Registering Homemade Trailer in California (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MickTLC

SILVER Star
Threads
I took my homemade teardrop trailer to California DMV in Ventura today and got it registered and received the plates. Since detailed information is not easy to find on the process, I’m posting it for reference.

Fill out forms and take to DMV
  • Application for Title REG 343
  • PTI Application form REG 4017
  • Statement of Construction REG 5036
  • Statement of facts REG 256 - detail the build and state weight of trailer and that all lights are working
  • Copies of receipts to show you bought all the parts for the build
Go to DMV and let them know you want to register a homemade utility trailer. They will have VIN assigned. Pay $20 fee.

Have it inspected by DMV inspector and they will assign and afix a sticker with new VIN number.

Go back to the clerk to finish paperwork with new VIN info. Make will be SPCNS - special construction.

Pay $47 for plates and registration.

IMG_9911.jpeg
IMG_9922.png
IMG_9918.jpeg

Lesson learned, in CA if YOU assign the trailer a vehicle identification number the DMV will use it. Can then make the VIN whatever you might want it to be. When MISF & I registered the CUT we didn't know this, but the person who did the actual inspection told us that if it had a VIN already that he would just use it. DOH!

When I took the trailer that my grandfather built in to register it in CA (Built in Oregon = no plates so no VIN) I had already stamped a VIN comprising of his initials, the best guess year-month date that he built it, and a three digit sequence number. Which that inspector happily used.

Did your inspector tell you to stamp the number in the tongue near the VIN sticker, and then again in someplace where only you know? Our first one told us that, so now both are stamped in two places.

Lesson learned, in CA if YOU assign the trailer a vehicle identification number the DMV will use it. Can then make the VIN whatever you might want it to be. When MISF & I registered the CUT we didn't know this, but the person who did the actual inspection told us that if it had a VIN already that he would just use it. DOH!

When I took the trailer that my grandfather built in to register it in CA (Built in Oregon = no plates so no VIN) I had already stamped a VIN comprising of his initials, the best guess year-month date that he built it, and a three digit sequence number. Which that inspector happily used.

Did your inspector tell you to stamp the number in the tongue near the VIN sticker, and then again in someplace where only you know? Our first one told us that, so now both are stamped in two places.
Yes the inspector recommended to stamp the number under the tongue in case the sticker he put on falls off or is removed. I put two rivets to make it more secure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom