Murf's Methanol injection install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

i set out yesterday to get my install in the vee-dub going. I am doing a 'stealth' install w/ tank and progressive control in the cargo area.

fwiw, the Snow controller really isn't rated for water exposure. It's best to mount it inside the cab.

Anyway. I realized that i was pulling panels i would have to pull for a long-delayed (bought for a previous car!) speaker install, so ended up getting caught up in installing the speakers.

I did manage to route power and test fit the pump. I will need to go to Evco on friday and buy more hose before i route the MAF tap and water lines next weekend.

There's a little void in the left rear quarter panel of the mk5/mk6 golf chassy that looks like it was basically made for the job:

IMG_20130818_165904_803.jpg

This is like Breaking Bad, Land Cruiser edition... Way to go Murf! Now we are going to have to hear all about your intake temps on the radio the whole trip. Greeeaaattt....

But seriously, bad a$$ you Mad Scientist!

we hear about the numbers all the time anyway, even from non-S/Ced rigs :rolleyes:

This is like Breaking Bad, Land Cruiser edition... Way to go Murf! Now we are going to have to hear all about your intake temps on the radio the whole trip. Greeeaaattt....

But seriously, bad a$$ you Mad Scientist!

indeed. I sort of want a CH3OH sticker somewhere on my car . . .

The juice came in!

i got three pails of the juice delivered today :D

IMG_0356.jpg

:bounce::bounce2::bounce:Can't wait to see test results:bounce::bounce2::bounce:

Man, that blue pail is prettier that my black one. What was your total cost per pail? $27.90 or something here after tax.

Just picked it up over lunch. Would have been way easier if Rhinehart Oil would update their website so it has their new Salt Lake City depot address on it.

Didn't want to leave it in the hot car.

IMG_20130830_134944_822.jpg

$24.81 after tax :D

Oh hey, since we're messing around with pure methanol, my chemist friend decided to point out: You always have to measure both the meth and the water separately.

Because if you mix 5 gallons of water with 5 gallons of methanol you get 9.65 gallons of mix.

It also releases a little heat in the process. Nothing dangerous.

Reverse-osmosis water is fine. Distilled water is fine. Deionized water is not fine, because it may still have non-ionic dissolved solids. You need low TDS water because these solids tend to come out in combustion and form corrosive salts.

"Purified" water may have only run through a charcoal filter. If it doesn't say reverse osmosis or distilled, don't use it.

There exists ultra-pure water that is double-distilled and then deionized, but you'll never find it in a grocery store. It's also sort of an angry product that can etch metal, because it REALLY WANTS IONS.

Oh hey, since we're messing around with pure methanol, my chemist friend decided to point out: You always have to measure both the meth and the water separately.

Because if you mix 5 gallons of water with 5 gallons of methanol you get 9.65 gallons of mix.

It also releases a little heat in the process. Nothing dangerous.

Reverse-osmosis water is fine. Distilled water is fine. Deionized water is not fine, because it may still have non-ionic dissolved solids. You need low TDS water because these solids tend to come out in combustion and form corrosive salts.

"Purified" water may have only run through a charcoal filter. If it doesn't say reverse osmosis or distilled, don't use it.

There exists ultra-pure water that is double-distilled and then deionized, but you'll never find it in a grocery store. It's also sort of an angry product that can etch metal, because it REALLY WANTS IONS.

I have been running water/meth injection on mine for just over 10 years. I have always used distilled or RO water. I have never had to clean the nozzle or deal with pump issues.

What's the shelf life on methanol anyway? I'm still on the original 55 gallon drum I bought back in the day....:eek:

I have been running water/meth injection on mine for just over 10 years. I have always used distilled or RO water. I have never had to clean the nozzle or deal with pump issues.

What's the shelf life on methanol anyway? I'm still on the original 55 gallon drum I bought back in the day....:eek:

shelf life? Long damn time.

It's extremely hygroscopic - which is to say that it pulls moisture out of the air. You'd need a hydrometer to determine how much water it has taken on over the years.

Maybe one of those coolant mixture gauges.

If you keep it sealed tight when not dispensing, I would guess that not much water has infiltrated.

It has always been capped and I don't mix it up untill I'm in need. I should be good.....

Yup. FWIW the specific gravity of straight methanol is 0.8 (where distilled water is 1.0)

Snow Performance's previous design required a seperarate valve if the tank was above the level of the injector or if plumbed after the boost. I was glad to hear the new snow nozzle design is similar to what you mention and also has a check valve built in - I think this is much better.

Are you sure about that? Have a url maybe? Can't find anything from Snow about it.

I know that Aquamist has some check valve nozzles tho.

This was direct from the head snow perfromance tech at thier 1-800 line. Very knowledgeable and helpful guy that steered me away from buying the extra auxillary valve saying that is no longer needed with the new version with the built in check valve in the nozzle. Ill have to say he is right, i dont get any siphoning or loss of fluid.

They still need to update thier instruction pdf and booklets.

Interesting. Thanks. A guy over on golfmkv is complaining that some of his snow nozzles drip and some don't.

so, I told him to call Snow. :meh:

I wonder if some old stock being used up vs new design?

Relaying from golfmkv:

This is Brad at Snow Performance.
The check valve nozzle holders are a pretty new part. If your system is older than a few months it probably did not come with the check valve nozzle holders. The old style without a check valve has a 1 inch body and 1.5 inch total length. The new style with the check valve is 1.5 inch body length and 2 inch total length. The main purpose of the check valve nozzle holders is to prevent gravity feed or vacuum siphoning. So if your tank is in the rear of your vehicle or your nozzle is mounted after the throttle plate we would highly recommend either a solenoid in the line between the tank and the pump or the new check valve nozzle holders for each nozzle on the car. If your car has the tank mounted in the front and the nozzle isnt subject to vacuum than there is no cause for concern. Also the cracking psi for the check valve is 10 psi.

I'll be sticking with the nozzles & holders & DO check valves i have.

Anybody wanna buy a Snow solenoid? Still in the baggie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom