Gas in the diesel tank… (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Picked up an FJ60 with a (mostly complete) 3B swap, but PO ran a gas/diesel mixture in the tank until it stopped running. How F'd is the motor?

I imagine first steps are:
  • Replace fuel filter
  • Drain all gas
  • Add diesel
  • Prime it

What else should I be looking for, or doing, before attempting to start it?

Last edited:
At this point, do all the things you listed. It can't hurt it anymore than it is or may be.

Running a diesel on gas, or a gas/diesel mixture can have very bad results.

See what happens and report the results.

You will be fine, just drain and replace with diesel. The old mechanical style pumps like you have won't be hurt by the gas the reason the run rough and quit is gas is thinner than diesel the pump can hardly pump it.

^^^ Just to add to what he said crack all the fuel injector lines and pump all contaminated fuel out of the lines.

Awesome, thanks for all the input, everyone! Worked overnight and slept all day, so no time to work on it today, but hopefully tomorrow will get started. If I can get the engine to turn over by the weekend, I'll be a really happy dude.

Well, drained the tank, replaced it with diesel, primed it, tried to start it up, no go. Repeat about 12x. Eventually got it to fire up, but it sounded awful. Found that the PO had not clamped any of the fuel lines in the engine bay. Bought some clamps, bled the fuel lines, primed like a madman, and it started up with a much healthier idle. Still died a few times, had some rough spots, but after running it for a while, i think all the air is now out of the lines, and it sounds great.

Tried to start it up again next day, no dice. Primed the injector pump a few times, and eventually it started up and sounded good.

One thing I noticed, the primer is spewing a little bit of fuel out of the top when pumping. Is this normal? Should I replace or rebuild?

If the hand pump leaks diesel, it probably leaks air too. Bosch 2 447 222 126 is a direct replacement part.
Nice to hear it runs however. :clap:
That was my thought as well. I've got the Bosch pump laying around the garage somewhere. Will replace it tonight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom