Diesel Transplanted 80 series Registry (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wow, factory compound turbos. Sounds very expensive but extremely cool.

Tuning possibilities anyone? B-)
Hey guy
You live in Australia right?
There is a company in Australia that does the Durmax swaps and they sell 6.2s and 6.5s , the cost of durmax swap is much much higher then swaping a 6.5s
:cheers:

The Duramax isn't impossible into an 80 series, just not plausible. Bottom line... Too much engine for a Land Cruiser.

This 5.0 seems like the right size beast, I'll be checking my calendar in 10 years when those Nissan trucks fall apart around that engine so we could start doing viable engine conversions.

torfab
is it posiible to connect a 6.5 diesel to a 91-92 transmision for a 97 land cruiser ?

Torfab,

Another question, what do you think of ISB 170 and it's european clones? Engine is not that big to do a lot of mods to fit it. Instead just to make a new flywheel, clutch and bellhousing and should be the right engine for daily ride with good fuel economy and with enough torque for offroading.

I don't have any personal experience with that engine, but since it's ISB it should be a pretty nice cummins for a cruiser. The new QSB cummins is a better choice IMO, but they're $$$

The 3.9 and 4.5 ISB/QSB RGT commonrail 4BT's are pretty nice little motors. They aren't hard to find at all new or used, they just cost significantly more than a $500 6.5 or $1500 6BT or 4BD1T/2T.

Adapters are available for the RGT engines and the industrial Cummins ECM's can be tuned.

Swaps have been done with these engines (ISB and QSB) and adapters are available from these engines to pretty much anything you want to hook one to.

The reality here is that talking about it- Dreaming about it- And actually doing it are totally different things. If you have no experience with integrating automotive systems you might be shocked at how complex it actually is to get one of these interesting and unique engines to function properly in a vehicle it was never intended for.

Regardless of how fantastic the specs look for *insert new fancy engine here* it's a big job to use one in a conversion that nobody else has ever done before. Then when it's sort of done and you're sort of driving it and you find almost zero parts support for the engine you have you might wish you went with a more conventional, more versatile engine for the swap.

Anything is possible with enough time, money and patience, but I would caution that the ends often don't justify the means with regard to really cool looking unusual late model diesel engines.

Cummins 4BT's 12 valves, 24 valves, and commonrails, Isuzu 4BD1T/2T's and GM 6.2/6.5's or the Toyota diesels are the only engines that I see workable for an 80 series. I'm not a fan of the Toyota or early GM diesels, but many people have used those engines and they get the job done.

I am not that pessimistic, as I have read about installing ISBe 170 into Dakota in Canada. And the guy who did it is very happy.

Question is who can make adapter? It is not the question of "IF" it is question of who, when and how much. I have read in last 8 months about hundreds of swaps and there is none directly to Toyota H151F. Most of them are autos and manuals are with US made trans.

And if you look at the budget it is not that expensive as you think:

1. Engine full set, between 1500$ up to 12000 (if you want brand new from MAN or IVECO)
2. Bellhousing from any manual trans which can fit rear of the engine - 500
3. Clutch kit - 700$-1000

Going on cheap side, all materials for swap can be obtained for ~5000$ including engine.

And I am interested only in adapter, rest of it will be done by myself as I am not from US.

Going on cheap side, all materials for swap can be obtained for ~5000$ including engine.

I guess this is what interests me the most: why go through all of this trouble, research, work, headache, etc. and then be cheap about it?

(not directed at you either)

I've seen the results of "cheap" in engine swaps.

It ain't pretty.

By saying that, which part of it should be expensive? If I do not buy a brand new engine with warranty for 12000? All work will be done by me, all what I need is engine and adapter (new bellhousing with clutch) I have price quote from one of the forum vendors here and I agreed to the pricing. I just had to delay my project. Due some personal issues. So it is the matter of time when I will get it. I am not looking at the economical side. I am more want to reassure myself that I am going in right direction.

Last edited:
I agree with Beno, Tugarin - your work may look fantastic but with any conversion you should double your budget.

I prefer the Toyota diesels over anything else, but I prefer to keep with newer ones. For the most part our days are spend installing the 1HZ, 1HD-T, 1HD-FT, and 1HD-FTE. They are fantastic engines, parts are more available than you think, and you don't have to spend any money on adapters. They're much quieter than the 6.5, cummins, and Isuzu engines, don't make as much power, but are more refined overall.

Thanks guys, I guess I will double the budget and put some extra contingency.

I machine adapters for the RGT B series engines among many others, but I don't think the H151 will be compatible unless they were made with a RH side starter.

null_zps757c4cc2.jpg

null_zps1a293b32.jpg

cummins 6bt

Does anyone know of a supply source for a trans adapter to mate my cummins 6bt to the stock Trans of 94 FJ80.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom