home made roof racks? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

no idea. your link is for the main page.

If you are putting it on a 60, 80, or 100 series with a metal roof, it should be OK if you distribute the moutning points accross the hood and keep the weight to a reasonable weight. But on a 40 series, the fiberglass top isn't meant for load bearing.

Those seasl should work great.

I had a conferr rack on a Cherokee I was messing with as a tota trail beater and it held up great mounted to the roof. It never leaked or had any issues. I didin't use gutter mounts because I needed to get it into the garage and it would have been an 1' too tall so the roof was the only way I could mount it.

Here is a picture of my roof rack, mounting bracets I made and a link in my sig to more plus a plan (I think)

roofrack.jpg

Molly013.jpg

I say 2-3 inches is good if your rack isn't deflecting enough to hit the roof when fully loaded. A lower mount also reduces noise and drag.

Here are a couple pictures from this thread. I like the design and wish I could figure out what type of mounting brakets were used. Any ideas?

070.jpg

078.jpg

077.jpg

Thanks

That whole rack is one-off, even the clamps. You'd have to duplicate them from scratch, or make long-distance friends with a certain fellow from Bolivia, hehe.

homemade aluminum rack

The rack for my BJ42 was the first time I ever welded aluminum. It was a little bit of a learning curve. It's light, about 78 pounds. Made of 5356 1" Al tubing.

aluminum-rack-fj40.jpg

If you're curious about it I documented the build on my personal blog at Custom Land Cruiser Roof Rack Build (Part 2) | Rufus The Doofus, Custom Land Cruiser Roof Rack Build (Part 3) | Rufus The Doofus, Custom Land Cruiser Roof Rack Build (Part 4) | Rufus The Doofus, Only One More Day, Maybe | Rufus The Doofus.

And sometimes you have no choice but to go custom. I wanted the rack to reflect the grille somewhat as well. My rack has 4 gutter mounts, but if I re-did it, I would use rails to distribute the weight more evenly. I've not had any problems yet, but I have carried alot of weight up there, and I think it would be better to spread the load.

Cheers,

Josh
Santa Fe snow front.jpg
Copy of IMG_4766.jpg

There are a lot of great ideas for racks out there ...I am in the process of making a rack for my 2000 discovery ..I was lucky enough to find one with the factory roof rail extensions on it so i am going to use 1x1 stainless cross bars (3 of them) , then use a trifold aluminum ATV ramp for the platform ..I dont plan on hauling anything too heavy I am going to throw the spare tire up there then make a bracket for the hi-lift jack where the tire was mounted on the back door ...The cross bars weigh 13 lbs each and the aluminum ramp weighs 27 lbs ...I used some aluminum channel on a old conn-ferr rack on the 96 and there was a lot of flex in the channel ...

Mickldo, can you post some picks of that rack, close ups of the rail?

Thanks, eh.

I ended up going with a rack without side rails to accommodate the RRT and awning. It's 1 1/4 tube. I had a local guy do the four corner bends and I welded it together. One of the additional requirements was that the truck still fit in my garage with the RR on. I'm currently working on doing some upgrades to the RR and will post up when added.

Good luck.
CPC_0004.jpg
Moab 2010 016.jpg

Just finished my roof rack. File it under basic design. Used gutter mounts from tallowpot.com Don't have any great off road pictures yet. Just parked in front of my house. Maybe next weekend...
559_0883.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom