Houseplan 1.0 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

woody

Staff member
Admin
Threads
Took all my random and strange ideas from the past couple months and began tossing them down on paper over the past couple days....looking to drop a house onto the 4.5 acres of land we purchased early in the Fall.

About 1800 sqft it appears....1.5 baths up, master up, will work on laying out 2 bedrooms and a full bath down next. (window access under the deck) Not sure I like the stairs location in the house, may rotate it 90 degrees and play with some other ideas....

thoughts?
houseplan-main_ver1-0.jpg

Get a software program like 3-D architect.....I think Home Depot used to give it away.....That way you can play with it and view/change alter your design as you go....even see what the inside would look like.....

I use a more sophisticated program everyday to dimension interior/exterior designs (evens calculates constructions costs) but it is way too expensive and difficult to learn for just one project.

And as you know, it may be easier to do some searching for some pre-existing plans that already have factors like proper placement of load-bearing walls, what pitch of roof you need to facilitate interior 2nd floor space, etc.....There are literally thousands of pre-designed plans out there that could save you some money in the long run....

unfortunately, we haven't found one plan we liked yet...I have 2 friends who are CAD experts, both with experience in house design as well, and my builder is VERY helpful with what can/can't be done. He hasn't seen these yet, which is likely not good....lol

Ranch-style tho, so not as much upper load issue.

I've got a pretty sophitistaced program at home that my Dad used to design his....started playing with it last night, LOTS of features, and it will help a great deal.

Ceilings in the basement are 8', main floor will be 9', and the family room will be vaulted a bit. 3 skylights in the kitchen, I've already thought of roof lines and such.

loquito said:
where is the huge heated garage?

I cropped out the 40x60 detached for now! ;) That design is EASY compared to the house itself....and C will kill me if we live in a doublewide for 5 years....lol

usmcruiser said:
I like you you designed a whole room around a pool table.

garages faces due east, so that NW corner with the pool table could turn into a TV/Family room wall in the future and the fireplace side into a sitting/formal side.

Figger we'll be in this house for a minimum 15 years, may as well build it the way WE want.

woody said:
I cropped out the 40x60 detached for now! ;) That design is EASY compared to the house itself....and C will kill me if we live in a doublewide for 5 years....lol
Now thats the size I'm talking about. Mine is called a two car, 19 by 22 feet, Ya right.
Now throw in a real lift and I'll be jelouse.
Good luck, spring is almost here, the building season up here.

I did not realize when you were talking about a two story house that you meant the second level as being the basement.....that should make things a lot easier to design.

Glad you have access to software, just be prepared because they all have glitches! I would only suggest extensive research into the newest technology (like for water-proofing basement walls)...

Pm me if I can be of any help, looks like a straight-forward ranch design, the angled deck or garage will be the most difficult part for me to tie-in with my software (user flaw, not software)

If I were rich like you :) I would plan on having a walk-in communal closet near the bedrooms containing an ironing board station,washer, dryer and shoe racks. Why shuffle clothes up and down the stairs to the basement to wash while it could be done on one floor.Don't forget the urinal in the garage (heated) so you don't have to drag your greasy feet into the house(or plant a bush near the garage :) ).

I've built 4 open floor plan homes in the last 2 years, including my personal home, and they always sell fast. However, after living in one for the last 2 years, I hate it. Too much noise from the kitchen when you're trying to watch TV. Even with an ultra quiet dishwasher you'll still hear it in the living area. Dishes bangin in the sink, etc. Buddy of mine with a similar design feels the same way. Women however love it, which I guess is what is important.

A suggestion - With your design, keep in mind that any mess left in the kitchen will be in direct view of any guests walking from the main entry to the main living area. If you stick with the open kitchen setup then try to position your kitchen sink so that it not in direct view of guests walking from the main entry to the main living area. You would likely be able to add some walls to the open side of the kitchen (the side facing the formal dining room) to close things in a bit but still maintain both of your informal serving areas. This would help keep the kitchen noise down as well.

Cruisin'Carolina said:
Glad you have access to software, just be prepared because they all have glitches! I would only suggest extensive research into the newest technology (like for water-proofing basement walls)...

Pm me if I can be of any help, looks like a straight-forward ranch design, the angled deck or garage will be the most difficult part for me to tie-in with my software (user flaw, not software)

My Dad just finished a monster 4600 sqft creation, and didn't skrimp ANYWHERE...he's already got a long list of things that he researched. (good thing too...he's pathetic on house stuff, and a great resource for me)

Yeah, I started basement walls and exterior walls last night in the program...and as you note, doing those angles was a major PITA....spent about 2 hours last night and EARLY this morning with the tape measure too, making sure all my roughin's for furniture and such were close...so far, so good.

Thanks for the help offer, my one buddy is off work this week, we are having lunch today, and he's a CADwhore and bored at home....this'll give him something to do for a few hours...lol

archie said:
If I were rich like you :) I would plan on having a walk-in communal closet near the bedrooms containing an ironing board station,washer, dryer and shoe racks. Why shuffle clothes up and down the stairs to the basement to wash while it could be done on one floor.Don't forget the urinal in the garage (heated) so you don't have to drag your greasy feet into the house(or plant a bush near the garage :) ).

That W and D boxes just inside the garage are the Washer and Dryer....right next to the 1/2 bath, with a counter there for folding. Yeppers, planned on that.

Who's this Rich guy you speak of? my name is Brian :D

And yes, a pisser in the shop is a must...actually, I'm intending it to have full hooks for the motorhome too. (and don't comment on being rich and having a motorhome, you haven't experienced the Lemon!! lol)

I don't know if you need any questions answered but if you do try
http://www.masterhandyman.com/
He has a radio show and answers house type questions based on where you live.
How to waterproof a basement, water on the windows in winter. What heating unit etc,etc.
I listen to him in the morning and he helps alot of people with there questions coast to coast and basement to roof.
:flipoff2:

woody said:
garages faces due east, so that NW corner with the pool table could turn into a TV/Family room wall in the future and the fireplace side into a sitting/formal side.

Figger we'll be in this house for a minimum 15 years, may as well build it the way WE want.

when you design the garage take into account the prevailing winds. i know it sounds stupid but nothing worse than opening your door on a windy day and having all the heat sucked out in seconds...unless of course you live in California where it never gets cold...
in Canada this is pretty important.
i see it all the time...burrr

couple things to take into consideration also. old age and imfirmities. stairs, dropped living rooms etc can end up being the mail reason for selling your home in times when getting around is just too painful. if you plan on retiring in this home then plan for retirement. i have seen many couples HAVE to sell because of stairs etc.

just a couple of suggestions...
cheers

Glad to hear you have such good resources available to you....

Just make sure basement is waterproofed well.....insulated/heated water supply lines, stop valves in lower level level plumbing to help prevent backups.shower pans under ceramic tile almost always fail B4 their time...

Well ventilated attic and ice shields around perimeter of roof (to prevent ice-dams)....heated gutters? Steep pitch roof for preventing snow build-up (lots of attic space, too) Access to attic... Good 30-40 year shingles (stay away from 20-year three tabs IMO)...Drainage away from house on all exterior elevations, french drains...

Open floor plans do have noise drawbacks, but they are popular for good reason...make your house seem twice the size it is from a living standpoint!

good points Wayne...winds are N or W, so an east facing garage works. Also, no steps upstairs at all, even the garage will be level with the main floor....easy access for my old ass...

Shop door will face S, so no problems there....lot is tree lined on the N and W sides, and there's a hill to the N as well, so more wind protection.

Attic acces thru the garage, dropdown stairs, and lots of storage up there. We have considered a steel roof, just for something different...have to see tho...

looks nice Woody. I'm in the process of building... again. I'd suggest making the garage deeper. The home I'm in now has a garage 24 wide, 22 deep on one side and 36 on the other. I can fit my truck, runner and cruiser in there; but with tools, ladders etc, it kinda tight. I park my truck in the 22' deep side and there is just barely enough room to walk around it.
The new house is 35 deep on both sides. I went deep because I didn't want a home that looks like a shed attached to a garage. Where yours is side entry, you won't have that problem... and your home is bigger so it will be proportioned.

Other things I think are worth doing-
definately insulate the garage and door
hot water recirc line
dual headed shower
covered patio
have them seperate the water spigots outside from the rest of the system or you'll have no pressure.
Have the gravel for the basement floor poured in 2" shy of the top of the footing. When they pour the 4" slab, you'll gain 2" of ceiling height. It also saves you money on gravel. I did this and had no cracking around the edges. You can also frame in two sill plates to gain another 1 1/2" or so. If you're not doing 9' basement, every inch makes a difference.
Concrete window wells - way better than the corrugated metal.. my oipinion.

And last, because I've designed homes for years... give the home some character. It bums me out to see people invest thousands and thousands of dollars into a home with no architectural appeal.

If you need some plan ideas... you can check out the following website www.theplancollection.com. we have thousands of house plans from designers and architects all over the country.

Last edited:
garage will be insulated for sure, 3-season porch on the NW corner for crappy weather, good points on the water, and as far as space, the garage only needs to hold 2 daily drivers and 1 convertible...balance of the vehicles end up in the heated/insulated 40x60 detached shop :D

Good link on plans, will go thru those tonite and scrape up more ideas....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom