Hen’s tooth build thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings everyone!

Some of you may have seen my other post over in the 40- / 55-Series Tech forum; I failed to realize there was a distinguished group of awesome individuals already here in the FJ55 Iron Pig Preservation Society! My name is JM, or John, and I recently became the proud owner of a 1974 FJ55 that is pretty close to original. It has the original late-model F engine (1.5) and the 3-speed, but has a couple of mods such as a 3” lift kit, pertronix ignition with flamethrower coil, and some mean sounding headers… she’s actually in great mechanical and physical shape, but is missing a bunch of trim and needs some body work to repair some rust + paint job. Im still learning!!!.. but when I get into a hobby I tend to geek out and dig myself into a rabbit hole real quick. So forgive me if I start talking in tongues and your eyes start to glaze over (kind of used to it anyways…).

I’ve decided to start my own build thread to document my progress with my FJ55 who I’ll be naming Hen’s tooth, shouldn’t have to explain that name…

If you’re interested in reading a little story about me and how I came to acquire the pig you can check out my other thread here: New FJ55 Owner.

I’m a normal dude that works a crappy desk job with pretty much a minimal set of skills when it comes to working on old cars. But its always been a dream of mine to own a pig, so here I am today. I know I’ve got a decent head start, just call it a handicap, considering the pig is in pretty good condition and isn’t missing much, but I know I still have plenty of work cut out for me knowing how much of a perfectionist I am… maybe not as big of a perfectionist as some other folks on here though (some of the build threads I have seen are amazing).

For now though Ill kick off this thread with photos of the body and some of the rust that was spotted as I did a walk around, one of my initial goals is to start going at the rust and trying to see how bad it truly is then go from there.

My current backlog:
  1. Registration ←
  2. 60mi (96.5km) drive to home base
  3. Stripping her down
  4. Rust repair
That’s definitely a high level look at where I am at.
I ordered a ton of parts , including new headliner and seals. So I’ll update the thread with some pictures of the parts and the inevitable gear acquisition syndrome haul as I get them. But for now here’s a photo dump of the rusty bits…

Rust

FIWln2s.jpg

d5IbkrZ.jpg

CyKsaGe.jpg

0eVCjen.jpg

Ktf10hG.jpg

eOf8ult.jpg

qwAbBq3.jpg

MNvI3gu.jpg

HlF0lA0.jpg

bebnFrH.jpg

ivnNUlb.jpg

Kjx1kxr.jpg

vWVmwFx.jpg

qENFywC.jpg

X89fTT2.jpg

IMG_2662.jpg

Original colors were red and white from factory, then it was apparently painted yellow, and now it is mango green.

I’ll try to snap some pictures of the engine plate.

Here are some photos of the engine bay:

ymBH7to.jpg

GNvHcSx.jpg

5u1uGYA.jpg

vWVmwFx.jpg

jnOxSda.jpg

oJqqWm2.jpg

FFzVdoW.jpg

ch9flGI.jpg

ECXWYk1.jpg

YC1aJbc.jpg

I don’t know what this particular inlet on the air cleaner goes to, so I 3D printed this cap out of TPU to plug it since it was previously plugged with some electrical tape.

XnvOrif.jpg

Looks Great , Try not to get caught up in the make it like New Stock , Make it a driver , You"ll Love Driving it ! Welcome to the Pig Sty

Looks Great , Try not to get caught up in the make it like New Stock , Make it a driver , You"ll Love Driving it ! Welcome to the Pig Sty
Just focused on preserving it as much as possible body wise, and mostly to make it a little more comfortable to drive.

Plan to do some sound dampening, bought missing seals and plan to do the window felts myself. After that its new tires and start enjoying it.

Get rid of da ****ING Green 🤢🤮. Blue or Red gets you hooked up wit da Cool 😎 Dudes 😢🤔🐷😘🤣🤣🤣🤣
the baby poop green is kind of growing on me lol…it’s originally a vw color for the bus. If i keep the color i won’t have to do the door jambs though 🤔… still haven’t decided
And dont be thin Skinned 🤔😘😉. We are a Bunch of 💩 stirrers 🤣🤣🤣🤣
Bring it on , I’m one for tough love . Don’t hold your feelings back here :grinpimp:

Interior photos
3vVs9tx.jpg

0mTbJsD.jpg

Goama6L.jpg

0CLcvp2.jpg

XhRrvv8.jpg

z7AQTzj.jpg

qjNvB18.jpg

vEHIpCd.jpg

ywwpgyU.jpg

XqG8LRS.jpg

8Hi5zYo.jpg

One of my first major absolutely essential fixes and accomplishments/milestones in my life and existence on this planet was the shift knob and the shift boot which were pretty worn off. I'd like to thank my family for the support and for believing in me-- ahem...anyways... I think I screwed up with the boot

LC6ZVHP.jpg

The shift boot that was on this thing is weird. It consists of a retaining ring and some old worn rubber boot.
pKoazpe.jpg

The only pictures I can find of 1974 FJ55’s interiors seem to show it was something like a leather boot with the metal retaining ring. Looking at the old boot, it looks like the screw holes were drilled out, so it seems DIY.
Screenshot 2024-04-24 at 10.35.21 PM.png

I bought the wrong 4-speed boot because like a dumbass I assumed it was the same bolt pattern, but found out the hard way…

rtmx2m5.jpg

I tried to model out and 3d print a sort of retainer ring, but even the smallest part of this boot is too big for the bolt pattern.

96KzQZM.jpg

pP0XlPe.jpg

Anyone know what kind of boot this thing takes?

Most of the aftermarket boots look like the rubber one you have.

Looks good especially the interior. The two paint jobs and the bubbling is cause for concern. The headliner looks like it may have been wet at some point. It's your hog do what you do with it.
Welcome to the Pig Pen.

Posting here for visibility

Does anyone actually know what components the headliner assembly comprises of?

It's looking like I need these components:

1713843289629.png

• Bows x8
  • Garnish Rear x2
  • Garnish Front x2
  • Washer (0201-06538 ) x2
  • Garnish bolts (probably 3 each, so...) x12
But what's SUPER confusing is the fact that SOR's website shows another part # 113-101
U HEADLNR CLIP
Fits 1968-7/80 FJ55 USED

1713843955760.png

(oh and the fact that SOR doesn't even mention garnishes or washers also adds to the mystery)

I don't think I've ever even seen this piece, I am about to order it just to see what the heck it is..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom