Porch Transfer Case Rebuild (Lotso Pics) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Me 2.

Any leads on a good soruce for the Tranf case kt?
The Transmission is fine, but I assume there are some Transmission seals I will need to replace as well while everything is on the the work bench.

Thanks,

Thanks @Azrocks for the great writeup, I'm following it right now and am in the process of separating the transmission from the Transfer case. They are both out of the 40, on my garage floor (doing a frame off restoration). Can someone please take a look at the staked nut holding the T-case to the transmission? Mine does not look like Azrocks and I want to make sure I don't need to be releasing that little tab or something before cranking on it with the impact wrench. I just happened to have exactly the right size socket, so that was a pleasant surprise.
Photo Jul 01, 7 48 32 PM.jpg

Photo Jul 01, 7 48 38 PM.jpg

While I'm posting this, does this amount of metal shavings inside the dome cover thing raise any red flags for anyone? I know @Coolerman had a lot more sludge in his cover, just want to make sure that's to be expected.
Photo Jul 01, 7 49 04 PM.jpg

I ended up bending back that little tab, but now I'm having different problems getting that big nut off. Because the transmission-transfer case assembly is already out of the truck (and disconnected from the engine), there is nothing keeping the shaft from spinning when I put the impact wrench on it. Any suggestions on how to get that nut off? I was able to put it in gear, but I can't figure out how to keep the shaft on the other end of the transmission from spinning. I obviously can't put vice grips or similar on it, because that will destroy the splines.
Any help much appreciated! Hoping to get through this T-case rebuild over the long weekend.

With 4WD engaged slip a large breaker bar or crowbar between the driveshaft bolts on the parking brake drum (temporarily install nuts to keep the bar from messing up the threads) so that the parking brake drum cannot rotate. That should keep things from rotating. IIRC the Toyota SST (special service tool) is a long bar with a flat plate at one end, the plate has four holes to match the driveshaft bolt pattern.

Thanks @4Cruisers, that was the thing I was missing. I worked on it a good bit today and am having new troubles. On the front drive extension (thing that looks a bit like a cone), I can't get the shaft/bearing to come out. I have hit it with multiple mallets and hammers, and tried using a bearing puller to press the shaft out, but it won't budge. Here's what I'm talking about:
Photo Jul 02, 10 37 55 PM.jpg

That end of the shaft in the above picture is the one I am trying to press down and out. The image below is just showing the other side (and proving I did get the retaining clip out already)
Photo Jul 02, 10 37 37 PM.jpg

My second problem is the shift fork shaft inside the transfer case. @Coolerman's writeup says he just used a punch to get it out, but again I'm tapping it pretty hard with a hammer and punch and it hasn't moved (yes I took the bolt and retaining clip off on the other side).
Photo Jul 02, 10 37 11 PM.jpg

So my question is this: should I just hit them harder? The one other thought I had was to heat the tough spots up with a torch, but I was just about to light it when it occurred to me that the pieces were covered in oil, so I changed my mind. I'm considering taking it to ACC and having them give me a hand taking it apart (hopefully they'll have a hydraulic press or some clever technique). How much hammering can the housing take?

Thanks @4Cruisers, that was the thing I was missing. I worked on it a good bit today and am having new troubles. On the front drive extension (thing that looks a bit like a cone), I can't get the shaft/bearing to come out. I have hit it with multiple mallets and hammers, and tried using a bearing puller to press the shaft out, but it won't budge. Here's what I'm talking about:
View attachment 1284624
That end of the shaft in the above picture is the one I am trying to press down and out. The image below is just showing the other side (and proving I did get the retaining clip out already)
View attachment 1284626

My second problem is the shift fork shaft inside the transfer case. @Coolerman's writeup says he just used a punch to get it out, but again I'm tapping it pretty hard with a hammer and punch and it hasn't moved (yes I took the bolt and retaining clip off on the other side).
View attachment 1284627

So my question is this: should I just hit them harder? The one other thought I had was to heat the tough spots up with a torch, but I was just about to light it when it occurred to me that the pieces were covered in oil, so I changed my mind. I'm considering taking it to ACC and having them give me a hand taking it apart (hopefully they'll have a hydraulic press or some clever technique). How much hammering can the housing take?
I took the case to an auto shop to get that pin out. First try was with a press and that did not work. So the shaft was pushed toward the front of the case and they used a grinder to taper the end then drove it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom