Swapping a Toyota 4.5 diesel (current issue) into an 80 Series? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone tried swapping the current 4.5 diesel Toyota V8 into an 80 Series?

I think there's a few in Australia that have done it. Here's a couple 105s with 1VDs - the frame is almost identical to the 80 series as far as I know. Don't know about the engine bay/body.

If you're on FB, join either of these Australian centric groups and you'll find a ton of posts discussing it if you search "1VD-FTV"

Most say it's not worth the effort, the engine is wide and the amount of modifications and body lift needed steers most people to an LS or a 1HD-FTE

Yeah, not a lot of advantages to swapping in a 1VD, at least not for the usual reasons (torque, economy, simplicity, reliability). The factory quote something like 25 hours to do a starter motor change........

Yeah, not a lot of advantages to swapping in a 1VD, at least not for the usual reasons (torque, economy, simplicity, reliability). The factory quote something like 25 hours to do a starter motor change........
Saywhaa 25 hrs to change a starter motor out.?

Saywhaa 25 hrs to change a starter motor out.?
Sits in the vee. Under EVERYTHING: I doubt it takes 25 hours, but a major job nonetheless. Like most things on a 200 series v8 diesel.

Has anyone tried swapping the current 4.5 diesel Toyota V8 into an 80 Series?
but why? I have a 200 4.5 diesel and an 80 4.2 diesel.
The 4.5 is not a successful engine in my opinion, certainly not the gear connected to it.
The engine is unreliable and sensitive

but why? I have a 200 4.5 diesel and an 80 4.2 diesel.
The 4.5 is not a successful engine in my opinion, certainly not the gear connected to it.
The engine is unreliable and sensitive
Well, it's too bad that Toyota, with all their R&D money, couldn't build a really great modern diesel...

Well, it's too bad that Toyota, with all their R&D money, couldn't build a really great modern diesel...

What is this "Great modern diesel" you speak of? Turbodiesel performance peaked about 15 years ago.

I don't have much first hand experience with modern Toyota diesels, but I do with Hino diesel engines. If Toyota and Hino share engine tech I'd run far and fast from any newer Toyota diesel. In the heavy duty off highway world Hino is the absolute worst there is.

1HDFTE

Why do anything else!? Oh ya emps!! So go 1HDFT.

To me the 1VD doesn’t seem to be a viable swap in the US. Performance can only be what 20-35% over a built FTE and that is a built 1VD as well. It’s more complicated and costs more.

Cheers

The main reason to buy a diesel is for fuel economy. The v8 uses more fuel than the FTE, without a significant increase in towing performance. Toyota should have put R&D money into decreasing emissions on the FTE rather than creating a whole new design. The 1VD doesn't even fit into the engine bay of the 70 series with both turbos!!

Ok, then, how 'bout a Detroit Diesel twin turbo 12V71?
Cummins KTA600?
A hamster running on a wheel?

What we need is for the Chinese to start making a quality copy of the FTE! The way they've copied the Cummins 6BT. If a copy of a 1HD-FTE only lasted half as long as the original that would be twice as long as most other 4WD engines.

Up until a few years ago, Chinese military trucks looked exactly like 1948 Internationals...

What is this "Great modern diesel" you speak of? Turbodiesel performance peaked about 15 years ago.

I don't have much first hand experience with modern Toyota diesels, but I do with Hino diesel engines. If Toyota and Hino share engine tech I'd run far and fast from any newer Toyota diesel. In the heavy duty off highway world Hino is the absolute worst there is.
I was going to say about the same thing. They’re so handicapped by emissions and other things, diesels aren’t what they once were.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom