Builds building a landcruiser for overland expedition (1 Viewer)

Should we paint Nulla’s camper cab blue?

• Yes

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • No

Votes: 8 61.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Axle shafts wear out and break. Same goes for pinions and sway bars. Every time you accelerate the axle shafts twist a little like a torsion bar. After doing that thousands of times the metal fatigues. Especially if used off-road because they twist even more. If you upgrade to a 14 bolt axle it would be less stress on the shafts. But if those are original longs then they are probably like 10 years old. I'd say u got your money out of them.

I'm actually amazed that the housings are still straight and the transmission or T case is still in 1 piece. 10,000lbs + is like normal 2.5 cruisers?

Cool build.

nulla1.jpg
nulla 2.jpg
nulla3.JPG
i was openning files on my computer and found these. Nulla before, then and now. i though i would share. we are trying very hard to leave for our trip in Jan 2017. we are heading south from Los Angeles. currently building an aluminum toy hauler for the side car motorcycle.

Are you by chance coming through Honduras next year? If so we'd love to show you some hospitality in Copan Ruinas!

Are you by chance coming through Honduras next year? If so we'd love to show you some hospitality in Copan Ruinas!
Thank Adventure Copan, we will let you know. we don't have specific plans, we will make it up as we go. we will keep the invite on the list. thanks again.

the plan include Nulla towing the side car in a toy hauler, it is the daily ride when we reach destination. there are pros and con but we decided to do it..thx

buggie on.jpg

Where is this last pic taken? Looks like winter has caught you out.

cannon ball ND, heavy snow in North and South Dakota and parts of WY, had to engage 4wd in the back roads. we are now in Denver heading toward New Mexico, jojo caliente mineral hot spring tonite then home to cali...... no snow all clear. this is Nulla first long trip since re gearing all went well so far. thanks

today we will begin to retrofit Nulla for our Central and South America trip, schedule begin in Jan 2017.
1. initially Nulla was design to fit into a container cause we where going to ship to another continent. that is no longer the case we are just going to drive south. for this we will remove the pop top and raise the top 3' all aluminum. this 3' will be removable incase we need to ship in the container in the future.
2. install a wallas stove/heater https://www.scanmarineusa.com/wp-content/uploads/Wallas-Nordic-Dt-2015-Priced-s.pdf
3. a sink
4. simplify drive shaft to one long one, been consulting with other gurus on ih8mud about this, here is that thread Drive shaft
5. also plan to consult with diesel gurus here if anything i need to do with the 12HT
6. for the trip Nulla will also tow a 10' trailer for our side car, we want to "settle" in some places so we will have a vehicle to drive around and explore the area. the trailer will also have a toilet and shower. frankly we discussed this a lot because we are not sure about having a toy hauler but we have decided to give it a try.

thanks much more to come.

a lot of driving, but our trip to Cannon Ball North Dakota was great. Spend time with the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe and their supporters. made some stops along the way, Delight hot springs, Death Valley, Mystic Hot Spring Utah, Ajo Caliente mineral hot spring, New Mexico.

now i better get my a-- to work.

Last edited:
so is that thing actually running? after all the false starts i stopped following it a year ago. i still haven't seen an evidence its actually running, and the websites aren't to be trusted as they had a history of taking bookings and peoples money when the service still didn't exist

thx, yes we are thinking of a Ferry, we will figure it out when we get there. the ferry that Tapage is suggesting is an option. i am pretty sure there are a lot of overlanders driving south. thx

thx, yes we are thinking of a Ferry, we will figure it out when we get there. the ferry that Tapage is suggesting is an option. i am pretty sure there are a lot of overlanders driving south. thx
Actually the page @Tapage posted shows the ferry isn't running, being from Panama I thought he might have some up to date inside info. Either of the ferries have only ever operated briefly in the past, so you will still have to use a container. I've seen one traveller story of lucking out and finding a small 'informal' cargo ship where they sweet talked the captain and the car was lifted onto the deck via crane and they travelled with the crew, but its unlikely that opportunity will present itself, especially if your too big for a container and your banking on it. I am also building for this crossing and I am still making mine so it will fit in a container

Actually the page @Tapage posted shows the ferry isn't running, being from Panama I thought he might have some up to date inside info. Either of the ferries have only ever operated briefly in the past, so you will still have to use a container. I've seen one traveller story of lucking out and finding a small 'informal' cargo ship where they sweet talked the captain and the car was lifted onto the deck via crane and they travelled with the crew, but its unlikely that opportunity will present itself, especially if your too big for a container and your banking on it. I am also building for this crossing and I am still making mine so it will fit in a container

the extended top i am building is removable if i have to. any case i hope we get lucky. if not we maybe in central america for a while. the trailer will not fit a container. thx

Ferry did work for a year or little less .. few folks were lucky enough to be here in the time frame of operation and did use it .. sadly right now it's no longer working due to small demand ..

Right now the only option it's by container ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom