New shop. Need lighting advice (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The building is 2400 sq ft, but I have 18' sidewalls, so its a big room to heat. They ended up doing a complete remove/replace. Unfortunately, the pumps with the original system were to small, the manifold piping was too small, but the manifolds were correct.... was just a mismatch cob job, so I just had them start fresh. They did end up giving me a 3k break in the overall price tag due to the fact it was all "their" stuff, and was easier for them to just put all new together than taking apart, and piecing in. I couldnt be happier with the end result!!!
I admire the choice you made to rebuild the entire system as it’s not an easy one. Just to see the previous equipment rendered useless for you is heartbreak enough. Currently…it looks spectacular and the anti-freeze for the fluid lines is perfect. Glad you’re happy with that now and will always enjoy it. That every penny part is the tough one but worth it !!

Nothing to really update with the building other than Im loving the in floor heat!!! I started the 3 link front on my LX450, and a few other smaller side projects and set of Dana 44 gear job for a friend of mine.

Now that I have the new system up and running, I have the system that I took down that Im looking to sell. Everything is brand new, never plugged in or had water in it. See pics earlier in the thread for what it looked like installed. I will give a mud member a good deal on it. Happy New Years everyone!!

Nothing to really update with the building other than Im loving the in floor heat!!! I started the 3 link front on my LX450, and a few other smaller side projects and set of Dana 44 gear job for a friend of mine.

Now that I have the new system up and running, I have the system that I took down that Im looking to sell. Everything is brand new, never plugged in or had water in it. See pics earlier in the thread for what it looked like installed. I will give a mud member a good deal on it. Happy New Years everyone!!

I'm so looking forward to radiant heat in my shop. Glad you like yours. I hate wrenching on my back on a cold floor in the winter.

So couple things as its been a while. Still working on my pile, 3 link is getting there. Still have to work out the track bar packaging.

LP update. Just had the tank topped off. This is the first fill, so including initial start up/bringing everything up to temp, and its been cold here, highs in the single digits, windchills -10 to -15. Figured out gallons to days, and its costing me about $8.48/day to keep it at 62*. Im a freeze baby, and 62* is about perfect. Feels more like 70*, so overall I am very happy with the way that it heats.

Now, need to do something about an air compressor. I picked up a tire machine last fall, and first time using it today, my old 35 gallon Craftsman just isnt gonna cut it. I thought being that was the only thing to run, it would be "ok", but just doesnt have the volume.(?) Was a struggle getting the 275 dismounted and pretty much just used the rim clamps and tire spoons to mount the 40. What do you guys suggest? I dont wanna go nuts, as I havent touched, or needed, my pneumatic tools in years.

IMG_5142.jpeg

Last edited:
You could try adding more air storage and upping the line size to the tire machine.

Is the tire machine in good shape? Friend of mine has an old Coats that doesn't have much power.

Older AMMCO 740. I used it the morning I picked it up in his shop, and it worked great. Think if I just added say another 35 gallon tank? But then thatll be janky.... why cant anything just be simple?!?!?!? lol

IMG_4263.jpeg

IMG_4262.jpeg

Last edited:
@cruzinfj1 I’ll bet the pup loves that floor heat….

Older AMMCO 740. I used it the morning I picked it up in his shop, and it worked great. Think if I just added say another 35 gallon tank? But then thatll be janky.... why cant anything just be simple?!?!?!? lol

I think all you need to do is to decide how many CFM you need and whether or not you need continuous or intermittent duty. Once you decide that you can look at compressors. For example, I decided I needed (probably more like wanted) around 20 CFM continuous and as silent as reasonably possible. Bead blast cabinet and/or painting drove my capacity desire.

That led me to: 5 HP Quiet Air Compressor, Single Phase, 2 Stage, 80 Gallon Tank, Vertical, Industrial - https://eatoncompressor.com/product/5-hp-quiet-air-compressor-2-stage-80-gallon-vertical-industrial/

Disclaimer: I haven't bought it yet. If you only need 10 CFM, and if you don't need continuous duty, and, very importantly, if you aren't overly concerned about noise, then there's hundreds of options.

@WarDamnEagle THAT is the exact thinking I used when I bought my 5hp 175psi 2-stage 120gal Campbell-Hausfeld compressor 34+ years ago. It’s the same compressor used in my pole barn today. My glass bead cabinet was one I made from plans from SkatBlast and made of 3/4 plywood. They sold a kit of the glass lens, frame, hinges, hoses etc…. Lasted me 25 years and restored at least 20 old motorcycles from the 20’s and 40’s

that compressor will outlive me I‘m sure. By the way, that is a nice compressor

View attachment 3540552

View attachment 3540553

It could need lubed up inside or seals replaced in the air cylinders inside.

35 gallons is not much. You could put an 80 gallon tank on the wall above the tire machine and feed it with a 1/2" air line.

My air system's pretty decent, but I have one machine that needs short bursts of a lot of air and requires a 1/2" air line and 175 PSI. Some stuff needs a lot of air.

Same with a 1" tire gun or jackhammer. They will move with a 3/8" air hose, but you'd think they are wore out or broke if you use them that way. Hook them up with 1/2" hose and they tear it up though. Your tire machine might be that way. It might need more volume or pressure or both.

Oh, something to consider is that tire shops run their air pressure pretty high. They air up tires all day so they usually run 150+ PSI to make that go faster. If your air is set low like 90 PSI or so that might be why it doesn't work as good as it did when you saw it work in the seller's shop.

@knuckle47 The dogs absolutely love the floor! lol I have two dog beds, and when I let them in, there's pretty much no movement out of them the whole time they're in there. Just sprawled out loving life.

@WarDamnEagle Thank you for the link. After thinking and sleeping on it last night, I decided it was best to step up and get something bigger and better. Im glad you suggested the quiet one, as I absolutely cannot stand listening to an air compressor run anymore and noise was one of my big concerns. Im not sure how long it will be, but if I pull the trigger on this, I will definitely post up on how it is.

@PIP I thought the same as I did wash it and let it sit for a few months. I pulled the side cover to check the belt and also sprayed the clamps and all moving parts down again with some good chain lube. The way you described the way it works 3/8" vs 1/2" makes complete sense. He had a 1/2" whip where he had it plugged into the wall, and I have 1/2" with pressure set at 125#, but it just couldnt keep up with it. Even when I was running my IR 1/2" impact, it would work, but definitely had to give it time to catch up. The other thing on my list is to get rid of the "cheetah" hoop, as Ill never use it.

Ive never had a blast cabinet, mainly because I never really had the room when I needed it, or when I had the room, never really needed one. Now that this is my "forever" shop, I would like to get one someday. Im still getting used to having all the space I have now. Thanks again for all the input fellas!! :beer:

Don't mean to be a downer, but something to think about...

I won't let my dog into my new woodworking shop for 2 reasons, 1) I don't want the stray hair (he's a Saint Bernard, sheds constantly) getting into my finishes, and 2) a vet told me years ago that they can't tell you when it's too noisy for them, and their sensitive hearing can be damaged by the running equipment. I'm always wearing safety glasses in the shop, and I'm very careful to wear ear muffs when I'm running the equipment, especially the table saw and planer. I'm sure a hand grinder or a cold saw is in that category.

Don't mean to be a downer, but something to think about...

I won't let my dog into my new woodworking shop for 2 reasons, 1) I don't want the stray hair (he's a Saint Bernard, sheds constantly) getting into my finishes, and 2) a vet told me years ago that they can't tell you when it's too noisy for them, and their sensitive hearing can be damaged by the running equipment. I'm always wearing safety glasses in the shop, and I'm very careful to wear ear muffs when I'm running the equipment, especially the table saw and planer. I'm sure a hand grinder or a cold saw is in that category.
I keep them in mind when Im working on things. Pretty much go by the guideline that if I put ear plugs in, I let them out. I also let them out when I do any welding. Just another reason for me to belly up for that quiet compressor!!! ;)

So I pulled the trigger on a compressor. After calling Eaton, and pounding MP for a couple months now, I ended up going with a Quincy QT-54. Dont have it wired in yet, but its next on my list of small projects.

I really wanted to go with the Polar Air that @WarDamnEagle had posted, but by the time I was done, it was over 3k, with tax/shipping, etc..... Then, NO BS, someone posted the Polar Air unit 5 days after I got mine home, and only an hour or so away.... lol

So I pulled the trigger on a compressor. After calling Eaton, and pounding MP for a couple months now, I ended up going with a Quincy QT-54. Dont have it wired in yet, but its next on my list of small projects.

I really wanted to go with the Polar Air that @WarDamnEagle had posted, but by the time I was done, it was over 3k, with tax/shipping, etc..... Then, NO BS, someone posted the Polar Air unit 5 days after I got mine home, and only an hour or so away.... lol

Curious what your plans are for running air lines around the shop. Copper? PEX? Coated aluminum?

68676933149__55B6771B-C53D-4903-A9A1-0349326E949D.jpeg

I can’t say enough about that RapidAir system. The roll of material is not to expensive but each T OR UNION adds up quickly

IMG_7689.jpeg

@KLF I havent even gotten that far to be honest. Ive been so wrapped up in other things, I just bought a 50', 1/2" DeWalt hose reel and hung it on the wall above the compressor for now. I dont even have it wired it yet.... lol Have a couple gear jobs and still working my real job, so days get short quick....

Im thinking I will end up doing something like the RapidAir system. I really need to sit down and lay it all out.

IMG_7787.jpeg
IMG_7788.jpeg
Laying it out is much better than seat of the pants installation. I placed a drop at each 8 foot 4x6 pole wound up with 8 drops, but that means 8T’s and end pieces with the quick disconnects so that added about $400.00 additional to the 3/4” starter kit. It’s really easy to work with a 20’ hose but I might have done 1/2 of what there is

The RapidAir stuff does look nice. But my "cheap bastard" conscience wants me to just run PEX, especially since I have all the tools.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom