Joining the club...finally! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was finally able to pull the trigger on a GX470. I have been roaming this site and researching them for a while now and was finally able to find one locally that I liked. It is a super clean 2003 non-nav with 120k miles. It has good service records and grew up in west Texas so there is absolutely no rust. I am coming from a 3rd gen 4runner which I have owned for 12 years now and it just turned 250k, so it was time for a little bit of an upgrade. The 4runner has been a tank and still runs like a top, I love the truck and am a little sad that I am going to be replacing it. I had my heart set on a FJ cruiser for the longest until I discovered built GX470's a few years ago and now with a family the GX just makes sense. I plan on doing a somewhat of a budget build with the GX, I don't do any hardcore wheeling but we do like to run some mild trails up in Colorado (Ouray/Buena Vista areas) and camp/fish during the summer. I'm looking at some Billy 5100's all around with OME springs and stock UCA's for now, still trying to decide on a wheel/tire combo. Once I sell the 4runner I will be able to start ordering parts and will post more pics as it progresses to maybe help give others ideas as you all have done for me. Ok, enough rambling here are a few pics from the dealer lot.

14054190_10210498873178140_6559073588841379661_n.jpg
P_20160817_155236_LL.jpg
P_20160817_155259_LL.jpg
14040129_10210498873338144_180627330382253804_n.jpg

Welcome, give a shout when you come across the northern boarder :)

Last edited:
Welcome :)

I called Dustin at FN Wheels just to get a stock status on some FX Pros and ended up ordering a set. The guy was supper cool like everyone has said, can't wait to get this thing lifted now.

P_20160829_152941_LL.jpg

P_20160829_153036_LL.jpg

P_20160829_153129_LL.jpg

Nice find. No nav. Looks clean. I just got back from doing Black Bear and Poughkeepsie Gulch in a GX like you are talking about building. I used the Billy and Toytec springs. Toytec have a slightly higher rate. Enjoy your build.

Nice find. No nav. Looks clean. I just got back from doing Black Bear and Poughkeepsie Gulch in a GX like you are talking about building. I used the Billy and Toytec springs. Toytec have a slightly higher rate. Enjoy your build.

Thanks man. Do you mind me asking which toytec springs you paired with the billy's and how much lift you netted? How did she handle those trails with that set up?

Thanks man. Do you mind me asking which toytec springs you paired with the billy's and how much lift you netted? How did she handle those trails with that set up?

Colorado 4wd Trail Build

I could not be happier. This is not my first 4wd. I wanted a SUV that was first off comfortable. Second off capable off road. I knew that a stock GX with good tires could do most trails around here with care. But I wanted a little extra ease in doing the trails. I figured about 2" of lift would get my what I wanted. I also did not want a lot of compromise around town or the highway. No noise, no harsh suspension. No bounce. I nailed it with the help or Orion. The key is the right springs and rate. Not too soft and zero preload on the bilstein. Over 2 inches and you need to consider a lot of other things. Upper control arms, etc. I love those wheels you got. I want some but couldn't justify them. I went with 256/70/17. Once again. Moderation. KO2's are a great dual purpose tire as well. Air it down to 20psi. Super comfy.

As far as how it does. I seem to only have friends with trucks/jeeps on 35"s. But every trail I do I walk away impressed. Even the ones rated "difficult" I can do with little issue. Of course it has limits. But I can do all the passes that I wanted to do. I am not scraping the undercarriage either. I did hit it very softly on Poughkeepsie a couple time. I most have hit the slider but I can't see a mark. That was the first time really. But I am careful. The biggest limitation for normal Colorado passes is the bumpers. They are kinda low. I do drag the trailer hitch and I just know one of these days I may snag the rear bumper. I may cut it a little higher. I have seen some pictures. It doesn't look bad really.

Discount tire was running a Labor Day sale last week so I decided to pull the trigger on some tires. I was planning on running 285's like on my 4runner but at the last minute I went with some 275/70/17's. I was able to see them side by side and they are slightly smaller but should be sufficient for the trials and wheeling we do and the idea was to try and keep a little of the stock MPG's since its a DD. I was really close to getting the new Falken at3w's but I just couldn't resist the sexy KO2's. Now I just need to sell the 4runner so I can fund the suspension/lift and mount these bad boys.

P_20160907_174408_LL.jpg

Wife wasn't too happy with the way I decorated the table....
P_20160908_173753_LL.jpg
P_20160908_173806_LL.jpg

I wonder if those fit in the spare tire well. Even aired down a little would be ok with me.
I am definitely going to test it out when it comes time to bolt them on. I will let you know.

best all around tires ever
I had the original KO's back in the day and loved them so I hope these can live up to the hype. Pictures of your rig were a big reason I went with the 275's, looks so clean.

I run the 34 on my gx. Love them!

I tried that size initially on stock wheels, they looked great. The spare will fit deflated and ratchet strapped into the stock location, but I was not happy with that so I returned them and went with 265's. I will get the 285's or the 34's when I can afford to get the Metaltech rear bumper with the swingout.

Lobodog you should check the High Desert Cruiser's out under the clubhouse section we do monthly breakfasts and occasional trail runs. I would love to have another GX in the group.

I tried that size initially on stock wheels, they looked great. The spare will fit deflated and ratchet strapped into the stock location, but I was not happy with that so I returned them and went with 265's. I will get the 285's or the 34's when I can afford to get the Metaltech rear bumper with the swingout.

Lobodog you should check the High Desert Cruiser's out under the clubhouse section we do monthly breakfasts and occasional trail runs. I would love to have another GX in the group.
Thanks for the invite man, I will definitely introduced my self on there. I have checked it out a few times but was waiting to get the GX set up a little before posting on there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom