Builds Cummins 6bt/nv4500 build (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Get those rags ready.

If I have time tomorrow after picking up another 80, I too will be digging into the drivers side knuckle to replace the birf.

Get those rags ready.

If I have time tomorrow after picking up another 80, I too will be digging into the drivers side knuckle to replace the birf.
Well I'm not going that far in but I do have my gloves, towels and brake cleaner ready.
Getting another 80 to fix or for parts?

Well I'm not going that far in but I do have my gloves, towels and brake cleaner ready.
Getting another 80 to fix or for parts?
Getting another 80 to use during the winter primarily. I have no rust on my green 80, aND want to keep it that way.
rear driver quarter.jpg.JPG

Installed a few set of these, very nice to work with. Set it and forget it
Yeah they were super easy to install. I like that they are thicker than the OEM lock nut. Much easier to keep a greasy 54mm socket on them.

Not much to say about changing front bearing today. It was easy and uneventful. Old bearings looked good but due to lack of enough brake cleaner to clean them I ended up replacing the inner and outer bearings on each wheel. I'll use the old for trail spares. All the races came out and went in with no issues. I still think the HF bearing and race install tool is one of the best investments.
IMG_2664.jpg

IMG_2665.jpg

Next up changing some seals on the Cummins when the next oil change is up. I have a leak where the oil pressure sensor is located on the drivers side. The hot weather is showing me all my leaks.

How much more does that 6bt weigh than the 1FZ? between that and the armor/winch/tires you are probably asking a good bit more of your front axle than intended.. not a bad idea to change bearings preemptively.

How much more does that 6bt weigh than the 1FZ? between that and the armor/winch/tires you are probably asking a good bit more of your front axle than intended.. not a bad idea to change bearings preemptively.
I'm guessing a few hundred pounds. I need to get it weighed. I've done my best to shred around 100lbs in crap since the swap. Lighter front bumper and sliders.

Searched out a electric fan at the junkyard this morning to try to attempt to install in front of my intercooler hoping to get some air to the AC condenser. Paid $20 for one that probably won't work. It was the smallest I could find. It would require most of the meat from the grill to be removed.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1440961996.659065.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1440962007.258512.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1440962024.714089.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1440962040.982477.jpg

Tonight I removed the rear sliding windows in preparation for flip up windows. Very excited to finally have good access to the back. It's amazing how much room you have to reach in without half a window in the way.
image.jpg
image.jpg

soo.... we need to start planning another trip soon.
Agree. The weather around here is almost ready for that. I just have a little over a month left of festival season and then I can take some time off.

My duty today was to keep an eye on the roast the wife put in the smoker which also gave me uninterrupted garage time. I installed flip up windows and have just been cleaning up some other things on the 80.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1441483967.998482.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1441483982.282557.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1441483996.353914.jpg

Fridge access is a breeze now.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1441484011.368080.jpg

Relocated solar controller to 3rd row seatbelt bolt.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1441484084.858098.jpg

Going to try to get out of the house somewhere tomorrow. Probably just head to my river property and do some fishing. Want to stay away from the Labor Day crowds.

Never got out for anything exciting this weekend. Still way to hot to camp anywhere and the water places this weekend are always packed so it was a full weekend of wrenching. Even had my stepsons organizing my junk box.
Anyway I started on my seat swap. Managed to get the 80 brackets off my junk seats. They still have the slides on but I want to weld on some bars to connect all the feet before removing the alide portion. On the LR I hacked off the feet leaving the slides. The LR slides are 2" wider so it won't be hard to weld some flat stock to the 80 brackets for them bolt or weld onto.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1441661693.343165.jpg

LC brackets bolts to floor
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1441661707.872573.jpg

LR feet cut off
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1441661719.289871.jpg

LR seat sitting on brackets. Seat will probably be about 1" lower in the end.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1441661733.508520.jpg

Space under seat.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1441661754.893188.jpg

I still need to figure out a place to mount the LR controls.

I picked up a vacuum pump seal kit from Cummins this morning. I believe this is the culprit of my oil droppings on the my garage floor. Looks like an easy fix according to YouTube. May be a bit messy snaking it out.
I just love have a Cummins dealer in town that mostly has all this stuff in stock. $14.31
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1441809246.065202.jpg

I had issues with the cummins seal kit. There is a guy on ebay selling over sized orings ramtrans1 is his user name. My cummins kit only lasted 1000 miles. When I put the original oem together I was thinking this orings is going to small there is no way this is going to work.

I had issues with the cummins seal kit. There is a guy on ebay selling over sized orings ramtrans1 is his user name. My cummins kit only lasted 1000 miles. When I put the original oem together I was thinking this orings is going to small there is no way this is going to work.
Thanks. I'll look him up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom