I decided to paint this weekend (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Here is my rig in primer...i have never painted before so I thought I'd give it a try. The paint spray gun I got at harbour freight for like $15. It worked good. I'll put the blue on it tomorrow. Masking was very tricky because I am completely rhino lined inside. I used 1/2 quart.
cruiser in primer ds.jpg.JPG
cruiser in primer ps.jpg.JPG

i promised...here it is

well, i was about to go to bed at 9 and by 11 i was done. It took 1/2 quart ace mixed paint, 10 shop towels, .25 gal mineral spirits for clean up, 1 bud light, 1 pair of poly vinyl gloves, and 1 more can of bud light. These pictures are right after shooting it. I'll see how it dries and prolly do a second coat when I do the windshield frame and hood.
new_blue.jpg (1).JPG
new_blue.jpg (2).JPG
new_blue.jpg (3).JPG

Nice job...love the color. Not bad for a first timer. Dont forget to open your kick vents and paint in there. Post more pics ....

thinning

I didn't thin the paint at all. I think i'm going to thin the second coat 10%.

My compressor is a craftsman 23? or 27 galllon (red one). I had it set at 40 psi out.

The paint did seem like it had to try harder to come out of the gun than the primer did. I imagine thinning will help this.

You will have alot less orange peel when you thin with mineral spirits @10%... :cheers:

Heard somewhere that 60psi at the gun is required??

I wet sanded and put on second coat

Hi All,

Tonight I put wet sanded with 400 and 600 paper and wiped it down with some sponges and clean water, then dried with a soft rag. I thinned the ACE paint 10% and sprayed the second coat. Attached are some pictures. I'm pretty happy with it and am planning on putting a clear coat on it.

My gun was at 40 psi. I thinned with mineral spirits.
second coat front.JPG
second coat cowl.JPG
2nd coat tailgate.JPG

The red circles

I highlighted two dents I left in the tailgate cuz I didn't want to experiment with body filler. The top right dent is courtesy of the factory tire carrier. Although I love my rig, the factory tire carrier was a bit of a lame idea compared to the modern aftermarket bumper carriers.

The second dent smack dab in the middle of the tailgate is courtesy of the dude that sprayed the rhino liner. The gate slipped out of his hand and stopped when it contacted the trailer hitch ball. Fark, what do you do.

But anyhoot...I likee the paint so far.

Took off masking tape

Here it is with the drop cloth off. I like it. I started sanding the hood and windshield frame. Man...the windshield has a lot of fasteners. I really would like to replace the glass, but i'm thinking that will have to wait.
took_off_masking.JPG
took_off_masking (1).JPG
took_off_masking (2).JPG

Yes, for the under fenders, I am thinking of POR 15 or rust bullet in flat black brushed on with the wheel off. (After a nice wirebrush on the end of the drill.)

I thought about this when I decided to paint, and at the time, since I didn't have a whole lot of room, leaving the fenders/aprons/bibs hanging on the truck made sense. A complete removal / sandblast / would be idea.

It has some black undercoating under the tub that is in good shape. The line of light rust you see under the fender is the undercoating worn away from many gravel roads.

I'm also going to put some wax on it.

really nice for a first time!

did you shoot the paint outside?

Very nice job.

Did you cover the whole garage?
Did you have much overspray?
air dry or heat lamps?

Sorry for all the questions.

I didn't shoot the paint outside. I didn't get any overspray in the garage...only on the air intake of the compressor. I opened the garage door half way when shooting the tailgait. It really wasn't that messy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom