Dented Drive shaft after wheeling. Bad Vibs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Went wheeling today. Good times but I did smash my BRAND NEW OEM Mr. T driveshaft I just bought. It was driving smooth as silk on the way there. Now the truck feels like its a big vibrator starting at 35mph and up. Very very bad off gas.

Anyways, I'm just looking to see what the best approach is.

Can I just get it balanced? New tube?

Went wheeling today. Good times but I did smash my BRAND NEW OEM Mr. T driveshaft I just bought. It was driving smooth as silk on the way there. Now the truck feels like its a big vibrator starting at 35mph and up. Very very bad off gas.

Anyways, I'm just looking to see what the best approach is.

Can I just get it balanced? New tube?

The same thing happened to me. 3 choices:

1) Depending on how damaged it is, any good drive line shop can re-tube it for you. I got mine quoted for the $100 range.

2) Find a used one in fairly good condition. Normally I've seen prices in the $100 range.

3) Buy a brand new one if funds permit.

Since my damage wasn't horrible and the prices were the same to buy a used one and to get one re-tubed, I went with a used one so I would have a trail spare.

Thanks for the options. I literally just bought this one new like last month. I still have my oem one as a spare. No way I am keeping a brand new one as a spare and put on the old.

Guess my best option is a re-tube. Can I do this myself then get it balanced? Any tricks. BTW I am not a noob to most metal work.

Any possible way a balance would take care of it or highly unlikely?

Last edited:
The stock ones are muffler tube, ~.060" wall, they bend/dent very easily. You can keep buying/bending stockers or step up to something stronger. Any decent driveline shop should be able to retube/balance with stronger tube. About .120" wall is the max for good balance, so if highway travel is in the plan, it's the best compromise.

I did the same on mine. I had mine re-tubed to .138" and it balanced out perfectly. Total cost was $138 out the door.

Wish I knew this info before I bought a brand new one. I would have built up my other one instead.

Thanks for info and pricing. Things here in Ct. seem to be a bit more expensive though. looks like there about 4 places in the whole state that do this work.

Ha ha ha you should see mine! 12 years on the same driveshaft.

Yeah, I'm sure. Your 80 would prob. vibrate apart at 50mph Wrench

^ LOL Your probably right. I need to get mine re-tubed as well. Let me know where you go.

Wish I knew of the retube prior. Would have done that to my now spare DS instead of buying new. Oh well. Live and learn. I'll let you know who I find.

I had not thought of getting my driveshaft re-tubed. I've had pretty bad vibration at 35-45 mph since the summer of '07 and running French Creek here in CO.

Forgot my splines where bad on my old shaft and that's why I bought a new one. Been spending so much $ on the cruiser this yr I seem to be forgetting all the reasons for my parts purchases.

So looks like I will be re-tubing. First off finding a Rep. shop here in CT.

It would be wise to remove the DS until you can get it retubed. The vibes could damage your u-joints.

Thanks for asking about this, I was unaware of the stock wall thickness. Good to know there is room for improvement, since it's time for a re-tube myself.:hillbilly:

attachment.php

Thanks for asking about this, I was unaware of the stock wall thickness. Good to know there is room for improvement, since it's time for a re-tube myself.:hillbilly:

attachment.php

Oh come on - you're going to bother fixing that little scratch? Sheesh.

Wow that is impressive! Must have been HARD hit. Mine is not that bad..

Can small dents be balanced out without tube replacement???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom