I have 24 days to build this trailer (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Awl_TEQ

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Yup. Certifiably overly ambitious. But I have to have it for Moab.

I decided a while ago I would build myself a CDN M101A type knock off trailer. Aluminum tub, steel frame, 33" KM2's on stock steelies to match the truck. Park brake. Just a simple tub trailer. No built in kitchen or any house batteries. At least to start. I can always add on later.

I love the look of the military trailers and so have been collecting parts. It's the little things that make the difference when it comes to styling.

124.JPG

125.JPG

I've got tubing in the shop ready to cut the frame and I'm nearly done modeling the tub. The lid is done modeling. Picking up the axle this evening. Tires are here. Rims are at the powder coater's.

You'll notice the weird vertical tubes at the rear corners of the frame. Those will be drop legs which when combined with the front jack give me a tripod off semi-stability for the RTT. I thought about a swing out spare tire on the back but it is less "in-the-way" up front.

ALTQA024REV-.JPG

ALTQA024REV-PARALLEL - 1.JPG

well...

If anybody can do it...it would have to be you...

good luck!

Jack is almost burly enough. Springs look short. How are you going about fabricating the tub? Interesting design solution to some of the details not easily formed w/o dedicated tooling.

Looks to be an interesting build. Good basic design, improved.

Jack is almost burly enough. Springs look short. How are you going about fabricating the tub? Interesting design solution to some of the details not easily formed w/o dedicated tooling.

Yes, I've done the slitting trick before when I need ribs. Works pretty good if you can weld it back together flat enough not to show.
Looks to be an interesting build. Good basic design, improved.

I love the original style so I will just add a sealing lid and tailgate and call it good.

Cut some tube last night. Picking up the axle tonight on the way home.

photo.JPG

picked up the axle Tuesday and brought home the tubing for the frame. 6 on 5.5 hubs with parking brake (and electric brakes), 3500# cap.
IMG_4467.JPG

Got some assembly done last night. Somehow I have three square corners! o_O

IMG_4468.JPG

IMG_4469.JPG

IMG_4470.JPG

Awesome. Subscribed.

That's the exact axle I want to put under our trailer.

Some more welding last night. Got the front all together and straight. Mostly welded up.
IMG_4471.JPG

IMG_4472.JPG

IMG_4473.JPG

My rims are back from powder and the tires are mounted and balanced. I plan to have the frame with axle complete by the end of Sunday. Then I can concentrate on the aluminum tub. Need to finish the modeling of the floor and front wall and tailgate. The rest is pretty much done modeling and is ready to cut metal.
FRAME MODEL FOR MOCKUP.JPG

Yeah, I noticed that for the first time the other day. It was parked with it's nose in the wall before.

More welding done today. The frame is complete other than bolts for the spare tire and some provision for wiring.

IMG_4475.JPG

IMG_4476.JPG

IMG_4479.JPG

IMG_4482.JPG
IMG_4483.JPG
IMG_4484.JPG

Hey, axle questions. Where did you get it, approx. cost, is it custom - ie: same track width of FJ40? I need exactly for my FJ45 box utility trailer.
Does the distance between leaf springs match FJ40 track as well?
What kind of parking brake assembly?
I have more, but I'll wait to see what you do. Looks really nice! J

Got it here in Calgary at Standens. I priced the Dexter park brake at several places who all told me they were going to buy it at Standens anyway.

I sized it to fit my trailer and it happens to be 1/2" off of the truck track, so close enough.

To get 6on 5.5 hubs you must go to the 3500# axle and 10" hub as opposed to the 2500# 8". But you can remove a leaf. I think 3500 is too much but we'll see.

With 33" rubber the trailer frame is near enough to exactly the same height as the truck frame or 21.5" to bottom of frame.

...via IH8MUD app

I have standard #3500 springs on my utility trailer for firewood, and will haul a wet cord of fir, with my 800 MAX ATV parked on top ( just to see how much weight it would handle ) and I still had 1" of spring left. But that being said, with just #800 of ATV, and a bit of hunting gear, it pulled nice for several hundred km's north of Ft St James on a hunt, and that road was a lot of wash board.

I'm pulling an all-nighter tonight. The CAD modeling is all done. Now I have to generate CNC code for each of the 50-odd pieces to cut them out on the punch or laser depending on the part.

Here is a teaser and the first indication of my hair-brained scheme to lift the tent to proper height for the zip-on annex room.

ALTQA031REV-.JPG

ALTQA031REV-2.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom