Builds Isuzu 4BD1T Lexus LX450 (Land Cruiser) Build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Did it ever cross your mind to swap ina NV4500 instead of an auto?

Yes I got an NV4500 adapter at the time i got the engine. I wanted to maintain an auto and more so AWD. There was no viable option to maintain the AWD with the NV4500 at the time. I also enjoy driving an auto off road more now.

...via IH8MUD app

Is it not possible to match the 80 series transfer case with the NV4500? I have never gone offroad in a manual so I don't know how difficult it is but I am starting my own research on how to do a swap similar to yours. My friend owns a very large junkyard so I will likely be able to get both a 4BD and NV4500 for a grand. A NV4500 just goes along with your mechanical is better principle (which I agree with).

Is it not possible to match the 80 series transfer case with the NV4500? I have never gone offroad in a manual so I don't know how difficult it is but I am starting my own research on how to do a swap similar to yours. My friend owns a very large junkyard so I will likely be able to get both a 4BD and NV4500 for a grand. A NV4500 just goes along with your mechanical is better principle (which I agree with).

IIRC, the stock FZJ80 T-case will work with the NV4500. I'm a newbie, and trying to soak-up as much info as possible. I'm in the planning phase of a FZJ80 with a 4BD2T as well. I'm leaning to the NV4500 as well, but have much more homework to do. That's a great price, I would jump on it now.

IIRC, the stock FZJ80 T-case will work with the NV4500. I'm a newbie, and trying to soak-up as much info as possible. I'm in the planning phase of a FZJ80 with a 4BD2T as well. I'm leaning to the NV4500 as well, but have much more homework to do. That's a great price, I would jump on it now.
I would go with the 4BD1T because of direct injection vs indirect injection. Then just upgrade the turbo from the 1T and add a wastegate.

Yes, there's an adapter available to mate the NV4500 up with the 80-Series full time case. Made by Allmaras Machine.

Yes, there's an adapter available to mate the NV4500 up with the 80-Series full time case. Made by Allmaras Machine.
Thats fantastic news. That should make setting everything up much easier. Since I won't be personally doing the swap all I really need to research is the best turbo for the job. I am a diesel noob so that might take a while.

Yeah at the time I sold the NV4500 adapter there was nothing available for the NV4500 to FZJ80 t case. If I was going it again I would probably go auto again. I need my wife to feel comfortable driving it and a manual is not her thing.

If I start going through a440's then I may revisit but may just go to a A442 hydro from a 1HD.

...via IH8MUD app

Isn't the A442 quite a bit more expensive? Then again looking at your location that makes more sense. For us in the states I think the NV4500 is probably the better choice.

Isn't the A442 quite a bit more expensive? Then again looking at your location that makes more sense. For us in the states I think the NV4500 is probably the better choice.

Not really still far cheaper than a usable NV4500 from a Dodge will cost me locally. Can find A442's in the $400-700 range. A lot more than my $100 A440's but still not bad.

...via IH8MUD app

So last night to work on the truck last night. Worked on the suspension and the tach cal.

The slee springs and Fox shocks look good together. The valving of the fox shocks so far seem to be good with the springs. I am still about 300lbs light (no front bumper, winch, dual battery and rear drawers).

I also extended my rear sway bar links last night with a 4" section of DOM. Overall the links are 2.75-3"longer than stock.

In the front I plan to use blocks to space the whole bar down.

I moved onto the tach and was able to get the calibration setup for the 127 flywheel teeth of the Isuzu. Tach seems to be reading about 600rpm at Idle so that sounds about right nut it does not seem to go up with the actual engine RPM as you would expect. Ill need to play with it some more when I get back. My truck takes a 12 pulse per rev and I need to figure out what setting I need for the 127/12 system.

...via IH8MUD app

Ok so back from my 5 week work trip. Took a few days to get to know my wife again and just relax at a pool.

Today I got back to the truck, swapped in my fresly rebuilt t case with EBI low range gears. Swap went well faught with a couple bolts thst took far too long to get out. Then I was able to get the shifter area all back together for a final time. Did not test drive it yet though.

I then got the rear sway bar installed and a few other suspention bits sorted.

Tomorrow the plan is the work on the wiring and hopfully get itvmostly sorted. And possibly get some more of the exhaust done.

Hope to take it for good drive Wendesday.

Do you have info on the EBI low range gears? Did a quick search but don't see anything on the web.

What are you running for suspension? Are those pin mount Fox 2.0s? Mine has bagged Bilsteins and worn out OME springs. I need to do something about the suspension. I was thinking of going for F-O-A 2.0s, 10", and maybe messing with the bottom mount to turn it into a pin mount, but messing with valving forever is not my idea of a good time.

Looking good! I can't believe you went for the crawler gears, this this is going to crawl like a dozer. The big 4 cyl diesel and auto combo is unbelievable. I have never wanted lower gears, there is just so much grunt.

Disregard the questions about suspension. I did a little searching and found everything I need to know. This is exactly what I would like to do to mine in the next year. I am really looking forward to your impressions of this combo, it's the same price as a 2.0 FOA remote reservoir shock but with bushing mounts that should last a lot longer in our climate...

I moved onto the tach and was able to get the calibration setup for the 127 flywheel teeth of the Isuzu. Tach seems to be reading about 600rpm at Idle so that sounds about right nut it does not seem to go up with the actual engine RPM as you would expect. Ill need to play with it some more when I get back. My truck takes a 12 pulse per rev and I need to figure out what setting I need for the 127/12 system.

...via IH8MUD app

I tried using the chart in the documentation for the dakota digital box to compute my ratio, however in the end I ended up having to just hold the up or down button to adjust it. It takes a bit but was pretty straightforward. When I talked to their tech support about it this seemed to be their preferred method.

Shouldn't be an issue for your sensor setup, but on mine routing the input and output wires too close together messed up the tach output. I reused some shielded sensor wire I cut out of the loom for the input wire and that helped a bunch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom