ratio. That's my plan for my 4 speed!!

If you want the lower gears of the 3 spd there is an input gear that has the 4spd spline & 3 spd gear so you can run a 3spd case behind a 4spd trans.

I had a both a '3 speed' and '4 speed' t-case worth of parts sitting in parts in my garage when I did a H42→ SM420 swap years ago.

Comparing the '3 speed' gears vs the '4 speed' gears, the '4 speed' gears were wider, and the '4 speed' housing had more ribbing and reinforcement vs the '3 speed' t-case.
In the end, 2.3:1 vs 1.99:1 really wasn't worth the effort to me.
Cruiser Outfitters had an aftermarket gear to take the 10 spline SM420 output and run it in my '4 speed' t-case, so it all bolted in, and I didn't even need to have my driveshafts modified.

In retrospect, I should have run a t-case saver, but, I ran that setup for the better part of 10 years and never had a problem with my 1 piece t-case turning itself into a split case....

I had a both a '3 speed' and '4 speed' t-case worth of parts sitting in parts in my garage when I did a H42→ SM420 swap years ago.

Comparing the '3 speed' gears vs the '4 speed' gears, the '4 speed' gears were wider, and the '4 speed' housing had more ribbing and reinforcement vs the '3 speed' t-case.
In the end, 2.3:1 vs 1.99:1 really wasn't worth the effort to me.
Cruiser Outfitters had an aftermarket gear to take the 10 spline SM420 output and run it in my '4 speed' t-case, so it all bolted in, and I didn't even need to have my driveshafts modified.

In retrospect, I should have run a t-case saver, but, I ran that setup for the better part of 10 years and never had a problem with my 1 piece t-case turning itself into a split case....

Details on the 4spd H41/H42 trans to 3spd t-case here: Cruiser Outfitters - http://www.cruiseroutfitters.com/tech_4spdtrans_3spdtc.html

We also have gears for 3spd J30 trans to 4spd r-case and of course 4-to-4 and 3-to-3.

Ok thank you very much putting a 1970 tub on 1973 frame so looking at my options I have a 3sp transfer case but it's probley pretty beat so probley roll with 4 sp transfer and figure out transfer tunnel
the 70 tunnel, will fit, barely.

Easiest way to tell is a picture of the idler gear.
This transfer case style has three different gear sets.
Three speed has narrower gears. Input gear has twenty nine teeth. 1-74-4/75 four still has twenty nine teeth. Input gear and high range gears are narrower. Low range gears are wider. So idler gears are two different widths. 5/75 and newer input gear is wider as well as all gears and has a thirty one teeth on the input gear.
Here is a 11/74 transition case. Idler gears at two different widths.
20221012_163318.jpg

20221012_163610.jpg

4 is for 1974. K is for eleventh month, November. Other numbers are the case made that month.
The only real advantage of the transition case is the twenty nine teeth input gear with sixteen splines that fit the four speed. Low range gearing is the same as the later case with all wide gears. But with that input gear can use the rest from a three speed case and have a lower low range.

This one the high low shifter is 4/75 newer. But just changing the top cover could be change from the earlier style. I say this because my 79 was changed out at some point with a 74 transfer case and has a hybrid linkage using some of the pre 5/75 and some later pieces. Next time I pull the transmission and transfer case will change the high low lever that points to the right to one that points forward like the one in this thread. So that alone can't be used as a reliable way to what a case over forty years is.

Easiest way to tell is a picture of the idler gear.
This transfer case style has three different gear sets.
Three speed has narrower gears. Input gear has twenty nine teeth. 1-74-4/75 four still has twenty nine teeth. Input gear and high range gears are narrower. Low range gears are wider. So idler gears are two different widths. 5/75 and newer input gear is wider as well as all gears and has a thirty one teeth on the input gear.
Here is a 11/74 transition case. Idler gears at two different widths.
View attachment 3504933
View attachment 3504934
4 is for 1974. K is for eleventh month, November. Other numbers are the case made that month.
The only real advantage of the transition case is the twenty nine teeth input gear with sixteen splines that fit the four speed. Low range gearing is the same as the later case with all wide gears. But with that input gear can use the rest from a three speed case and have a lower low range.

This one the high low shifter is 4/75 newer. But just changing the top cover could be change from the earlier style. I say this because my 79 was changed out at some point with a 74 transfer case and has a hybrid linkage using some of the pre 5/75 and some later pieces. Next time I pull the transmission and transfer case will change the high low lever that points to the right to one that points forward like the one in this thread. So that alone can't be used as a reliable way to what a case over forty years is.
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom