Builds Bringing back my 74 FJ40 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Took the 40 out on a couple errands and it started feeling sluggish. Turns out the new front mini truck brakes were dragging. After a mile or so they were completely locked up and the pedal was too firm to even press. I opened the bleeder valves to release a bit of pressure and was able to drive home. By the time I got home the brakes were dragging a bit again. What cases this??

I did some searching and reading. Do I need to shorten the rod behind the 85 mini truck MC?? It should have the correct residual valves built it right????

when I did mine I had the same type of issue, it turned out the rod needed some adjustment to release the master. Same symptoms.

Shortened up the rod that drives the master cylinder by 2mm. That seems to have done the trick.

I spent some time on the alignment and ran into a small issue. The tie rid ends were already screwed completely in and bottoming out in the drag link I was still at about 1 3/8 toe out. I didn't see another obvious solution so I shortened the threads on both tre's so that the drag link would accept them a little further to get the proper alignment. I still have the same number of threads engaged so I don't think I gave up any strength. Truck is sitting at the proper 1/8 toe in and seems to drive straight.

image_20.jpeg

image_18.jpeg

No sooner than I got the brakes straightened out and the vacuum leak fixed the clutch went completely out. Master and slave cylinder are good, maybe the clutch itself??? Rkymtnflyfshr hooked me up with a used clutch to install since I'm short on $$$ atm. I spent a good part of the day dropping the trans and transfer case. Wayyy messier job than I anticipated. Plus it took me a while to realize the exhaust was bolted to the transfer case....:doh:

All and all, good day wrenching with the GF

image_23.jpeg

image_24.jpeg

Spent a few min on the cruiser. shaping to old clutch for the "new to me" clutch...six bolts in and out... super easy....until I broke one off in flywheel :bang: I guess air tools are a bad choice for this job.

image_28.jpeg

image_29.jpeg

Spent a few min on the cruiser. shaping to old clutch for the "new to me" clutch...six bolts in and out... super easy....until I broke one off in flywheel :bang: I guess air tools are a bad choice for this job.

image_28.jpeg

image_29.jpeg

Faster is not always the fastest way...

welded a nut to the broken bolt before the red loctite set up and was able to get it out of there and continue fitting the clutch. Waiting on the pizza man now to take care of the kiddos

image_30.jpeg

image_31.jpeg

image_32.jpeg

Love that trick for broken bolts, drilling them usually ends with the drill finding the softer material than the bolt "Guess that bolt did need moved over 1/4 inch...". Nice work!

Definitely a solid choice of tools, the linesman pliers on the floor and that wrench! Better put that impact away though!

Thanks so much to rkymtnflyfisher for coming up to get that heavy pos three speed mounted back to the bell housing. Had a hard time trying to safely make it happen with my sons. Video is first test run. It jumped right out of the driveway and kind of surprised me. Popped the clutch and about stalled going forward, lol. Night and day from before. Truck is finally coming together. Lots of other small issues to solve but a great afternoon cruise.

image_36.jpeg

While I had the skid plate off I wanted to change the oil in the trans. This pic is all that came out, even though the FAQ here says it should hold something like 3.8 qt???

Hard to tell but thats like nothing....

image_35.jpeg

That oil was a bit milky... You might want to run some elcheapo gear oil in the trans and t-case for a few miles and change it once or twice before filling it with decent stuff.

That oil was a bit milky... You might want to run some elcheapo gear oil in the trans and t-case for a few miles and change it once or twice before filling it with decent stuff.

I changed it again last week and the new oil already looked nasty (pic) l

I hadn't yet changed the t-case when I did it was almost empty and really dirty. I changed the diffs also, they were full of red oil, maybe marvel mystery oil?? Weird.

image_41.jpeg

first off road test of my 40 at the CLCC fall crawl at rausch creek. So fun to see everyone but a chilly chilly ride up there with no top or doors and a chillier night camping in the mountains of PA but so worth it!

wish I had gotten footage of the other trucks or some of the gnarlier terrain.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom