Diesel Transplanted 80 series Registry (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

94 FJ80 Cummins 6bt

Just starting my build. Cummins in machine shop and will be running the 4E pump. I will post pictures once complete. Anyone know of a source for a transadapter to my stock transmission? If not, suggestions on proper transmission and implication to drive line conversion would be appreciated.

I reached out to Jonesys via email twice but no reply. The predator was the inspiration motivating my build.

I think it is for a member 69rambler who makes the transmission adapter plates. I'm sure he will chime in here eventually.

EDIT....

found it in another thread:

" Jonesy's doesnt make the adapter, dieseladapters.com does (69rambler is his name on here) . The adapter is still readily available."

Last edited:
We get a lot of emails from here and youtube, its hard to reply to all of them.

Yes, the adapters are still available at diesel adapters. s

Jonesy's is no longer selling the adapters retail, we are only doing shop installs. :cheers:

I reached out to Jonesys via email twice but no reply. The predator was the inspiration motivating my build.

Last edited:
clutch bracket for fj8-1hz/1h50

Hi folks . not sure if I post this but hope this will give me some info about Diesel swap into my 97LexCruiser . I always like the 5speed FJ80 since it never offer to the US market , and I really like the 12HT and Iv'e read and heard a lot about both side 12HT and 1HZ, but at the end I choose the 12HT 5speed to power up my 97 LexCruiser I know its not a bolt in like 1HZ but its a lot of fab skill involve all by myself . this swap were kind of like New and old not liking the electronic computer control Engine , the only issue I'm having hard time finding parts is the clutch pedal , bracket assembly , I even try to look ebay Australia but has no luck which leads me to go to the local Toyota Dealer and the cost is like ROCKET lol..anybody knows where I can get even just a used one..
hi I got same problem with clutch bracket and Dave from Japan 4x4 was the answer price around $70 I got at before Dave email me the tracking#....LOL fits perfect

New owner /blown motor, choices?

I'm a second time owner. I joined when I purchased my first cruiser. ('92, rough truck) Loved it but sold it to find one with lockers. Finally found one(really clean '93) and, well, the motor went T.U. It was run low on oil. Now it blows thick white out of the exhaust and there are some metal flakes in the oil. Think its more than a HG because of the 'glitter' in the oil.

Don't have deep pockets and looking for advice on fix it, or sell and keep looking. Looks as if I can replace the stock4.5 for about 4k installed with warranty,( 5yr/60k). Any advice on the most economical diesel swap? Will basically end up spending all of the 'mod' money on getting it back on the road. Im in the truck about 4300, will putting a 4k motor be worth it? Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks

Any advice on the most economical diesel swap? Will basically end up spending all of the 'mod' money on getting it back on the road. Im in the truck about 4300, will putting a 4k motor be worth it? Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks

Howdy John! This is Mike Krueger, great to see you got another cruiser- sucks about the motor though.

If you are looking to have a diesel swap performed by a shop (IIRC you mentioned you were too busy to wrench most of the time) then the cheapest option is to go with the GM 6.2/6.5 with a GM transmission and Toyota transfer case from Torfab up in Mukilteo. That setup gets approximately 22-25 mpg depending on tune and driving habits.

He's in demand so I don't know if his rates have changed, but a couple of years ago he was charging between $10.5K and $12K for a turnkey swap. You may be able to offset a bit of that cost by selling off the broken motor as well as the transmission, but probably not for a bunch though.

The diesel conversion will likely never pay for itself in fuel savings, it only makes sense if you want the increased power and fuel range.

Good luck amigo!
-Mike

IMG_9346-2 (2).JPG
lrg0109.jpg
lrg0101.jpg
Awe come on!

burn! Burn him!...i mean ban! Ban him!

So what if its off topic?!

So take this-
1. 1994 fzj80 cloth interior, purchased with a bad tranny, 6800 lbs loaded for a weekend trip w/3 kids 5300 lbs unladen w/ no passengers.
2. 4BT 105hp, rebuilt injectors, fuel pump and playing with turbo's (currently a H1C no-intercooler), AA Chevy to NV4500 (early with low 1st), AA to Fj62 splitcase, custom drivelines power close but sligtly below a 1fz-comparable to a 2f. 12+ psi boost w/ temps below 1100 unless I push it/lug it too much. 1/4 turn on the fuel screw.
3. Everything in this swap was tricky and time consuming as I went with a manual tranny and was trying to maintain a stock suspension height so as to not limit travel even with a lift. I gutted all the extra wiring which meant stripping the interior and dash. I started this in November of 2011.
4. There were too many things I needed to buy that I didn't consider or ideas that didn't work out and a lack of support from adapter vendors- Orangefj45 made up for that- thanks George.. I spent more money than I expected of course and still have more to spend I'm sure.
5. OME J lift, 2" bump stops, brake extensions, electric vacuum pump, no AC yet. 17's with 33's- and now Cooper ST Maxx 315x75x16's- seem to rob a little power on the highway but smooth and quiet and the 4.10's seem just fine.
6. Loud and rattley at idle and lower RPMS, I'm over it though after learning the different driving characteristics and dig the torque of the diesel. I put in a lot of sound deadening and it paid off. Is the 4BT an ideal motor for this swap? No, but I am excited about getting the bugs worked out and getting this thing on the trail/road..
7.MPG's 120+ miles combined trail and highway, 40-45 miles is 1st,2nd low and high gear the rest 50 to 65, 17mpg, normal with 1fz would be about 8 to 10. Last tank to the beach and back I netted 24.8 mpg
8. 5 stars for difficulty
9. pics, sure-
10. No official build thread..

Last edited:
1. 97 LX450
2. 1HZ + safari turbo, R151, part time split case
3. Engine bolted in and fits perfect, the smaller R151 trans allowed for a flat belly
4. Not a difficult swap...just takes time and patients
5. Dual batteries, sleeping platform/drawers, Webasto
6. Slow to accelerate but maintains speed well on hills. I'm happy with it. If you're used to driving a 22re, it's fast.
7. 15 mpg on highway at 70-75 mph, 19 mpg on back roads. This is loaded up with gear for a 3 week trip. I only have 255/85r16 (cooper st) with the stock 4.10 so it revs to high at high way speed.
8. *** The hardest part of the swap is gathering up all the parts. Once I had everything, the swap was strait forward.

10. Build thread:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/lx450-1hz-turbo-diesel-5speed-swap.793226/

Where is a good place to source a Toyota diesel? Looking at purchasing a solid 80 series with a bad engine. Would live to bolt in a diesel. I've checked eBay and they seem very expensive. Is there a better place to look?

...via IH8MUD app

Now that I feel my diesel swap is complete I can post on this registry:
1. 1996 FZJ80.
2. 6.2 GM HMMWV diesel with 700r4 tranny.
3. I think everything went a little easier than expected.
4. Getting the shift linkage to line up to match the shift indicator was hard and still ongoing.
5. Mods: 2 1/2 lift, tahoe center console, locker axles, center diff switch and more.
6. Driving impressions after the swap: More power and sounds awesome.
7. Not sure of fuel consumption yet. I will update once I know.
8. Rating for overall difficulty of the swap: ***
9. See below
10. forum.ih8mud.com/threads/4xfletchs-fzj80-resurrection.777231/
Cruiser outside.jpg
Cruiser Engine.jpg

Where is a good place to source a Toyota diesel? Looking at purchasing a solid 80 series with a bad engine. Would live to bolt in a diesel. I've checked eBay and they seem very expensive. Is there a better place to look?

...via IH8MUD app

Let me know please if u find somewhere. Im with u brother

Happened to stumble across this while I was looking at some adapters http://www.marks4wd.com/blog/# a conversion kit for a duramax to a nissan patrol but still its cool and I already asked when there going to make one for a cruiser, waiting to hear back

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    Top Bottom