Builds FJ80 2UZFE Tundra V8 Conversion pics and build (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Don't worry about the auto; it can be made to handle just about anything you need. Check out Level-10 or IPT for valve body upgrades.

Very cool swap.
bkg

oh yeah I love it , keep us posted

100s were availible overseas with solid axles and 1FZs? I never knew.

105 series. Available in many parts of the world. Also available with a couple of different diseasel engines. OZ, Europe, South Africa, and the Middle Eastern countries... probably a lot of others.

-B-

I would imagine the price difference arises from the fact that the Tundra motors are built in the USA and the 100-series motors are build in Japan. The latter are generally considered to be tighter and better put together, while the Tundra motors are a little sloppier. That is just what I've read here on the forum, so take it for what it's worth, but it makes sense to me.

Ary
Grreeeat, I may have well used a chebby or ferd engine then huh?!:rolleyes: I didnt realize there were assembley diffs.

Don't worry about the auto; it can be made to handle just about anything you need. Check out Level-10 or IPT for valve body upgrades.

Very cool swap.
bkg

Yes I have heard good things about Toyotas juice boxes (auto trannys) I may check into the upgrades after I add performance parts to the 4.7.

thanks for the compliment!

oh yeah I love it , keep us posted

thanks !

Are there any readily available manual trannys that will bolt up to the 2UZ, like tacoma six speed? Would it merely be a bell housing adapter issue?

I am not well versed on the Tundra manual transmissions at all. maybe someone will chime in here with some heads up, I am hoping my adapter will bolt up to the rear of a manual tundra transmission as well. for now I will use the auto (they grow on you after 4 wheeling with both)

I wil be adding pictures of the new motor mounts and the steering box spacer this weekend, and a picture of my wiring harness which I have named the "Octopus" ;) all in all this is actually pretty easy (wiring) just ALOT of reading and labeling all of the plugs before I begin to remove non need systems that I wont be using.

I will post a new thread about the AC system (questions on building the hybrid system- R12 fj 80 dash parts to the newer tundra R134a?!) hopefully someone will be able to clear some things up for me who is well versed in AC systems.

This picture shows how much weight will be moved to the rear of the 80, the straight 6 was about 14" out over the front axle and the newer V8 is only about 3"! , which will make for better handling I am guessing along the same principal of mid engined cars, less over steer.
100_0561.5.jpg

Last edited:
I am not well versed on the Tundra manual transmissions at all. maybe someone will chime in here with some heads up, I am hoping my adapter will bolt up to the rear of a manual tundra transmission as well. for now I will use the auto (they grow on you after 4 wheeling with both)

me either obviously :confused: ....

This is the top veiw to show how well it fits between the shock mounts. I am welding the motor mounts to the frame this weekend so it will be there for good.

I was able to tuck this in quite well in between everything. There are some issues that one would expect when putting a V8 into a place where a LOOOONG straight six resided one of which is the firewall is moulded for the narrow shape of the 6 cylinder so the spread out heads/valve covers of the 8 cylinder look a bit out of place but not too bad (the fire wall isnt shaped around the wider engine) but with that said it tucking it up against the firewall does hide the fact it was made for a 6 not an 8.

here are some things I have encountered and worked with or around

1. placement, front to back - side to side (yes you think your 6 sits in the middle wouldnt you?!) - it doesnt it sits to the drivers side about 24 mm. for transfercase/driveshaft alignment I am sure more than any other reason, my range rover (dont stone me!!) has the same amount of offset to the driverside as well.

The LT230 is offset about another inch than the FJ80 T/C so needing the most clearance I can get get I opted to shift the v8 as far to the drivers side (left) as I could get away with (not much about 20mm) thats where the steering box spacer is needed (12 mm) which wont be any issue at all it can be adjusted out of the tie rod ends to make up the difference

2. A/C lines- the end going into the compresser will not clear the steering box the line has a "muffler" (for lack of a better word at this time) and I had to use a different fitting (same type different configuration) off of a 4runner welded to the "muffler" to make a hybrid line end. as well as lengthen the rubber portion to fit around the engine compartment to the 80s hard line.

3. engine/mounts- the factory mounts from the block (2uzfe) were way to wide and were not even close to the 80s frame width so I took those and made a set of prototypes to move the engine down into the frame (will add pics this weekend of the OEM mounts and the new ones) and the mounts on the frame of course had to be removed (3fe and 2uzfe are not even close to one another in proximity on the frame)

4. of course tranfer case to mate to the a340 transmission (lt230) via adapter (pics of that a bit later!!)

5. cooling- the factory radiator is more than enough to cool the V8, I may upgrade to the later better model (93-94 fzj?) to maximize cooling. and the hoses are in the same place beleive it or not so that eliminates some headaches. A fan shroud is all that i wll ahve to fab up- I will check into different OEM Toyota ones first.

6. Power steering- again hoses are routed the same no mods but maybe the ends (havent mated them yet, suspect they may work)

7. OIL pan- the tundra has a front sump set up and it doesnt clear the front axle on the 80 as much as it could, so after doing some homework at the local dealer and crawling under a 100 series I realized they used different pans altogether (for more off camber situations in a Landcruiser?!)
https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=127426&highlight=oil+pan
so I am going to have to get a sump from a 100 series and the oil pan as well as the lower part of the block that the oil pan bolts to, it comes off and is needed to bolt the other sump up and oil pan to the block)

8. wiring......... need I say more. I nicknamed the wiring harness Octopus for a reason! I am taking notes as I go for anyone who does this in the future and making schematics for the changes, you should see the people faces at kinkos when I ask them to blow up a pic of a plug from the manual so I can label all the pins.
100_0565.5.jpg

i like that alot, cant wait to see more

How soon will you be able to start mass-producing these things?

I love this Build.

You have motivated me to do this to my 60. When the time comes, that is. For now it needs alot of restorative work.

When i do put the V8 in I want to keep it Manual, are you having any luck with your hunt for a reasonable tranny to stick in there?

"a340 transmission" Oh, I didn't see that.

Last edited:
How soon will you be able to start mass-producing these things?

I will be making a "kit", I will have the motor mounts(pics tommorow of the new mounts for the block), the wiring schematics and the T-case adapter for sale together or seperately.

i like that alot, cant wait to see more

thanks!

Awesome project - can't wait to see it tomorrow! :bounce:

Nice to meet you William! thanks for the Scion stereo it will work nice in either the 91 or the 94, I look forward to Flatnasty on the tenth!!

I love this Build.

Thanks!

You have motivated me to do this to my 60. When the time comes, that is. For now it needs alot of restorative work.

When i do put the V8 in I want to keep it Manual, are you having any luck with your hunt for a reasonable tranny to stick in there?

"a340 transmission" Oh, I didn't see that.

if you do the Tundra engine and can get the 100 series you will avoid having to make any adapters for the Tcase, the draw back is that you will have fulltime 4WD- or you can use the Orion case with a custom adapter... or an LT230;)

"A340E" the 2wd version.

dumb question... How are you adapting the LT-230 to the auto, is there a readily available adapter or custom?

No adapter on the market...... yet. I have applied for my patent # on this adapter and I am having an adapter drawn up to use the Orion case with the Tundra trannys, (A340E,A340F)

I should be finished with this in maybe 3-4 months.

I have picked up a 94 FZJ to begin to strip down when I get a chance to make room for the new Tundra 5.7 liter

I am searching the NHTSA crash test vehicles for a 07 V8 Tundra (they sell them for parts cars after testing) in particular a rollover/side impact.

More pics tommorow- custom engine mounts, lockout hubs, inner fenders/fenders/grill/core support on for clearance check (pics) and snorkel on (setting up the mass airflow, and air cleaner ductwork)

I hope you guys are warmer where you are at!!! its like minus fricken cold outside and about 35 with the heat on in my shop.

I want to weld something just to stay warm and not just for fun this time!!!;)

Last edited:
New motormount pics/Tundra wiring harness pics

Here are the motor mounts the factory one is of course on the left and the new one on the right.
The factory mount set the engine down and were about 4" too wide on each side of the engine block to fit between the frame rails.

middle pic-both the factory mounts (left/right) both my mounts (L/R)
So the new mounts address the width/height issue, these mounts in the pic took quite a few attempts before getting everything to clear (exhaust/exhaust sheilds/wiring/frame)

And here is a pic of the entire Tundra extra cab wiring harness.......
MTRMNTS.jpg
mtrmnt2.jpg
wiring.jpg

Last edited:
Pictures of the engine compartment with inner fenders/fenders/core support on

first pic is a side veiw showing the nice fit and the second pic is where I mentioned earlier about the difference in the firewall being setup for an I-6 and not an V-8, not too big of a deal - definately nothing to worry about or change.
engcomp.jpg
engcomp2.jpg

Nice job on the center caps. Very clean work!

Keep the pictures coming!

thanks for noticing!!

they took some time to sand out (the pics make them look real dirty) to the right fit for the hub, I polished the lockouts ring (aluminum polishs to a chrome/mirror finish) but I used the wrong center cap paint (it looked close on the can!) I couldnt find the nissan # that everyone uses so I improvised:mad: oh well another light sanding then new coat of color then clear.

Looking great.... I can't wait to see this in its completed stage.

I used the wrong center cap paint (it looked close on the can!) I couldnt find the nissan # that everyone uses so I improvised:mad: oh well another light sanding then new coat of color then clear.

Let me know when you find the right color and are ready to paint - I'll bring mine over and join you! Maybe put it on the agenda for the first group meeting.:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom