Charcoal Canister - Great Option! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just completed my change out. Removed the 3 bottom bolts on the bracket, top bolt for hose holder, 1 on the sidewall and removed the canister and bracket. I replaced with the Autozone GM unit and even though the inlet was slightly larger than stock, all I did is reuse the lower hose that is no longer used and used it as the inlet hose and it fit perfectly. Below are my pictures.

Stock one.

Looking down at all three bolts that hold bracket at the base.

Canisters new and old.

Top of side by side view.

Side view of new canister, note, you will need longer bolts

With bolts install, old canister pinched the brackets, new one you have at least 1" space.

All mounted back in place using the left over lower house now for the inlet hose.

I just did this. I removed the lower clamp holding the new canister prior to installing it as that was hitting the wire bundle coming out of the fuse panel. It's just one bolt and opens up some room down there.

For about a year now, I've been living in denial thinking that my tank pressure was an anomaly due to extreme outside air temps or altitudes. I finely broke down and got the VC120 replacement canister and installed as did so many before me and so far everything works perfect.

Perturbed that the factory canister failed after only 21 years and 215k miles I had to see where the breakdown was so I performed an autopsy. I've followed this thread from the beginning and don't ever remember seeing the insides before so if this is a repeat, I apologize.

Here is the victim, top and bottom, after the top was hacked off:
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1408222569.274381.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1408222588.274694.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1408222605.076151.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1408222630.378212.jpg

Here is the bottom filter separating the charcoal from the bottom vent. I'm not sure what the white plastic stand is for
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1408222834.546298.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1408222855.164124.jpg

Here is the top half with the charcoal separator, spring and manifold. The manifold has 2 check balls: center in the pipe and on the port side. Interestingly enough, despite being a little gooped up, both balls were free and operates smoothly. Why the canister didn't function remains unclear:
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1408223105.918667.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1408223122.936830.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1408223137.321851.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1408223151.089260.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1408223165.573703.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1408223179.675316.jpg

Steffan - that is awesome!!! Do you think you will rebuild it and put it back in service? I like the factory clamps and fitment better than the alternative we have going... so I've kept mine in hopes of rebuilding it.

Very interesting Steffan, well thought I would give a almost 4 month update. Everything working just as it should, no pressure in the tank at all. Not positive but it does appear I may have improved my mpg by 1 to 2 mpg. I was getting 10-12 and I now get 12-13 consistently.

This is on sale for $36 right now (not sure on duration, but was $54 Friday 9/19) for anyone on the fence.

This is on sale for $36 right now (not sure on duration, but was $54 Friday 9/19) for anyone on the fence.

Thx, ordered one.

I'll update mine as well after three months. I had an occasion hard start/rough idle problem (you could smell fuel and see a white cloud when it started). That appears to be entirely gone now. I wonder if the fuel was being pulled back into the tank by the vacuum, creating air in the fuel injector system. So a couple cylinders that had fuel, would over-fuel while the other cylinders were waiting for the fuel supply. In any event, truck start/runs great now. Zero issues with the mod so far.

Dazrin where is this on sale at right now?

I used the link from the first post, but it looks like there is some regional pricing going on. When I pull it up at work (which uses an IP address in Nebraska) it shows as $53, when I pull it up on my phone using a Portland area zipcode (97123) it shows as $36. Try setting your store to one in the 97123 zipcode to see the $36 price.

Link from the first post for reference: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Duralast-Vapor-Canister/_/N-5yc1s?itemIdentifier=239708

so should i do the vc120 or the 4016? do i have to change the hose size on the vc120?

so should i do the vc120 or the 4016? do i have to change the hose size on the vc120?

You don't need to change hoses with the VC120, but the hose from the tank is a VERY tight fit (it is too small but will go on with persuasion).

alright , im just still not clear on how the drain in the bottom of the factory one matters or not when you put on the vc120

alright , im just still not clear on how the drain in the bottom of the factory one matters or not when you put on the vc120

matters not. the stock one goes into the fender, vc120 goes straight out the bottom

done then im ordering now
thanks

I put mine in yesterday. I feel like I felt an immediate improvement in throttle response. Maybe that was psychological.

One tip I would offer is to make sure you have the head of the bolt holding the clamp on the canister in the side closest to the fuse box (in a 96). I didn't do that first and the threaded end was rubbing against the fuse box.

I removed the bottom bracket/clamp all together and made it so the bottom of the canister doesn't touch the bottom of the mount.

As soon as I disconnected the tube from the tank the hose vented a bunch of pressure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom