home made roof racks? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

catches low hanging limbs and sweeps it over the rack instead of catching rack and tearing up gutters?

What is the purpose of the little cables going from the roof rack to the front bumper? I see them often but can't think of a reason to have them.

limb lines. they lift branches and stuff over the rack.

Some may have seen this over at the 120 section, but just in case...

This is designed to fit between my existing roof rails on my 4Runner TE. The lights are Ridgid SR 10", and I figured 2 -4 gallon Rotopax. I have a shovel on my trailer already, so I may get another ARB 8' canopy for that side. There is also enough room figured in front of the Rotopax, to fit a set of Maxtrax

The steel is 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" 16#......I expect to start very soon,

As always any comments are welcome :beer:
rack2.jpg
rack3.jpg
RR4.jpg

What is the purpose of the little cables going from the roof rack to the front bumper? I see them often but can't think of a reason to have them.
Limb risers. They lift tree branches up and over so they don't get caught.

Some may have seen this over at the 120 section, but just in case...

This is designed to fit between my existing roof rails on my 4Runner TE. The lights are Ridgid SR 10", and I figured 2 -4 gallon Rotopax. I have a shovel on my trailer already, so I may get another ARB 8' canopy for that side. There is also enough room figured in front of the Rotopax, to fit a set of Maxtrax

The steel is 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" 16#......I expect to start very soon,

As always any comments are welcome :beer:

I'm not a fan of keeping the spare on the roof. I used to keep mine up there, until I had to change it.....twice. Waaay to hard to get that heavy tire up and down off of the roof.

Now that I think about it I'm not in love with having it on the rear bumper either, just one more thing to move out of the way every time I want to get into the back. Rear bumper mounting the tire seems like the lesser of two evils.

I'm not a fan of keeping the spare on the roof. I used to keep mine up there, until I had to change it.....twice. Waaay to hard to get that heavy tire up and down off of the roof.

Now that I think about it I'm not in love with having it on the rear bumper either, just one more thing to move out of the way every time I want to get into the back. Rear bumper mounting the tire seems like the lesser of two evils.

Good points,

This was train of thought...there are some nice rear bumpers with tire carriers finally coming out, but I get in the rear of my truck 250-300 times a year.....and go on, or load my RR maybe 10-12.

:beer:

So with a head full of ideas and a ton of inspiration from this thread and fellow MUD members, I came up with these for gutter mounts. Gathering the rest of the metal needed to finish my roof rack. I'll do my best to keep a proper build thread.
image-1457372815.jpg

Toojayzee, if you're serious when I get some more material (should be very soon) I'll get in touch and see what I can do.

Did a test fit of the gutter mounts and trying to figure the crossbar length I want. I'll be going with a 48" crossbar with 1" tube outside of that to make up the basket portion. So far so good. Waiting on materials to arrive so I can finish this thing up.
Roof rack 1.jpg
Roof rack 3.jpg

i'd love to steal your design for my rack if thats ok with you. what are you using to do the bends? how thick a material are you using? looks like 3/16"? I'm picking up a press break next week to start the process.

Jdogg, I can't stop you if you're to copy my design as I don't have a patent on the design. It's a combo of other designs I've seen and what I thought would work. The material is 7ga-3/16 bent using a 40ton CNC press and cut with a 5 axis laser. Good luck with your build.

nice beefy mounts..

I like ur gutter mount design Workingclass.

Simple and clean, good job:cheers:

Keep us posted on ur RR build.

Thank you sir. I tried to keep it simple and as usual for me maybe a bit over built...we'll see.

nice beefy mounts..

Yea, I have a tendency to over engineer things. If stout is good then beefy should just about do it :p

Workingclass, That is a nice looking clamp. I'm new to roof clamps, so explain alittle. The channel is threaded to let the allen head bolt pull up tight, against the gutter. Is that right. Did you use stainless or ?

Thanks, Ron

You are correct sir. Its a stainless allen head that draws the clamp up tight against the bottom of the gutter.

Its just such a great design !
did you just drill and tap the channel or weld a nut to the inside? looks like heat marks from welding on the last pic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom