Colorado emissions testing requirements (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can anyone tell me what I’m looking at for smog requirements in El Paso county, mainly Colorado Springs? Currently have a de-smogged 60 with a Sniper, but it still has a functioning cat. I have all my smog equipment in a box but I’m curious if there is any sort of “visual inspection” it will automatically fail or if it’s at least given a chance on a sniffer before presumptively failing it.

I live in Garfield county and there are no smog requirements.

You may want to try the club section, check with the Rising Sun club.

Looks like El Paso county only needs diesel inspections? Maybe? May as well just call

Looks like El Paso county only needs diesel inspections? Maybe? May as well just call
Nah it’s 80-81 and newer need emissions. I’m more curious of peoples actual experiences getting tested vs what the emissions people say. I know if I call and tell them I have a modified fuel and emissions system on my car they would automatically say it’ll fail.

Ultimately, I’m wondering if they go by tail pipe emissions and don’t care about the visual portion and/or what the vehicle came with originally like California does. California couldn’t care less if you’ve made improvements on tail pipe emissions, they need to see all the factory smog equipment.

I had my 79 FJ40 tested in 2021 ( first yr production with a cat ) and they poked around looking for components and did a tailpipe test. I’m in Adams county. I have a 5yr collectors plate. Test again in 2026.

According to the fine people at air care and their noble cause….

All vehicles are checked for items like illuminated dashboard warning lights, the presence of gas caps and tire pressure. Vehicles also are checked for required components (these may vary depending upon the make and model) to ensure that they are installed, intact and in working order. These include catalytic converters, air injection systems and oxygen sensors.

Vehicles not originally equipped with these components are not required to have them. However, a vehicle's original equipment must be present and unaltered at the time of the emissions inspection.

Gas caps on all 1975-and-newer vehicles are tested for leakage. The gas cap will be removed and attached to a pressurization device to ensure that an adequate seal is preventing harmful emissions from escape into the atmosphere. Vehicles with faulty gas caps will fail the overall inspection.

Two-speed Idle (non driving) Test
vehicles that are model year 1981-and-older subject to this non-driving evaluation that monitors emissions at idle speeds.

So, yes they ARE supposed to verify it has the pump/air injection rail etc. test gas cap then run the 2 idle speed sniffer test. Now it’s possible you might get a lazy one that does r check, but I wouldn’t count on it.

I’m thankful I live up north in Weld County out of the zone…

According to the fine people at air care and their noble cause….

All vehicles are checked for items like illuminated dashboard warning lights, the presence of gas caps and tire pressure. Vehicles also are checked for required components (these may vary depending upon the make and model) to ensure that they are installed, intact and in working order. These include catalytic converters, air injection systems and oxygen sensors.

Vehicles not originally equipped with these components are not required to have them. However, a vehicle's original equipment must be present and unaltered at the time of the emissions inspection.

Gas caps on all 1975-and-newer vehicles are tested for leakage. The gas cap will be removed and attached to a pressurization device to ensure that an adequate seal is preventing harmful emissions from escape into the atmosphere. Vehicles with faulty gas caps will fail the overall inspection.

Two-speed Idle (non driving) Test
vehicles that are model year 1981-and-older subject to this non-driving evaluation that monitors emissions at idle speeds.

So, yes they ARE supposed to verify it has the pump/air injection rail etc. test gas cap then run the 2 idle speed sniffer test. Now it’s possible you might get a lazy one that does r check, but I wouldn’t count on it.

I’m thankful I live up north in Weld County out of the zone…
Yeah on paper that’s basically how Phoenix was but only once out of all the yearly tests I did there did they even pop the hood. I was kind of hoping someone actually in the county or Colorado Springs could chime in.

Yeah on paper that’s basically how Phoenix was but only once out of all the yearly tests I did there did they even pop the hood. I was kind of hoping someone actually in the county or Colorado Springs could chime in.
I’d post up on rising sun 4x4 forum and see if anyone there can give you a shop to use that’s a little more relaxed.

I live in the republic of kalifornia luckily I’m in one of the few counties that has smog on transfer only, but when I lived in SoCal every two years!!!!!!! I can tell you smog check stations have the info from MFG I never had a visual that didn’t know what was supposed to be on the vehicle no matter if they’ve never seen a 60 motor b4. It doesn’t matter how clean the tail pipe emissions are, the feds mandated the emission equipment and it can not be modified. Them speaking not me…..

@BlackCat How well the AirCare people execute their job all depends on the person, testing center, and day. I had a vac line to my EGR modulator disconnected and clearly plugged and they didn't say a darn thing. I failed that test, and passed once I reconnected it. I've also had hard asses question every little thing. Now, with something as heavily modified as your setup - no AI, no EGR, sniper - I would imagine they're going to be more prone to flagging that.

I'm in Denver, so I'm not sure if El Paso is part of the AirCare program or if the testing is different there. I will also suggest making a post on the Rising Sun forum or reaching out to Redline Land Cruisers.

@BlackCat How well the AirCare people execute their job all depends on the person, testing center, and day. I had a vac line to my EGR modulator disconnected and clearly plugged and they didn't say a darn thing. I failed that test, and passed once I reconnected it. I've also had hard asses question every little thing. Now, with something as heavily modified as your setup - no AI, no EGR, sniper - I would imagine they're going to be more prone to flagging that.

I'm in Denver, so I'm not sure if El Paso is part of the AirCare program or if the testing is different there. I will also suggest making a post on the Rising Sun forum or reaching out to Redline Land Cruisers.
Thanks for the info. Do you know of any work arounds if I do have issues? In Arizona I could have collectors plates with a collectors insurance policy which would allow me to be emissions exempt. Curious if Colorado has something similar?

Colorado is basically California when it comes to emissions. I'm extremely glad to be out of that state. You will need all your emissions equipment. The collector plates afaik make it so your emissions test is every 5 years instead of every year.
Ahh got it. Thanks.

Colorado is basically California....

Colorado's smog websites are poorly written and confusing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom