Joining the Pig Pen! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DoubleNickels

SILVER Star
Threads
Well well, I'm beyond ecstatic. After keeping my eyes peeled for a *reasonably* priced FJ55 I just scored not one but two of the ol' girls from another Idahoan. I'm located in Boise and a gent over in Twin Falls (~120 miles east) was looking to pass along his projects. I skipped over there this evening with low expectations and was blown away at the integrity of them given the low asking price.

As is often the case, one of the vehicles is in pretty darn good shape and the other is essentially a donor rig. Neither one runs, of course, but between the two I'm hoping I can get it figured out.

So... call this a placeholder for a build thread. I've been here on MUD for some time as I'm the proud owner of a 1989 FJ62. A build thread of my own has never made sense since I've just mostly performed the "average" maintenance and moderate upgrades. With these pigs, however, I'll be jumping in to the deep end and tackling everything from body repair/fab to engine rebuilds.

I can't wait. I'll be relying on you all frequently, of course. Cheers to MUD, couldn't do it without you all. Also an advanced thanks to local MUDDERS @ridefastflyfar , @RogerThat , and @Owyhee Jackass for helping talk sense into me when I panic in the future....

-Calvin

PS: I know, threads are useless without pics. I'll upload tons once the pigs make it to my house - for now I'm trying to figure out shipping options. Stay tuned!

Great people and great resources around here... 2nd looking forward to images when you get both of them home.

he bought TWO...with a name like double nickles, I expect nothing less. bout time you antied up:)

We have a few Boise pig owners here on MUD, looking forward to the pictures!!

Two?!?! Congratulations…I guess?

What years did you end up with?

Did you happen to buy them from Eric, aka @ginericLC ?

Probably not, Eric is in Mtn. Home, a bit closer to Boise than Twin...and is still hoarding 55's, not selling them AFAIK.

Those were a good buy and the guy seemed really nice.

I haven't sold mine yet. I am wishy washy. I have deep sentimental attachments to 55 as I grew up in the back seat of one. However my health issue is getting worse rather than better and I want to build one more Cruiser while I still can and it has to be the 40/80/4.7 V8 project as it is the easiest to complete on my timeline. The 55s are a long term project. I don't think I have a long term project in my future of any kind.

Eric V.

Well well, I'm beyond ecstatic. After keeping my eyes peeled for a *reasonably* priced FJ55 I just scored not one but two of the ol' girls from another Idahoan. I'm located in Boise and a gent over in Twin Falls (~120 miles east) was looking to pass along his projects. I skipped over there this evening with low expectations and was blown away at the integrity of them given the low asking price.

As is often the case, one of the vehicles is in pretty darn good shape and the other is essentially a donor rig. Neither one runs, of course, but between the two I'm hoping I can get it figured out.

So... call this a placeholder for a build thread. I've been here on MUD for some time as I'm the proud owner of a 1989 FJ62. A build thread of my own has never made sense since I've just mostly performed the "average" maintenance and moderate upgrades. With these pigs, however, I'll be jumping in to the deep end and tackling everything from body repair/fab to engine rebuilds.

I can't wait. I'll be relying on you all frequently, of course. Cheers to MUD, couldn't do it without you all. Also an advanced thanks to local MUDDERS @ridefastflyfar , @RogerThat , and @Owyhee Jackass for helping talk sense into me when I panic in the future....

-Calvin

PS: I know, threads are useless without pics. I'll upload tons once the pigs make it to my house - for now I'm trying to figure out shipping options. Stay tuned!

The Any 55s are a long term project. I don't think I have a long term project in my future of any kind.

Eric V.

Sorry to hear you are having health issues my friend! I hope you can recover and pull off the project of your ambitions!

I haven't sold mine yet. I am wishy washy. I have deep sentimental attachments to 55 as I grew up in the back seat of one. The 55s are a long term project. I don't think I have a long term project in my future of any kind.

Eric V.

Scrap the 40/80/4.7 V8 project idea and get started on the 55/80/4.7 V8 project and I’ll help if needed.

Woohoo! Yep, two of them. Why stop at just one!?

@ginericLC , sorry to hear of your health issues, hopefully you bounce back soon.
@J Mack , hope to run into you soon. I'll do some stalking here on MUD and see if I recognize your rig from around town.

Just need to figure out a way to get them over here. Auto transporters are looking $$$$. J Mack, any chance you or someone you know has a car trailer?

PS: DoubleNickels is an ode to an old punk album by The Minutemen. Double Nickels on the Dime - as in cruisin' at 55mph on the I-10. 55 mph seemed fitting for these cruisers, especially since I'm jumping into cars without overdrive!

@J Mack , hope to run into you soon. I'll do some stalking here on MUD and see if I recognize your rig from around town.

ve!

My junk just blends in with the rest of the station wagons running around town doubt you'll see me unless your looking hard, I might be able to help with a trailer, give me a day or two to get my poop together on some stuff I'm working on and give me a PM to see what I come up with.

... give me a day or two to get my poop together on some stuff I'm working on and give me a PM to see what I come up with.

Wow, that's awesome. I'll shoot you a PM in a few days, thanks!

@Lil'John , my plan (for now) is to make one functional pig out of the two I have, then likely part out/sell the remainder. I'll be going dang-near stock; about the fanciest thing I have in mind is a 3" lift, maybe some 32's. We'll see what develops.

I have a car trailer you can borrow. This week is very hectic for me or I'd offer to haul them for you. I could probably do it next week.

Actually next week I could probably borrow a double trailer from a friend and haul them both in one trip.

Actually next week I could probably borrow a double trailer from a friend and haul them both in one trip.

My mind is officially blown, Eric. I'll shoot you a PM. Thanks so much. -Calvin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom