New shop. Need lighting advice (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sorry you didn't have any luck with them.

We've been running them in our at work for about 3 years, with no issues. But that's in a heated and cooled building.
Mine is temp controlled as well. I just don't care for the light they put out. They're not very bright, but the glare hurts your eyes.

I bought some of these for the rows between pallet racking in one of my buildings. They're pretty terrible. Not recommended by me.
Interesting. I ordered this exact set of 10 for my shop. I hung 6 of them the other day in half the room and thought they were perfect. I measured about 75 foot candles at bench height, but I don't have a ceiling or walls installed yet. Ceiling will be foil faced polyiso foam so should get a lot of reflection down and scatter the light even more, no shadows.

So have everything wired up and the bay lights are in. The lights were recommended by the contractor that did the electric, and I like them, but cant say that Im overly impressed by them. Will probably be adding at least two, if not three more.

Boiler is supposed to go in on the 6th now..... at least I have a date. 2-post will be going up hopefully this weekend.....
IMG_4495.jpeg
IMG_4497.jpeg

Last edited:
IMG_4499.jpeg

I don’t think that’s enough light. How many lumens are those fixtures? I assume they are on the highest output setting?

Again, I used 8 15000 lumen fixtures in each 20x40 bay and it’s very bright with no shadowing.

I don’t think that’s enough light. How many lumens are those fixtures? I assume they are on the highest output setting?

Again, I used 8 15000 lumen fixtures in each 20x40 bay and it’s very bright with no shadowing.

Ya, like I said above, Im not impressed. I have it on my to do list to climb up there and see what they are set at currently. The foreman showed up as they were wrapping up, the one who "swore" by these and he actually said he wasnt happy with them either. Of course he was all ready to put some more up, but not for free of course. They didnt program my door openers either, so that pissed me off too. Im back to work now, and havent really had a chance to get any real work done in there to see if I need more or not. At least now with the wiring in, I can add more and dont need them to come back. Still unpacking the house and getting everything in the other outbuilding set up for winter storage. Just never enough hours in the day it seems. Monday the boiler is going in, so at least Ill be able to get some heat in the floor before the frost sets in for the year.

Boiler is in, not quite finished, but at least its hung. Lift is going up tomorrow morning. :beer:

IMG_4539.jpeg

Lift went in today. Really happy with how it all went. Now to get to all the work Ive been putting off till it was up!!!!
72115728751__480538B1-AD05-4FAB-8C90-01D6E23EF3AA.jpeg
img_4550-jpeg.3476444

One other reason I wouldn't put the compressor in the loft (if you need one). You typically want to anchor larger compressors to something that won't vibrate (like a slab) with isolation pads in between the slab and the compressor.

Sweet shop.
Back to the compressor...definitely needs to be bolted down on concrete anchors with vibration pads.
I used hockey pucks to isolate between the slab and the compressor. Throw the pucks in the freezer first otherwise they are difficult to drill through.

Sweet shop.
Back to the compressor...definitely needs to be bolted down on concrete anchors with vibration pads.
I used hockey pucks to isolate between the slab and the compressor. Throw the pucks in the freezer first otherwise they are difficult to drill through.

Thats a good tip/idea to freeze them!! I still have my old, but trusty Craftsman. Only thing I really need air for is the tire machine, and for the amount of tires I do, itll be enough for now. I am keeping an eye at auctions and marketplace, just havent found "that deal" yet.

I am going to be adding some more lighting. I actually got some time out there today and Im just not happy with it, so Ill be calling the contractor back tomorrow to have them back. I like the color/lights themselves, just thinking of adding 3, if not 4 more.

Not sure you ever posted the lumen output of those lights but, given the height of your ceilings, I would want 18k+. I think you also need lights above the doors, maybe on a separate switch so they can be turned off when the doors are open for long periods. Those are two huge areas that you don't have illuminated (assuming I'm interpreting the photos correctly). In playing with the lighting model, it was critical to have the right spacing to prevent shadowing. I could have gotten by with less lights and would have been fine in 80%+ of the area but by adding two more per bay (4 total) I was able to have a much more even lighting distribution.

I used these when I installed my compressor in new shop (lots of different sellers on ebay). Prior to then it was bolted directly to concrete for 20+ years.

My 5HP 120 gallon 2-stage vertical is still mounted on the trimmed pallet (maybe 30” square) it was shipped and not mounted to the floor…it’s been 32 years. I’ve been meaning to but as I have gotten older and weaker, it’s gonna have to do as is

Last edited:
Wow. Your shop is amazing.
Sorry if you posted. Whay lift did you get and from whom?
Thank you!! Its coming along, still a few things to go yet, but very happy with it all.

Its a 10k Titan direct drive asymetrical. Very happy with it. Went with a local guy, had some scheduling conflicts and he had a few things come up, so it took a little bit longer than expected, but glad I went with it. We had it up and running in about 5 hours, from drop off to wired in. Biggest thing is the customer service/support. Adam has been great to deal with!

1701821080551.png

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO......................... this has turned into a complete nightmare!!!!
Started getting quotes for this back in September. Guy who did the pex for the floor and two other contractors. Well, needless to say, the guy who did the pex was about 12k cheaper than the other two. Naive me, thought it was just because he started it, seemed like a decent "2 man show" type of company that was giving me a break to get the business. So, I went with him. Took about a month to get his "engineer" to figure out everything he needed and get it all ordered in....... then another couple weeks to get me fit into his schedule. From the very start, I was stressing about the weather, because as we all know, it gets cold here in Wisconsin. Also during this time, Im trying to line up the propane tank and delivery. Well, of course they wont do it w/out the contractor there to leak and pressure check (something to do with liability on their end insurance wise).... so after a few calls/texts with him letting him know he had to coordinate with the gas company to be there at the same time it was delivered, he never followed through. Couldnt give me a date, bla bla bla. So I reach out to the gas company to get the date, and there was nothing scheduled. Get it set up, let him know 12/4 between 9-10 a.m. Shoot a text letting him know, mind you this is about 3 weeks ago..... confirms, and thanks me for lining it up. So, 12/4 comes around, he texts me at 0600 letting me know he'll be here between 0800-0830. GREAT, Im FINALLY gonna have some heat in here!!!! Well, silly, SILLY me..... I get another text from him at 07:08 stating, and this IS VERBATIM: "Well, I greatly apologize, but I am not coming today. The boiler is gas piped and should be able to have the gas company do what they need to do. I will come tomorrow around 0800 to finish up. I am so sorry, I think you know me well enough now I show up when I say Im going to show up. I am not a drinker, so it has NOTHING to do with the late Packer game." WTF???????? Not to mention the fact that the boiler was hung 6" to the left of where its supposed to be so I could wall it off. (hard to see in the pics, but its under the steps to the loft) and the fact that the CORD IS 6" to short to even plug it into the quad that I put in for the two pumps and the boiler itself...... So I sent a simple "you need to call me" response to his text. He called me about 5 min later, and was nothing but excuses. Ended up telling me that he doesnt know what to say, hes NOT coming out today, and I should just find someone else to finish it for me. So get on the phone with the contractor that did my electrical, and they sent someone out this afternoon. NOTHING IS INSTALLED CORRECTLY. The boiler itself is HALF the size its supposed to be for the size of the building. Even looking at the install instructions for the boiler itself THAT HE LEFT TAPED to the front of it, shows that its missing "T's", the pumps are installed incorrectly, there is a valve that you cant open all the way because of how its soldered to closely to the gauge stem, and the expansion tank is half the size of what it should be-even for that boiler. I wont even get into the part where he was adamant about using tap water in it......

So long story short, bank dispute filed, and its a complete tear out of whats installed, and a whole new system to go in. Fortunately, the contractor is working with me time wise, and even giving us a break on the original quote because of the nonsense. Best part is, they will be here on Wednesday, itll be up and heating by Wednesday afternoon. Sorry for the long rant, but just a heads up and learn from my mistake of not looking into who you go with, just the dollar amount, cause its cost me about 2 months and another 10k afterall. If I would have just bit the bullet to begin with, it would have been done and my 80 wouldve had a warm place to rest since it got cold.... lol

Last edited:
Wow, I’d like to say ya just have to laugh sometimes!! However there have many times during my shop build I cussed bad enough to make a sailor blush.

I’d love to have that heat in the shop and I’m sure it will be the bees knees when it’s all said and done!

@cruzinfj1 that is truly a horror story and equals some of the ones I have heard over the last 40 years. it is certainly very distressing to deal with issues like this one year our other anxieties that naturally come about during the project like this. I tend to think the most I can offer. Is that when you have this radiant heating system set up you will be pleased as punch.

My father-in-law was in a facility years back in northern Vermont or the temperatures are typically -25 to -35 below zero Fahrenheit and the rooms that they had for recreation area and a few other places in this building were never without feeling like it was the middle of summertime on a beautiful spring day.

it would be interesting to see where the real errors have to be completely redone versus the ones that will be certainly usable for this project. Obviously, I do not know the square footage of this building, but I have seen several radiant heating systems that did not appear to be as complex, but clearly may be

I wish you luck and a stress-free continuation of where you are headed

IMG_4885.jpeg

So quick update..... I FINALLY have heat!!!! They were here Wednesday morning as scheduled, had the old one out and the new one installed and fired up by 2:00 that afternoon. Was 38* when they fired it up, by 4, it was up to 48*, and by 9:30 or so it was up to 57* in there. Had the thermostat set at 55* for a couple days, and then bumped it up to 60. Cant tell you how nice it is!!!! 60 is a "warm" 60, feels more like 70, was out there all day today working on various projects and in jeans/long sleeve tshirt and never even had a hint of a chill. Anyone on the fence about a heated floor, I can honestly say this is the best decision Ive made in a while, worth every penny!!!

Last edited:
@cruzinfj1 that is truly a horror story and equals some of the ones I have heard over the last 40 years. it is certainly very distressing to deal with issues like this one year our other anxieties that naturally come about during the project like this. I tend to think the most I can offer. Is that when you have this radiant heating system set up you will be pleased as punch.

My father-in-law was in a facility years back in northern Vermont or the temperatures are typically -25 to -35 below zero Fahrenheit and the rooms that they had for recreation area and a few other places in this building were never without feeling like it was the middle of summertime on a beautiful spring day.

it would be interesting to see where the real errors have to be completely redone versus the ones that will be certainly usable for this project. Obviously, I do not know the square footage of this building, but I have seen several radiant heating systems that did not appear to be as complex, but clearly may be

I wish you luck and a stress-free continuation of where you are headed
The building is 2400 sq ft, but I have 18' sidewalls, so its a big room to heat. They ended up doing a complete remove/replace. Unfortunately, the pumps with the original system were to small, the manifold piping was too small, but the manifolds were correct.... was just a mismatch cob job, so I just had them start fresh. They did end up giving me a 3k break in the overall price tag due to the fact it was all "their" stuff, and was easier for them to just put all new together than taking apart, and piecing in. I couldnt be happier with the end result!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom