Diesel Transplanted 80 series Registry (11 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Got the reply today

We are in the process of fitting a Duramax to a 105 series LandCruiser. We were unable to use the Allison 1000 transmission as the front tail shaft would not clear the transmission so we have had to use the 6L80E GM transmission.

At this stage it looks as though we will not be releasing a kit for this conversion as the cost of converting the vehicle has reached almost double that of the same conversion for the Patrol.

so much for that idea

1. 1997.
2. 6BT from a 97 Dodge/rebuilt NV4500 from a Dodge 4x4/60 series slit case.
4. Needed 4" lift plus 1" body lift to fit everything correctly.
5. Intercooler/dual battery/grid heater/short throw shifter/twin sticks for TC
6. Will update after I pick it up.
7. HWY 18-21 cruising at 65. Normal driving TBD.
8. Josesy's Offroad did the swap, I'm sure it wasn't easy.
10. Build thread in sig

Last edited:
Hi everyone. Im looking for help with my current project. I have an 87 hj61 with a 12Ht auto. I recently picked up a 92 80 series with no motor And two 442 autos with cases. My plan is to use my 12ht motor and an h55f in the 80 series. I have not started the project yet but will be by summers end. My first question is how to address motor mounts. I can weld and have a machine shop so making things is not Impossible. Any input would be greatly appreciated. My main reason for this swap is to have a good road trip setup. My hj 61 has been awesome but with a huge lift and spring over and right hand drive its not a real hit with the wife.
Thanks

Search here and see who has done what. You might want to sound dampen while you are at it but you already are used to a certain noise level. I would go with an OEM clutch pedal bucket, I fabricated one and it took too long. The split case takes up room a little sooner in the frame where it is narrower depending on where you mount stuff up and the shifter might end up in the dash if you don't plan it out right...

I have couple of question
How would you turn off an diesel engine after you swapped it in the LC? (because there are no spark plugs or any Elec components)
Does having glow plugs required (for 6.5 Chevy)?

You have to stuff a large object into the intake when you want to shut it off.

OK, most old-school diesels have a 1-wire run feature which allows fuel to travel to the injectors. Some engines have a control system for pollution control and easier starting involving glow plugs or intake screens. Do some reading on diesels and you will find lots of info.

1. 1997 Lexus LX450

2. 1987 Isuzu 4BD1T out of an NPR, A440f out of a 91-92 FJ80, custom adapter lower stall converter.

3. Overall it went very smoothly, lots of research and people before me made it easy.

4. The adapter took much longer than planned and delayed the swap by about 4 months.

5. Slee 4" lift, could have used 2.5" OME with a bit of work.

6. Have only driven it shortly around my area nothing over 40kms/hr so far but feels good.

7. TBD

8. If you have a welder and some mechanical ability. **1/2

9. Pic

10..https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/isuzu-4bd1t-lexus-lx450-land-cruiser-build.702121/

...via IH8MUD app

Great job on the 80 series Isuzu 4BD1T conversion! From the pictures it looks like a good fit--not nearly as tight as it was for my 6.2/6.5 conversion. Like you, I stayed with a A440F transmission, which made the conversion much easier.

Sorry to hear that the Duramax conversion into an 80 series isn't working out as well.

I have had a couple of questions recently about wiring, so I thought I would post a couple of diagrams for viewers considering a 6.2L or 6.5L conversion. Due to the turbo and the length of the motor, I had to switch over to electric fans and I devised a couple of different options depending on how much override you want (some like automatic functionality, but also want to turn them on or off depending on conditions).

One of the things to consider is the electrical loads different configurations place on the original system. I was careful not to overload the ignition system by using appropriate fuses and relays.

Good luck everyone...

Attachments

• 91_gm_diesel_rewiring.pdf
    735.8 KB · Views: 222
  • diesel_alternator_options.pdf
    415.8 KB · Views: 342
  • electric_fan_options.pdf
    835.9 KB · Views: 270
-1996 fzj80 230k
-1987 4bt VE pump I had it in a jeep cj7 for a few years and wanted more room. Hx30 custom exhaust manifold 3" exhaust, intercooler and injectors need fuel pin but have 3200gov spring
used dustins (dieseladapters.com) adapter plate cummins b-series to toyota
-Stock when I started factory lockers A343F with TransGo shift kit 10" coilovers with swap and 1 3/8" body lift at the same time goal is 2.5 suspension lift
-I Still have not touched rear end need a few inches
-I like where the turbo ended up seperared hoses and fluids from the high heat for the most part but on the flip side the driver (left) is crowded and tight
-My buddy is getting 23 out of his 94 dodge 3/4 ton 4x4 4bt. But I will be happy with 20. TBD
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1410583979.163510.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1410583999.328198.jpg

Need to get some better pics of the engine.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I searched and didn't really find anything on here about putting an VW 1.9 tdi diesel into an 80 or even a 60. I have been planning a diesel for a while now and somehow came across VW 1.9 turbo diesel. I know it must seem like I'm high but I'm not. Originally I was thinking of a 1kz-te with the 2lt/1kz hybrid mechanical pump for ease of installation, independence from excessive electronics and reliability. The downside is that they're hard to come by for a decent price. And even then You have to mod them to make as much torque as the 1fz-fe. I don't really want a cummins, for the most part I've had good experiences with them, just don't like the excessive noise and vibration or the cost for parts. That and they're not exactly easy to find cheap with the way the cummins crowd is growing. Anyway, I did some searching and found a plethora of VW 1.9 engines from 98-2006 and they're all pretty cheap >$800<$2600. Parts are fairly cheap for the ALH engines and the performance mods necessary to pull 300 lb-ft of torque ring in at <$3500. There are countless threads on performance mods and fuel mileage etc.. Some of these guys drive their VWs with 200hp and over 300 lb-ft torque around as commuters and they report low 40- mid 50's mpgs for fuel economy. I figure high 20's or low 30's wouldn't be out of the question with this engine in a cruiser. That and there are adapters for the 1.8 and 1.9 to toyota transmissions. Albeit most are 4cyl transmissions. I'm sure you could get one for a beefier 5spd and transfer case combo...maybe a H55 and dual cases. Anyway. It seems just as viable as far as money than a cummins and parts would be easier to come by than a toyota. What do you guys think? I was just hoping someone had heard of this or has experience with it.

LandCruisinMy93 for the money your going to spend on a VW diesel and the up grades you could probably get a good running Cummings. and there are adapters already made for the Cummings, I have never heard of an adapter for a VW to a LC transmission. So your talking custom build and more money, as for MPG's I guessing 20ish if you lucky at 6000 lb and twice the height of a VW I don't see a 1.9 getting 30 MPG Toyota uses a 4.5L for a reason people install larger diesels for a reason. I would suck to spend a bunch of money and be disappointed in the end result. Just my 2 cents. Good luck with what ever you decide

Put 3000 pounds of weight in the TDI donor rig before you do the swap and practice real-world driving like pulling out in front of a Semi-Truck on the freeway.
Keep us posted..

I recall seeing a 300sd Mercedes om617 5 cylinder In an fj80. A google search showed many hits but didn't read through the details.

Hi everyone
I have been building up an 80 series diesel swap ( slowly). Anyways I have to say this site was a key part in making it happen. I would like to post a picture of the H55f sticking out from under the tranny hump.
I know it was not an ideal swap but it had to fit. And it did with some cutting and a bit of BFH work. It also required some fabrication of cross member mounts. It isn't a purdy swap but it's not for show.
I used the same H55f mount idea as a fellow mudder did. Anyways enough talk here are some pictures of the down and dirty. And yes I did clean it up and seam seal the welds and sprayed it with paint and bed liner.
Didn't help much for looks but will stop the rust.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1415838149.337855.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1415838180.321063.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1415838221.907456.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1415838241.476038.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1415838261.094428.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1415838298.064319.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1415838433.875693.jpg

I still have lots of work ahead and will add more pictures in the future.
This build is a way to keep some of my Hj61 alive but have somthing more family friendly. Also I would like to thank Stone for answering my many questions. Big help!!!

Last edited:
I recall seeing a 300sd Mercedes om617 5 cylinder In an fj80. A google search showed many hits but didn't read through the details.
I've done that... but my build thread is pretty ramshackle!

1. 1992 FJ80
2. OM617 to R151f; '85 4runner locking hubs for Part time 4wd
3. The motor and transmission work quite well together, lots of room in the engine bay, didn't change gearing. Power steering routed perfectly.
4. All the little stuff was the hardest. Since the R151f is a centered driveline, I put a 4runner fuel tank in the AUX fuel tank position, and plan to fit another tank in the smaller space left from the original main. Lots of massaging to fit and custom metal fabrication.
5. Upgraded front brakes to larger 1995 style, Aisin locking hubs, FJ60 (Yup, was cheap) ARB bumper. 31' Goodyear Duratrac skins. Upgraded alternator. Insulated inside door skin. Biltein HD's in the front, 2013 FjCruiser Factory Bilsteins in the back.
6. I Love the smoothness of the Merc diesel, but an OM606 might have been more appropriate in the power department. The largest thing I have towed was an 1987 4wd 5-speed Toyota Van, and once up to speed it was fine, but a little slow building speed.
7. 16-18 mixed Driving w/ regular 72 Mph (@~2900 rpm) hauls on the freeway
8. ***.5
img_1164-jpg.885929

24785-1390544372-f48850c6a8e8a81d9a3c4c8b166c87d0.jpg

Sxdafrb.jpg

10. https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/a-humble-fj80-om617-r151f-swap.759554/

I propose - 11. Estimated Cost of Swap ~$2500

Last edited:
Great job!! Looks like a lot of custom fab work on that swap. Nothing beats an old school mechanical diesel engine for reliability.

Great job!! Looks like a lot of custom fab work on that swap. Nothing beats an old school mechanical diesel engine for reliability.

Thankee, there sure is a lot of custom fab involved, as well as quite a bit of custom BFH'ing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom