Diesel Transplanted 80 series Registry (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey guys, I searched and didn't really find anything on here about putting an VW 1.9 tdi diesel into an 80 or even a 60. I have been planning a diesel for a while now and somehow came across VW 1.9 turbo diesel. I know it must seem like I'm high but I'm not. Originally I was thinking of a 1kz-te with the 2lt/1kz hybrid mechanical pump for ease of installation, independence from excessive electronics and reliability. The downside is that they're hard to come by for a decent price. And even then You have to mod them to make as much torque as the 1fz-fe. I don't really want a cummins, for the most part I've had good experiences with them, just don't like the excessive noise and vibration or the cost for parts. That and they're not exactly easy to find cheap with the way the cummins crowd is growing. Anyway, I did some searching and found a plethora of VW 1.9 engines from 98-2006 and they're all pretty cheap >$800<$2600. Parts are fairly cheap for the ALH engines and the performance mods necessary to pull 300 lb-ft of torque ring in at <$3500. There are countless threads on performance mods and fuel mileage etc.. Some of these guys drive their VWs with 200hp and over 300 lb-ft torque around as commuters and they report low 40- mid 50's mpgs for fuel economy. I figure high 20's or low 30's wouldn't be out of the question with this engine in a cruiser. That and there are adapters for the 1.8 and 1.9 to toyota transmissions. Albeit most are 4cyl transmissions. I'm sure you could get one for a beefier 5spd and transfer case combo...maybe a H55 and dual cases. Anyway. It seems just as viable as far as money than a cummins and parts would be easier to come by than a toyota. What do you guys think? I was just hoping someone had heard of this or has experience with it.

Why not a VW 3.0 V6 TDI?
A lot more power, very compact, used in a SUV (Touareg). I would think the first gen would be preferable, since it lacks all the emission cleaning junk the new diesel have.

I actually ordered a 4bd2t core this morning and I got the rebuild kit a couple days ago in the mail...backwards, I know. I have a local truck yard pulling a bellhousing and torque converter from a 93 NPR which should be ready tomorrow. The 3.0 would have been a good swap, hadn't even thought of that one.

can you really expect high 20 to low 30s with tht swap?

also, how would this effect the horse power side of it, as I want to try and use mine for mild wheeling?

sorry for nooby questions but I know little of mechanics but I definitely have the 80s bug

Hahahah
any other diesel engine swaps you all seen floating around besides 6bt, chevy military diesel engine (i think?), vd? I read somewhere about mercedes swap but didnt remember all specifics. if and when i get my lc i want to do 6bt i believe bc seems like best option

6bt is way OVERKILL , I spoke to one guy local here that just did his 96LC and he regret he went for 6bt , too heavy and if he would do it again he would switch to 1hdfte is the best option.

but wudnt the hdt as compared to hdfte be better bc its not electronically controlled meaning less stuff to break and easier to put in?

Okay folks...I guess I'll start it off...

1. Year and model of the original truck.
Started out as an Oregon truck...1991 FJ80, 220+k miles.

2. Brief details of the Drivetrain that was swapped in.
Toyota 12H-T 4L direct injected turbo diesel, mated to the A440 automatic tranny and full time transfer case that was originally behind the 3FE.

3. What went really well with the swap?
I was really surprised at how easily and well the diesel slipped into the gasser tranny. Basically 12H-T ring gear, torque converter, bell housing...and then on to the gasser components from tranny onwards.

4. What was unexpectedly difficult with the swap?
It would have been a nightmare if I didn't have access to a bunch of misc. parts to figure out tranny cooling lines and stuff. Luckily, Sheldon and Greg of G&S are good friends and were instrumental in this project. Other than that...the exhaust system was a PITA and $$$ because the 12H-T dumps on the wrong side and there's a lot of bends before it ends.

5. Mods...aside from drivetrain, if any?
2-3" Procomp lift, 33" BFG AT KO, Airflow Snorkel, dual batteries with a Redarc Smart Start solenoid, ISSPRO pyro and boost gauges, manual boost controller (14 psi), etc. Oh yeah...it has a K&N filter...lol. :D

6. Driving impressions after the swap...including drivability in daily driving (if applicable), highway travel, and, of course, off pavement.
Awesome! The 3FE had more top speed on the freeway...but in every other application, felt like a slug compared to the 12H-T. It is noticably louder than the 3FE...sounds like an older Cummins...but I like that. :D

7. Realistic fuel consumption after the swap...lol.
With winter fuel, I was only getting 14.5 US MPG for city driving...but keep in mind that my work is only ten minutes away from my home...so the diesel doesn't really ever get to warm up. Seems like we've switched to summer fuel already...and I've seen an improvement already on the first tank. Right now I have 200 miles and there's still about a third of the tank left...with winter fuel I'd be down to less than a quarter already. I'll update what I'm getting in town with summer fuel after a couple of tanks.

8. Five star rating for overall difficulty of the swap: *=relatively easy, *****=don't even attempt it unless you have some real good friends who are really handy.
I'd say ****, simply because of all the custom work that needed to be done compared to if I had chosen to drop in a 1HD-T.

9. 2 to 3 pictures of your rig.
Airflow_Snorkel.sized.jpg

90_percent_done_002.sized.jpg

:D
3FE_coming_out_013.sized.jpg

10. A link to your own build thread with all the juicy details and pictures.
It's on my sig line...but...
https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-...urbo-diesel-transplant-into-my-1991-fj80.html

:beer:
I have a 92 cruiser I'm looking at putting a Toyota diesel in, it seems your motor tranny mating went quite well, I'm looking at a different Toyota diesel and wondered if you might know whether the 1KZTE would mate up to the a440 easily? I've done some research but couldn't find where anyone had done it.

I can get 1HZ, 1HDT, 1HDFT and 1HDFTE engines and gearbox / front cuts in Australia if anyone is interested in importing to US.

how much the 1hdfte half cut . and the 1hdft ship to California or I have a friend in Hawaii much closer there mate.

I can get 1HZ, 1HDT, 1HDFT and 1HDFTE engines and gearbox / front cuts in Australia if anyone is interested in importing to US.

what is a 1hdfte half cut worth in aus?

1HDFTE entire car, a non reparable write-off can go anywhere between 3 grand for a rollover/badly smashed car/high kilometres, to 15k for perfect condition low kilometre car from the auctions. Not sure how much the shipping would be but if there was demand I would buy a few and ship them anywhere. I have recently done a 1HDFTE conversion on my 100 series.

Last edited:
Pricing on the 1HDT and 1HDFT?

I'm familiar with the 1HDT, and that the 1HDFT is the multivalve version, still mechanical (not electronic fuel injection). Any other differences? I know the 1HDT is much more popular = easier to get spare parts for. Anything else major?

Also, can you get a full diesel sub tank setup?

Pricing on the 1HDT and 1HDFT?

I'm familiar with the 1HDT, and that the 1HDFT is the multivalve version, still mechanical (not electronic fuel injection). Any other differences? I know the 1HDT is much more popular = easier to get spare parts for. Anything else major?

Also, can you get a full diesel sub tank setup?

Yep I can get anything you want from any Aussie cruisers. If I don't have it I can get it from wreckers etc. I do have a sub tank assembly here at the moment, it would come with fuel tank and changeover solenoids / rubber hoses etc.

Your going to spend $6-9k Aus on a 79 series version of the FTE, which isnt as powerful or cant be upgraded as well as the 100 series version.

FT are stupid money too, 10-12k Aus for one of these.

1HDT you will also pay 5-8k Aus for.

1HDT is what I would do, with gturbo, front mount intercooler, and 3" exhaust and modded air box top or petrol on with bigger intake pipe to the turbo.

26 psi boost, 127kw and 599 rw Nm auto, 4.88 gears on 35s at the wheels in top gear, and around 20mpg and it makes 80% of the available torque from 1800 rpm, and 20 psi boost at that point, and I am running a petrol torque convertor to make for a bit higher stall to get up and away on boost to make it a little nicer to drive off the mark.

That is what I run in my 80 here.

We have some FTE conversions with 5 speed auto on the go right now into 105s as well.

The engine price will be the killer for you U.S guys though.

Just my humble opinion, go with a late model 6.5 TD & 4L80e / adapter / to stock TC. Switch the 6.5 to mechanical & get a Compushift EasyShift to run the 4l80e. Whamo! solid motor, great tranny & ~20mpg. These motors aren't the power house a cummins is but never were designed to be. Treat them well & they will treat you well. I had a chevy 3500HD with one that ran like a champ...as soon as the PMD was relocated :)
This exact swap has been done a lot & with great success. The motors are the same block as a chevy 350, parts are readily available here in the US and...here goes my shameless promotion...I have two 6.5TD & 4L80e's for sale in the classifieds. You can get both the motor & tranny for $2900! But if you want to spend $10K just to stay Toyota, I can respect that too.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    Top Bottom