Builds Limited V8 4Runner "Build" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hi lift work. I'm going to figure out a way to modify these brackets so I can use them on the cross bars on the roof rack.

IMG_8258.JPG

Disassembled the hi lift and cleaned it. Going to hit the rusty spots with a little spray paint so they won't continue to rust.

IMG_8259.JPG

On the mounts, your bigger issue will be the top half. Those holes can't be moved in the aluminum stand can they? I don't know what the cross bar is made of, but you might drill it to accept the u-bolt.

On the mounts, your bigger issue will be the top half. Those holes can't be moved in the aluminum stand can they? I don't know what the cross bar is made of, but you might drill it to accept the u-bolt.

Well, I beat the s*** out of the bracket to flatten the part at the bottom and I think that's going to work. I'll take them down to the shop tomorrow to put in the vice and bend the side back to where they will fit in the top part of the bracket. I was mostly just testing to see if there was ANY way the bracket would go around the cross bar.

I will get it sorted out. Elbow grease and a BFH.

I'd love to say I'm making progress but I'm really not. I've gone back to the drawing board so many times on the hi lift I'm about to just say F it and take my chances. Someone else will surely have one if I need to get bailed out.

So essentially I've put everything back in the truck how I think it will eventually go. Worked a little on the anchor mechanism for the box. But that's about it.

IMG_8352.JPG

Just an idea...I had a 48" hilift on my latch holds on the second row seats for a long time. Worked well!! Basically use some j hook bolts looped over the latch bars, then captured in blocks of wood then bolt the hi lift on. Worked well.

Just an idea...I had a 48" hilift on my latch holds on the second row seats for a long time. Worked well!! Basically use some j hook bolts looped over the latch bars, then captured in blocks of wood then bolt the hi lift on. Worked well.

I think I remember that. Was it attached to the striker where the second row seat latches or on the back of the seat like where the car seat hooks are?

Car seat hooks. I still have all the hardware of you want to take a drive. Can set it up today.

Hit up @DanKunz yesterday but unfortunately the back of the 2nd row seat is different on the 4Runner and GX so that's out. Will have to go back to the drawing board again. Looking at it yesterday we were both thinking that just mounting straight to the top of the box is the way to go. Will post updates again sometime soon!! For now I have to get emissions and get my tag renewed!!

Been slacking on this lately. Still need brakes at minimum before the crawl. Hope to get drawers finished still. That's probably going to be it. Everything else will just be non-truck related prep.

Also picked up another distraction the other day. (Need more of those like a hole in the head...)

IMG_8538.JPG

Well the cruiser crawl really snuck up on me. Pretty much putting everything on hold until after that.

Also since the drawers are on hold that means I can sleep in the truck and not have to pack a tent!

Caught a bit of damage as well. First one was on a fairly easy trail. Came off a ledge and truck shifted into a tree. Unfortunately I could only go forward which ripped the flare off.

IMG_9112.JPG

Then on the following day we attempted a trail called "can opener"... probably not the best decision. I think I could have made the final obstacle but didn't want to completely destroy my truck.

IMG_9137.JPG

Luckily both in roughly the same spot. I'm actually going to fix the damage this time. Also I think the 4Runner is going to be relegated to towing and maybe just some light wheeling duties. Want to try to at least keep it somewhat nice. Probably going to buy a crawler or buggy for when I want to do stupid things.

Oh dude, sucks about the carnage. Mine is a light wheeler/tow rig while the 80 does the heavy lifting. So, you're on the right decision path about getting a second rig that you can flog on.

Oh dude, sucks about the carnage. Mine is a light wheeler/tow rig while the 80 does the heavy lifting. So, you're on the right decision path about getting a second rig that you can flog on.

Yeah it sucks but I can get it fixed. My previous off-road rig was on 37s with dual transfer cases and could go just about anywhere. Big difference wheeling this truck. I will still do some lighter wheeling and camping and stuff with the 4Runner for sure though. It is actually amazing off-road. I was massively impressed with it at the event. I followed my friend @BMThiker all over the place. With a little more armor and some bigger tires I think I could go just about anywhere he does. But getting into the hardest trails still requires a buggy or something close. So that's def my next move.

You will probably find that you will need a crowbar to get the stock skid plates off. That’s what happened to me when I took the GX on a trail that was above its stock capabilities. :p

Sounds about right. Feel bad for my techs when I bring it in for an oil change next time. Haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom