If you were to start over what lift would you choose? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
If your FJ40 was stock what lift would you choose if you were starting all over again?

Mines a 1977

Same as I have now none:D

Same as i put on, i have a 77 also ,, and went OME heavy. rides great, flexes great. a for sure do over ...

Cheers,,, :beer:

SOA. I bought a SUA lift kit originally, but I hated how stiff the springs were when wheeling and having tires in the air. The money I spent on the lift springs would have covered a lot of the cost of the SOA (I do my own work, so the cost of either lift is close by saving on labor).

A better way would probably be doing what woody did. His truck is much steadier than my SOA on the same lines. I have spent enough on my suspension in the last couple of years that I am going to hold off a while before I change again, but when I do I will probably copy his setup.

Clint

I have the HFS 4" on mine and I like it but its all I've ever had. Nice setup for a 4" lift. If not this one then I'm sure any of the OME kits are just as good, if not better than mine.

It really depends on what type of use your rig will see. If it is a DD then avoid the SOA. If it is a Trail rig then go SOA.

I cannot recomend the SOR 4" lift. They are crazy stiff.

If I had it to do over. I would probably go with stock height OME springs on the front and some 60 series on the rear and do a SOA.

Exactly. It all depends on what you are going after. The original question is way too vague.

Exactly. It all depends on what you are going after. The original question is way too vague.
I don't see why it's vague, I am asking what Lift you would choose if your fj40 stock... Not mine I'm not asking for you to recomend me a lift...

1/4 eliptical.

I'm gonna stick with my SUA until I build up enough confidence to tackle a new setup.

Kevin

My 40 is pretty much only for trail use. With that being the case, SOA is the way to go. Otherwise, SUA is better for everything else, and much easier.

I don't see why it's vague, I am asking what Lift you would choose if your fj40 stock... Not mine I'm not asking for you to recomend me a lift...

If one's objectives were only to fit a 31 tire for their daily comute vs. someone going after 37's for some extreme mud/rocks, the choices are on opposite ends of the spectrum. Hope this helps.

I usually go cheap so I put on a pinacle lift from JTO. I got it with anti-inversion shackles, greasable pins, u bolts, shocks, springs and everything. It was supposed to be a 2" lift but with the anti inversion shackles its closer to 3.5. It took a little tweaking to get it level but it looks good. It rides like a tractor but it looks good. Now i'm past the cheap so I'm going to replace the springs only with O.M.E. The pinacles ride a lot rougher than my friends ccot soft rides but they aren't unbearable. If you are looking for 2-3" on a budget and quick I would go stock with long ad-a-leafs and 1.5 anti inversion shackles. Pinacle is the cheap route. ccot is a good 4" lift. I have yet to hear someone say that the O.M.E. is less than the best.

If your FJ40 was stock what lift would you choose if you were starting all over again?

Mines a 1977

Sure as he!! wouldn't be leafs :rolleyes: I'd retrofit a coil spring suspension from a Heep TJ :cool: It ain't that *hard or *expensive - gotta have the tools & time. The biggest expense is the link mat'l. & joints. Scavenge ALL the brackets from said TJ - post a wanted ad on Pirate for this. Score some lifted coils off Ebay & buy some misc. hdwe. & steel locally. Get CREATIVE & DON'T settle for someone elses bolt on excuse for a suspension = leafs! :hillbilly:

I put in an OME 2.5 and, while I'm not looking for a cadillac ride, this is too rough on the open road.

The height is perfect. The ride is harsh. I took out a leaf and some air to help but the change was small.

Sure as he!! wouldn't be leafs :rolleyes: I'd retrofit a coil spring suspension from a Heep TJ :cool: It ain't that *hard or *expensive - gotta have the tools & time. The biggest expense is the link mat'l. & joints. Scavenge ALL the brackets from said TJ - post a wanted ad on Pirate for this. Score some lifted coils off Ebay & buy some misc. hdwe. & steel locally. Get CREATIVE & DON'T settle for someone elses bolt on excuse for a suspension = leafs! :hillbilly:

Thanks for posting the u-tube links in your signature. They are very informative.

FYI: my current suspension is a set of near stock springs (of unknown branding) with full length add-a-leafs on all fours. The ride is great on & off highway. Apx. 3 1/2" of lift is acquired. I am looking to get rid of the add-a-leafs; especially up front (safety issue). looking at SOA with a cut & turn up front as in Hawaii there are no mainland style long trips to the trail head. Leaning towards a 4 link in the rear but must evaluate the benefits with the shortened rear drive shaft of a GM drive train in a 40.

Hey Rice,
Are your OME springs light or heavy? How many springs in the pack? Just wondering about the harsh ride because I was about to change to OME. I found that the 1.5 shackles made my pinacles ride a little smoother. I guess it gives them more room to move horizontally.

Good question. I'm about to restart my 72 rebuild.

I can't decide between leaving it SUA, order Alcans or SOA.

I'll be running at least a 36, which I know can fit SUA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom