Dash Pad (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need to replace the Pad part of the dash. I have removed the entire unit and the metal frame of the dash panel (the frame part inside the foam pad) is still in good usable condition. So this brings me to my question...

I have seen Dash Pads ranging from Cheap to Holy Crap. Are most of the cheap ones just the pad and the expensive ones the pad and internal frame?

I dont want to spend $400 on a dash pad if all I have to replace is the foam and vinyl.

the expensive ones are just the dash pad and i paid about 450 for mine. the frame inside is welded to the dash or do you mean something esle for frame?????? do you mean number 24 and 99
172c.gif

Mine was beginning to show some cracks in the vinyl, so I had it recovered in good quality leather. Much cheaper than a new pad and it looks great ...

:popcorn:

I was unwilling to pay the cost of a replacement dash pad. I went with a cheaper solution that also adds storage to the 40.
78FJ40 33.jpg
Windshield Knob Assy 05.jpg
78FJ40 34.jpg

if anyone needs part of the dash pad thats spot welded to the body let me know, i'm pulling mine off because i don't want to pay for a pad and i like the look of the dash without it better.

i brought the dash pad and spent the money but i think it was worth it to me. it does make the look of the dash so much better. plus the dash box would not work i have a bar going across the top of the pad and the lid could not open
bad ass fj40 010.jpg

On my budget the dash cap from cruiser corps did the trick for me. Easy install, looks fine. If I was restoring I'd find a way to go original.

I think that e-crater is the same one as cruisercorps only more $$

I mean part 13 is still in good shape.

What all is included in the dash pad cap?
1978 1979 1980 1981 1982 LandCruiser FJ40 Dash Pad Cap

If it's like the one that I put on a '73 over 10 yr. ago it's a plastic cover that is held on with a silicone adhesive. It covers the old pad. On my '71 I put on a new oem pad from Toyota. At the time my son was working for a dealer and got me one for his cost.

It's actually what you are looking for and what you are willing to pay.

I mean part 13 is still in good shape.

What all is included in the dash pad cap?
1978 1979 1980 1981 1982 LandCruiser FJ40 Dash Pad Cap

The dash cap is a molded piece of plastic that goes over your existing dash pad (if you have one). It's not a replacement for a dash pad, but simulates the look (not feel) of having a dashpad. It mounts using the existing windshield screw knobs, and once it's down tight, looks pretty stock to someone not familiar with FJ 40's.

I purchased the cruiser corps one, and it is the same as the one you linked to, and would suggest you get theirs if your go that route, since they are a supporting mud vendor.

A full dash pad replacement piece is getting close to becoming no longer available from Toyota, the dealer cost with CDan discount was in the neighborhood of 400 dollars plus shipping.

See here:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/414547-upper-dashpad-fyi.html

i already replaced mine once...then i went with a more functional dash tray...simple and cheap.

modeled mine after an fj45 from africa that had one of the same style...use my truck for doing some side jobs and such...makes for a good holder of many things

attachment.php

I like JohnnyC's dash tray better than my glue on dash pad. I'll do that next time around. But then, I'm a purist. Pure and simple wins every time, what was I thinking?

Might be pricey but try this company www.justdashes.com. They can rebuild any dashboard/dashpad to new. FJs might be less costly due to there simplicity.

This is a great if pricey solution. Did this 10 years ago & it still looks outstanding.

John

Who sells those dash storage boxes ??

I need to replace the Pad part of the dash. I have removed the entire unit and the metal frame of the dash panel (the frame part inside the foam pad) is still in good usable condition. So this brings me to my question...

I have seen Dash Pads ranging from Cheap to Holy ****. Are most of the cheap ones just the pad and the expensive ones the pad and internal frame?

I dont want to spend $400 on a dash pad if all I have to replace is the foam and vinyl.
I paid a little less than $400.00 for my O.E.M. pad from my local Toyota dealer about a year ago.

Great - Thank you.

EDIT -- Just ordered one. He's got a bunch in stock. $299 + shipping. Very nice guy. Old school. Very helpful and installation kit comes with the spot weld cutter if you have to remove your old dash. Mine was already gone, so easy peeesy.

Mark Vickers (the Dashman) : 408-623-4637 (cell)

No website - Just call him.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom