Wish List - FJ 40 - What you would have done if you got to rebuild a 40 all over again? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What would you wish for when rebuilding a FJ40 for camping

1. Suspension Upgrade?
  2. PTO Winch?
  3. ??????

Anything and everything counts

The BEST entry wins a fully refurbished Steering Wheel FJ40 (70's) style ....................

Starting off with a 1966 FJ40 - Condition is very bad - Have to start from SCRATCH

Last edited:
Might help others to know what you have to work with, what is the starting point?

Fj60/62 front disc brake conversion
80 series non/ ABS master and booster
Fj60 power steering box conversion
70 series full float rear end with disc brakes and rear e-brake
LS 5.3/6.0 h55f split case
Dakota digital instrument cluster
Less than garage queen paint job, single stage
3.73 gears
Cityracer LED lights
I-camper low profile rooftop tent
Warn 8274
Vintage AC and heat
Exterior hammock tie points
Harrop front and rear locker
33 skinnies

A quality, non-overpriced (sorry, ARB) air compressor. One of the all metal viair models or a puma perhaps. On board or removable.

Aux gas tank is #1 mod, they don't hold enough fuel IMHO.

#2 Electric fuel pump - easy gas for instant boy scout camp fire or to fill your GI gasoline burning 1 or 2 burner cook stoves. You could also easily bail out Matt's Off Road Recovery when you come across him in the trail out of fuel.

#3 Big rear heater unit, because when it's 30 below you can drive around in short and a tee shirt with the windows down and still be warm.

#4 roof rack. Duffle bags with coats, sleeping bags, cross country skies and poles and other light stuff.

My 72 FJ has hauled 2 people and a very nice fully equipped camp, don't shoot anything bigger than a few grouse if you plan to bring them home.

NV4500 five speed tranny. Makes me grin every time!

22 1/2 gallon fuel tank.
Split transfer case.
Full floating rear axle with hand brake.
Factory power steering.
Collapsible steering column because it's easy to cut down for power steering.
H55F speed.
PTO winch.
Factory A/C.

All available on the 40 series from 10/82 on in some markets.

Optional: non 40 series

Lower transfer case gearing in low range while keeping 3.70:1 diff gears.
Cable locking diffs
3FE engine.
Upgrade audio

I'm used to tent camping off a dualsport motorcycle limited carrying capacity means everything must be compact and well thought out. I'm looking forward to taking the 40 to the mountains for a camping trip this coming summer, with that kind of space available I'll be able to take all sorts of luxuries the bike won't allow.

Better, more comfortable seats that recline, and that are heated.

After driving along for hours scouting trout streams on nasty roads, it would be really nice if the seats were a little more comfortable and adjustable. Cruising to the mountain to ski all winter, having some additional heat to keep warm, now that's top shelf stuff right there.

Better, more comfortable seats that recline, and that are heated.

After driving along for hours scouting trout streams on nasty roads, it would be really nice if the seats were a little more comfortable and adjustable. Cruising to the mountain to ski all winter, having some additional heat to keep warm, now that's top shelf stuff right there.
Well then here is what you need: :)

2024 Land Cruiser.jpg

I would've made better life decisions so I could just hand somebody a blank check, and tell them to make it happen. 😆

or....
I would've started with a title and a garbage can full of rust.
The cruiser that has something worth repairing is about the highest cost project you can get. The way the Toyota bodies are designed and assembled, they are a joke anyways.
No point in trying to fix a garbage can full of rust.

I'd do:
-Aluminum body.
-Same engine/drive line I have now. (Maybe a 1FZ instead of the diesel)
-Would've done a new full float rear axle right off the bat.

Just would've skipped a bunch of steps, and wouldn't have angered the puritan crowd much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom