how to wire AUX lights to reverse switch and toggle switch (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Lemoore, CA (south of Fresno) / Cortes Island, B.C
I have auxiliary back up lights and side lights on my 40's roof rack. I want to wire them (with a relay) to my reverse light switch on the tranny so when I am in reverse they come on. That is the easy part. I also want to be able to turn on the lights when not in reverse with a toggle switch so I can use them when on the trail at night and setting up camp. The lights need to come on in reverse and come on via a toggle when not in reverse (either parked or moving forward)

Can someone school me on how to wire the auxiliary lights to work with the reverse light switch when backing up and a toggle switch that will only turn on the auxiliary lights when not in reverse..

Run them off a relay, run the reverse switch +12V to a SPDT switch (on-off-on), run unswitched +12V to the other side of the switch, run your lights off the center terminal (switch the relay with this). You will end up with "auto" (switched with reverse), "off", and "on" (even if not in reverse).

I used to build kits for the Nissan Xterra that accomplished this with two relays and a single SPTT lighted switch with two lights. In one position the lights would simple turn on and in the other they would only turn on when the transmission was in reverse and the key switch was on. The switch had a center off position also. I'll look around to see if I still have that schematic for you.

Here is the circuit that TLC76 is referring to. It's simple and works well. Pardon the old drawing it's from my Nissan days... (Note: A later design had a separate fuse for the relay coil wiring as that wire is much smaller and would fry with a fuse rated for the lights. )
AutomanualSwitch.jpg

relay and wiring

This is a simple solution: I had stopped to take care of some business and did not realize someone else had responded also.
Good luck.
gary
2012-01-10 11.21.30.jpg

Last edited:
This could be applied to a couple of relays (and switches) if you want to switch your reverse and side lights independantly.

I am actually doing something very similar for an electric cooling fan right now to have "auto-on-off" functionality. Also wiring in an annoying piezo buzzer for the "off" position...

That's just the "watercrossing" mode. Of course in a pinch you can use your fan as a propellor to get to the other side.

This could be applied to a couple of relays (and switches) if you want to switch your reverse and side lights independantly.

I am actually doing something very similar for an electric cooling fan right now to have "auto-on-off" functionality. Also wiring in an annoying piezo buzzer for the "off" position...

I use a lighted pull on the switch for my electric fan (wired to operate at ignition-off) - no noise, but the light is a warning if I forget to switch it off - the pull operates a relay

41ZM1uhqDTL._SS500_.jpg

Thanks guys. Looks easy enough. Appreciate the responses and diagrams. I'll see if I can get to it this weekend.

You want the side lights to come on when you go into reverse, or you want reverse lights in reverse and side+reverse with the switch?

All rack lights on without being in reverse by a switched source and automatically when the reverse lights turn on.

Any update on this? I am doing the same, and looking for a spdt switch that works in an 80 dash. Any thoughts?

Crazy thought. How about the rear heater control switch. That has two poles, so on off on. or is there some resistor in the switch?

THanks,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom