Builds FJ80 2UZFE Tundra V8 Conversion pics and build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Two questions.

1. Does the 80 have factory lockers? If not, are you going to install them?

2. Why yellow on the firewall of a red truck? Are you a closet fireman? Do we have a flame job to look forward to?

Regardless, this will be a fastenating build. I'm sure there will me more of us doing them.

Good luck, and keep them pics coming.

DTaylor

I doubt it has factory lockers, it's a 92. I don't believe it was even an option.

Cool Build, what suspension are you running? what was the weight difference in engines? did you have to get a softer spring for the lighter engine?

Now all you need to top that off is a TRD supercharger!!:bounce:

Kudos on the build and pics, look forward to seeing some 2 wheel drive burnouts!!:doh:

how are you wiring all of this together? are you using the FJ80s gauges?

V8 80

Looks good, I stuffed a 6,5liter GM diesel in my 94 80 series, had to lower the shockmount for the turbo and there was no extra space left in the enginebay. Have fun on this project.

did you buy an new ome suspension? it looks like stock in the early photos switching over in the later ones.

Very nice job. Mad props for taking that swap on and actually doing it. Keep us posted with more pics as well. GREAT JOB!!!:cheers:

You going to have this in before the NEW 5.7 Tundra comes out and you have to source one of those 381 horsepower monsters for your fj80?

Last edited:
Two questions.

2. Why yellow on the firewall of a red truck? Are you a closet fireman? Do we have a flame job to look forward to?

Regardless, this will be a fastenating build. I'm sure there will me more of us doing them.

DTaylor
Look at his avtar....He must be a YELLOW fanatic!! :banana: :banana: :banana:

I can't wait to see the wiring. You are a brave man.

Wiring?!! I just completed the labeling and tracing of all the wires in the Tundra harness:eek: BIG fun! with that said I am not doing some hokey conversion that will have electrical tape draping over things here end there or exposed shorting wires. I plan on having ALL the gauges funtional Temp., Tach, oil temp, oil press. etc. and when its 100 degrees out it wil be nice to have a functioning A.C. system.

not a particularly fun task but not brain surgery- every wire has a function/color code and Mr. T has a very thorough wiring diagram with detailed schematics and explantions.

Two questions.

DTaylor

no factory lockers but contemplating Air lockers for it, I know the coolness factor of the OEM set up but either way yes it will get locked FR/RR

the yellow will be one of a few colors I will be painting this, almost a ground up restore (its solid and needs no rust work so just new interior and paint to make it freshened up a bit) and after the frame mounts are fabbed for the engine and crossmember off to the sandblaster booth to get blasted and primed/painted

did you buy an new ome suspension? it looks like stock in the early photos switching over in the later ones.

used, I need the larger suspension for a temporary mock up with new engine. I will be going to Slees 6" and 2nd Gen arms (I will be running 37s, see explanation later) so this one will be for sale (OME 850-863s and OMEmatching shocks,3.)

Last edited:
I think you will really like it. I have been wanting to do this conversion for a long time. Did you look into an adapter for the tundra tranny to the LC transfercase?

No I didnt (I beleive the 100 series tranny/trans would have the correct outputs to swap one right out of a 100 to an 80 to save some time)

I wanted to go a different route, The LT230 has a high range reduction of 1.2 to 1 as well an available 4 to 1 low range. and it can also be converted to part time operation (2wd-4wd)which is the direction I am going (Look for the Toyota lockouts in the pics coming up) The LT230 is a tough gearbox (rover did something right?!:doh: )

A few of the aussie guys have mentioned they can also be modified to run just the front (selectable) if you wanted (for front burns as they called it, some find this to be an adavantge off road, and it is from what I see in comp. rigs doing this) just an added bonus!!

the high range reduction will allow me to run (correct me if my math is off here!?) a roughly 20 % larger diameter tire- right about 6 inches which puts me at 37 WITHOUT running lower gears and keeping the strength of the higher (4.10) FR/RR gear ratio.

Last edited:
If you go for a full axle swap in the rear with a factory locker you will also get the full foater axle. Might be worthwhile.

Cool build

If you go for a full axle swap in the rear with a factory locker you will also get the full foater axle. Might be worthwhile.

Cool build

Yeah thats exactlly what I am/was going to do, I will see what is avail. cost wise when I get to that point. I do want the full floater for the strength and the disc brakes upgrade as well.

extremetoy1- what are you going to use for a tranny?

If you can swing it, the 5-speed tranny from the '04+ UZJ's is SUPER smooth. My dad has one and it's a dream to drive. Something to consider anyway.

I dream of one day doing what you're doing to an 80. I want to do an '04+ UZJ motor/tranny to a LT-230. Having driven both my 80 and my dad's 100 extensively, I honestly think the 80 handles better in high speed maneuvers. The 100 just feels "squishy" and disconnected from the road to me. Who knows, maybe I'll be rich by the time I have both the time and money to do what I want and I can just put an 80 suspension under a 100. :D

Ary

The 80 and 100 series use the A343F tranny it is a stronger variant of the A340F used in the Tundra.

Ryan.

I will be using a A340E 2WD Tundra transmission the A340F is the 4WD version (same but different?) (A340F is what the 100 series V8 uses too I beleive)

If you can swing it, the 5-speed tranny from the '04+ UZJ's is SUPER smooth. My dad has one and it's a dream to drive. Something to consider anyway.

I dream of one day doing what you're doing to an 80. I want to do an '04+ UZJ motor/tranny to a LT-230. Having driven both my 80 and my dad's 100 extensively, I honestly think the 80 handles better in high speed maneuvers. The 100 just feels "squishy" and disconnected from the road to me. Who knows, maybe I'll be rich by the time I have both the time and money to do what I want and I can just put an 80 suspension under a 100. :D

Ary

The 2UZFE is coming of age and readily availaible in salvage yards, the price difference I encountered while shopping for the same engine out of 2 different vehicles (tundra VS UZJ100) was quite different. thats why I began looking at different transfer case swaps knowing I would end up using a tundra drivetrain(in the end I end up with a better deal altogether, the LT 230 has ALOT of features I look for in a transfer case) and I needed to find one that would work with the FR/RR offset diffs. too

save yourself some time and just import a 100 series with the solid axle and 1FZFE;) , I would opt for that supercharged over my tundra swap, time is money!!!

The 80 and 100 series use the A343F tranny it is a stronger variant of the A340F used in the Tundra.

Ryan.

Thanks, (thats why I said I BELIEVE, I wasnt real sure) I would like to know what the differences are in the trannys that make one stronger than the other-

The weight of the tundra is 4518 which is very close to an fj80s weight of 4760, I am not well versed on the Toyota Autos so ANY info I can get about these autos would be great if any of you have any websites or literature post up!! THX

I would imagine the price difference arises from the fact that the Tundra motors are built in the USA and the 100-series motors are build in Japan. The latter are generally considered to be tighter and better put together, while the Tundra motors are a little sloppier. That is just what I've read here on the forum, so take it for what it's worth, but it makes sense to me.

Ary

100s were availible overseas with solid axles and 1FZs? I never knew.

Are there any readily available manual trannys that will bolt up to the 2UZ, like tacamoa six speed? Would it merely be a bell housing adapter issue?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom