I have 24 days to build this trailer (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Would the lid you created fit on an authentic M101? Eager to see how your RTT lift system works out, fantastic work. And mild professional curiosity, what software are you using for your 3D work?

Should be close to fitting on an original one. Just depends on the width of the rail where it lands. Not sure what the original is.

Solidworks 2014. I stick mostly to the sheetmetal toolbar as everything we make at work needs to have a flat layout generated.

...via IH8MUD app

A few more pics

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1398036420.557311.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1398036446.411773.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1398036470.329253.jpg

...via IH8MUD app

if you have a socket that fits that nut, you could probably reach it with some extensions through the 2x2 if it's not too long. Actually come to think of it, you don't need to tighten it more than fingertight anyway if you want it to rotate freely. You might want to put some light Loctite though to help a bit.

I bet that 90% of the people out there will think it's an original military. Nicely done!

Last edited:
Simply a thing of beauty and extreme utility, a tough combination to pull off. :wrench::clap:I like how you managed to retain the delicate edge look of the original fenders. I just went with square and ugly on mine, but I was having to tell someone else how I wanted them, as I'm no welder.

Did you have any problems/drama with the assembly or did it pretty much go as planned? So many good ideas in this one.

Still assembling. Having a bit of trouble with the geometry of the lift struts on the lid. Too much force in some directions so I am making a plan B to mount them so they have less stress on the hinge. Also the tent lift is a bit of bother. When I put both struts on I can't pull it down (300lbs of force). But I haven't mounted the tent yet though so still working on that. The assembly itself is done, its just hardware and latches to fuss with now. The wiring is half done in that the hardware is mounted and I just have to run the wires.

No pics, I'll get some tonight.

Here is where I left off last night.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1398205806.448728.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1398205828.450078.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1398205852.920780.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1398205869.945930.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1398205891.638732.jpg

...via IH8MUD app

Would it be crazy to mount some kind of extra lever off to one side that could assist with opening or closing, then lay out of the way when not needed?

My original design was a removable lever and receiver for it and no gas struts.

...via IH8MUD app

some pics, nearly done. Just need to fine tune the lid latch, bolt down the tent and pull my wire.

There will be some mods to tweek the design. The tent lift functions but two 150# gas springs is too much and one is not enough. The lid gas springs were re-located to lift from the latching side rather than the hinge side so they had better leverage but either way they push so hard they spread the rear end open. And I don't want my rear end spread open. I bolted a temporary cross brace inside the tailgate and I will fix this issue later. I will make a permanent connection (bolted in) across the top of the tailgate and shorten the gate to suit. This will also eliminate the need to crack open the lid in order to use the tailgate which you must do ATM. Also the lid gasket will then have a permanent surface to land on.

Anyway, I am happy with the look and the bones of the design. I can now use it as is and make mods going forward. I will post more action shots as she gets outside and on the road/trail

IMG_4550.JPG
IMG_4552.JPG
IMG_4553.JPG

IMG_4556.JPG

I have a crazy idea, but since your lift for the RTT works so well, did you think of doing that with the whole lid?
That would offer incredible access to the trailer contents, and you could put a lawn chair up there for morning coffee.
Some kind of build record though, I'm completely in awe of how quickly and well
done this is. :clap:

Looking forward to the shots of it on the trail. Great work!:beer::beer:

Ok I have to ask......After the amazing metal work, RTT lift assembly, Cool vintage wheels with dog dish caps, front mount spare and custom lid.
Why did you use those aweful hinges on the tailgate?

They distract from this awesome trailer.

Cool vintage wheels with dog dish caps

Trust me those don't make good dog dishes. The point doesn't sit flat on the floor. These work better but according to Landpimp make better ashtrays.
IMG_0635.JPG

Still can't believe how well this trailer turned out in such a short time. But how nice his reproduction tailgate are I shouldn't be surprised.

I have more pcs but here we are in Slickrock waiting for the rest of you.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1398545912.700383.jpg

...via IH8MUD app

Rub it in....:beer:

Trailer turned out great

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom